Scout's Take On Barnes

That’s my hope for Barnes, that he’s able to be the guy by mid season.

I, myself, was guessing Jamie Collins would be the green dot, Alex as the WILL (4-3) or JACK/MO (3-4) off ball. Then we’ll use the Okwara Bros as the OLBs/SAM/WILL Romeo as the contain DE who will set edge outside TE and then rush, and Julian as the force chaser on weakside.

Barnes and JMR could surprise though as off ball LBs. Barnes as the MLB. JMR as Jack.

All just guesses. A lot of uncertainty with our DLine roles, IMO. Some say 4-3. Maybe. But 3-4 under just as easy really except I think it might leave Flowers with a lesser role.

Keep in mind the article was trying to find positives for many of the teams drafts. And this was one scout. I’m still glad a scout feels this way, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

What’s interesting with Barnes is his scouting reports are all over the place. I see things like this where guys are saying early round talent, and others like on ESPN that had him barely draftable and a major reach. It’s pretty wild.

1 Like

Some of those Barnes highlights look phenomenal. I know highlights aren’t everything, but I think he is going to be really good at the MIKE for us. Just a gut feeling.

That’s why I was skeptical of him when we first drafted him.

I don’t watch much college football, just the occasional highlight… So when ESPN had him rated 252 and said “he potential to quickly develop into a core special teams player”, well, wasn’t thrilled.

Thankfully there are people on this board that dig deeper and share that info

1 Like

Same. I don’t want to get too far out ahead of him, but he’s been healthy, has speed and plays with tremendous power and leverage.

I thought Davis was a perfect specimen for a Levy type replacement. It’s what’s going on between the ears for him that is his undoing. That and he had injuries.

Anyway, Barnes looks like a keeper the day after the draft like Davis did, so I feel the need to wait and see how he handles the big league before getting too pumped. I do like what I see so far, though.

This also speaks to Mock draft people and their grades. I saw an F grade for this pick bc the evaluator deems he was a 7th round pick and so therefore this was a huge reach.

Trust the process.

1 Like

My guess is that …,Collins is our 3 down LBer.

The other LBer role will be based off packages.

The Lions will run two LBers most of the time along with a nickel package. Subbing out a LBer for a NB.

3 Likes

In my mind, the fourth round and beyond is where teams should gamble. I don’t really consider any prospect a ‘reach’ past round three. And it’s hard to consider them ‘busts‘ too. Just late round guys who didn’t work out. And if they do, it’s a bonus

2 Likes

My first thought watching him was a more explosive tulloch. Similar build even.

3 Likes

Man, that would be good news if he does, just from a buy-in and leadership perspective.

He reminds me a little of Devin White. Obviously doesn’t have the 4.4 speed of White, but does have closing speed, and instincts. Virtually the opposite of Jared Davis.

Tulloch with more pass rushing chops was my comp as well. Barnes is more raw as a mike of course.

1 Like

He’s much more athletic then Tulloch. Does he have Tulloch’s instincts though? If he does then we have one hell of a lb on our team.

Yeah. I didn’t realize Tulloch ran a 4.9 at the combine. He played much faster than that IMO.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the thing we can’t know until they play. That’s where Davis fell apart. All that tape, all that study, all that prep… then bzzzt, something fried on gameday.

1 Like

I think what you will see may look like 3-4 but will be more a 5-2
We will use Flowers the Okwara bros an Harris as out side LB’s
We will use couple LBs or even nickle a lot.
Collins an Anzalone as standard but bring in Barnes when it looks like sure run down. They have a lot of flex now not pigeon hole players. think we keep 10 DLman an just 5 LBs
we have some DE’s that can play OLB an will play on edge

I think once Barnes completely embarrasses Taivai in camp, he’ll start getting some snaps as an Inside Backer next to Collins. I think in obvious passing situations they’ll run with Anzalone / JRM but in true 3-4 base sets that we WILL run, on shorter down and distance, we’ll see Barnes gets some run. He’ll eventually be a starter, as soon as next year IMO.

1 Like

I thought we were running a nickel base set?

Awkward Season 4 GIF by The Office

4 Likes

Jinx…total effing jinx.

soul calibur reaction s GIF