Scotch: Like Angels pissing on your tongue

So, is something I’ll develop a palette for in my 50’s, orrrrrr …?

Because it’s absolutely terrible now, IMO.

It really depends. I’m in my 50’s and have grown out of all forms of booze. Just zero interest in any.
That said, Scotch is a funny thing. Two self-professed Scotch lovers might absolutely hate what the other is drinking, while absolutely loving what they’re drinking.

Oban is the benchmark for me, as it’s the most neutral of Scotch flavors. If you taste that and still find it terrible, then you simply don’t have a taste for Scotch.

Some guys love the “peaty” taste of scotch, while others (myself included) think the peaty bottles taste like a roll of gauze soaked in a jug of rubbing alcohol.

Yup Scotch is incredibly personal. Oban is where I started and it’s still a bottle I can go back to and love. I’ve swung both ends of the peat scale and found I like moderate to light smokiness, nothing on either extreme.

Right now I’m in a MacAllan phase, drinking whatever I can get my hands on from that distillery. Some really great stuff.

The fanciest shot I drink thede days is Jager.

Maybe I’ve got some more maturing to do.

That’s me. I have never liked scotch at all.
I do love a great bourbon.

1 Like

Smoothest bourbon I ever had is distilled in MI by the New Holland brewing Co. Limited batches but definitely worth a try.

1 Like

image https://media1.tenor.com/images/16e8d895fb7e591d89681cd6e5c0aa39/tenor.gif?itemid=4986350

Have a bottle of Macallan 15 in the pantry today. Depending how the Lions play it might get cracked.

Well, did it get cracked?

No, I did not feel the need to destroy my brain this weekend.

1 Like

How about when Laine had to open his mouth again?

Plenty of good scotches out there, the search for bourbon is more difficult imo and rum is the hardest. The “craft” bourbons have gotten a lot better but I like one that scratches my throat a little, like “Clyde Mays”. Rum was a labor of love because I drink rum vs scotch when I smoke cigars. While all liquors are something of a moving target for me, for now, Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela has been my favorite. I am on the “less sweet” scale of rums and this one is right there.

Not the biggest fan of bourbon. Though I do occasionally take a nip of Makers. I always keep a bottle around to cook with

What, not a fan of the Canadian booze?

Never got the hang of hard stuff in general. Too much of a lightweight for liquor, and too much of a man to deal with the wine snobs (and sorry, but if you do the cork sniffing, and running commentary of pretentious words you don’t get, your nards should be in a jar someplace). Just beer for me. I have gotten an appreciation of other types of beer compared to the half dozen of my youth via the craft market and trips to Europe, but not to the “wine snob” extent.

When I was young I drank a bit but it was never about taste. I could taste the first beer and then you could give me any other brand and I didn’t care. I tell my girlfriend that she is the main course for dinner and everything else if parsley. Maybe I don’t have great taste buds, but I never got the fascination with the taste aspect of drinking?

It’s all about “pairing” JR. I like pairing rum with cigars, and tequila with loose women.

My life and career revolve around alcohol. I’m literally thinking about and or drinking alcohol every waking moment of every day.

And surprisingly I don’t live in a cardboard box or van down by the river (yet)

bump

What’s your favorite rum?