Scout's Take On Barnes

lol … Everybody’s doing it.

tom cruise laughing GIF

Nickel base is starting to annoy me as much as Nickelback.

Can we just get back to normal and ague about Matt Stafford?

3 Likes

Really curious to see how he does with the jets this year. DC gave him praise in an interview, but he decided it was best move on for a change of scenery which I can’t totally blame him for… but moving on to the jets?? Is that much worse than staying with the Lions?

I do wish him the best and hope he succeeds. Always liked his mentality and he got kinda screwed in that he was put through 2 different scheme changes without ever getting a solid footing on what he was supposed to do…

But MP praised himself as valuing teachers and being a teacher… yeah right…

2 Likes

Lol. I actually appreciate the broader discussion, but I can’t trust an opportunity to throw some gas on the fire.

world's fails GIF by World’s Funniest

1 Like

Nope I’ll take Nickel base over Nickelback any day.

Does that make it our “base defense” then? :slight_smile:

But the Jets offered him 7M! That was absolutely astonishing to me. I was thinking we could get him back for a year @ 1.5M or 2M max. to see if he could prove it with the new regime. But 7M??? Good God, we’re not coming close to matching that! Wish him good luck. It kind of astounded me that he didn’t succeed here.

3 Likes

Oh wow I forgot/didn’t know he got $7mil. That’s crazy! Yeah I’d have given him what you said, no way that much… and definitely don’t blame him, take the money while it’s there!

Thanks for the reminder. I hope it works out for him over there

1 Like

Watching some more of Derrick Barnes he could be pretty special at the Mike. He has very good instincts and his react and go ability is pretty special. His ability to diagnose and take proper angles impresses me as well.

There was a couple times when dropping back in coverage he was reading the qbs eyes and was able to make a play. It didn’t look robotic(Davis), but looked natural.

He looks bigger then 236lbs. That dude is thickly built.

I’m stoked he’ll be playing behind Collins because there’s a lot of similarities. They can gradually ease him into the Mike and Collins will make an excellent teacher.

Like this pick more and more and I have to think had this dude played off ball more then just his Senior year he would have been drafted much higher I think.

Nickleback is actually a position, could be a slot corner, or a ground covering LB or Safety Hybrid type. Nickel Base is not a thing at all. Nickle is a sub-package. It may be one that you run 90% of the time. Does not make it a base defense. It’s still a sub-package. And Stafford was the best QB we had since Bobby Layne.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. Though I do agree with @wesleysh21 that this whole argument is to some degree semantics. Take Jeff Casteel’s 3-3-5 defense for instance. That was their base alignment and personnel package. They are playing nickel. So …?

More then anything I think modern football has moved to the point in which it’s an amalgamation of concepts from all different eras, systems, levels of play, etc. Hence a purist’s insistence on utilizing traditional terms can at times lead to odd, bordering on paradoxical, descriptions.

And Matt Stafford was totally the greatest Lions QB ever … until we got Cerad Goffling!

Oh and I meant the band Nickelback in my earlier post. Since they’re seemingly synonymous with sucking. Just added a terrible gif to that post as it admittedly was rather unclear.

Why can I only give this post one like?

It’s pretty damn good. First thing Nickelback related that I’ve ever liked. Well that and five weeks of Justin Coleman.

It’s a 3-3-5 Defense. Not a Nickle Base defense. It may be semantics, but the term semantics makes it seem like either or, doesn’t matter. That isn’t truly the case. You call things by what they are called. There is no Nickle Base or Dime Base defense. They are not football terms, they are made up terms to describe something that already has a description. It’s a Nickle Defense, which is a sub-package of many various defensive schemes. It’s like saying JOk isn’t a LB anymore if he lines up on the LOS. Yes he is. It’s just a sub-package where he is in the personnel group they want, and he happens to line up where a wide-9 DE would. I wouldn’t call that semantics. I’d call him a LB in a sub-package to get a little more speed off the edge, sacrificing sand against the run. But hey… I played LG in 8th grade football so what do I know lol…

I wonder if Casteel ripped the Reno Gazette a new one for writing this then. Nah, he probably realized it doesn’t freaking matter

Fwiw with a quick Google search you can find a myriad of football sites stating that a 3-3-5 can be a base defense.

Agreed. It is not called a Nickle Base Defense. It’s called a 3-3-5, like a 3-4 or 4-3. But again, what do I know. JOk and Austin Bryant are both listed as DE’s on the roster…

If nickle is a sub package, then what is a 4-2-5?

But a nickle defense is called nickle because it has 5 DBs. So if a 335 or 425 defense has 5 DBs, then they are nickle defenses. So are you saying that a team can’t use a 425 as their base?

1 Like

I think we found our future middle linebacker. Plus, I like giving up a future pick now to develop now, rather than later.

I think it was a good move.