Sean McVay trolls NFL on Lions-Cowboys blown call

To be fair he had BP open too. Perhaps not to the same degree but he just missed on an easy throw. Pulled the string as he does from time to time.

Matt made the correct throw.

The refs correctly threw the flag.

Then they inexplicably picked it up.

The play, though, was read properly from the presnap read, the motion, the underneath traffic that left a LB trailing Pettigrew, who was then holding him through the route.

This argument is tired and something Iā€™d expect from Cowboys fans. Itā€™s also proof of Stafford Derangement Syndrome thatā€™s resulted in Lions fans siding with refs and/or the Cowboys, despite the fact that the head of officiating has said they blew it and every football analyst on the planet says the refs screwed us.

Deranged to the point of not being credible in your assessment of the QB. Seriously. Yā€™all accuse people of being jock sniffers and wives, but look at yourselves in the mirror. Youā€™re sick.

4 Likes

This is easy;

Refs miss penalties all the timeā€¦everywhere.

What no one has seen is a ref, in a playoff game in the 4th quarter, throw a flag on a play that is an obvious penalty. Then huddle up, pick it up and immediately be questioned by everyone everywhere as to how there was any justification for picking it up. Then the league saying next day. Yeah, there was no justification.

I mean itā€™s not like refs make up new rules on the spot to fuck the Lionsā€¦

CQmq-tgUAAAPn96

Ohā€¦waitā€¦

6 Likes

Too bad our then HC didnt know the rules on that play and then proceeded to downplay the whole situation when asked after the game.
B0jotaWIEAAp-0_

3 Likes

I just watched the clip that Snags posted and I think the pass interference part of it is a pretty weak call. Was reading an old article and apparently there was holding earlier in the play that was a much more obvious call, but they didnā€™t call that, they called the pass interference, and that was pretty weak.

Iā€™ve got flagrant, text book PI. Iā€™d be pissed 100x out of a 100, if this was done to my team, no matter what level Iā€™m coaching. never looked back for the ball and body all over him. Zero attempt to play the ball, only impede the route. You canā€™t do that.

Not looking at the ball is bad technique but there is nothing illegal about it. It does tend to get you more pass interference calls. You can get away with a lot more if youā€™re watching the ball.

Just remember anything after Pettigrew touches the ball is completely legal. So watch it again and pause it at the exact moment Pettigrew touches the ball and ask yourself if it was pass interference. My answer is no.

The correct call in Dallas was holding. PI was weak and also correct to call as contact was made and the defender didnā€™t move his head to track the ball.

I bet Seanā€™s take is interesting to a Saints fan!

[quote=ā€œsocko, post:27, topic:13908ā€]
Not looking at the ball is bad technique but there is nothing illegal about it. It does tend to get you more pass interference calls. You can get away with a lot more if youā€™re watching the ball.

Just remember anything after Pettigrew touches the ball is completely legal. So watch it again and pause it at the exact moment Pettigrew touches the ball and ask yourself if it was pass interference. My answer is no.
[/quote

Here ya go. They pause it for you. Ask yourself the same questions. Super-easy PI call, if you asked me. Even when Mike Peirerra reviews it. Watch the body language of the players. Defender knew he interfered, Pettigrew knew, Stafford knew, refs knew, Pereyraā€™s review hereā€¦everyone I know in person, especially the ppl I watched the game withā€¦all agree. PI.

Itā€™s too bad that wasnā€™t video. Iā€™m sure I could find it out there somewhere if I really wanted. Stafford underthrowing the ball isnā€™t particularly convincing to me. Which is the only reason that Pettigrew would be trying to go backwards.

#truth. Ball was underthown. Defender was beaten like a drum from the get go. Held off the LOS. He was disoriented and prayingā€¦dude was ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– . Matt may even have been throwing it there on purpose/maybe not. Pettigrew comes back to the ball when an off balance, out of control defender that is beaten in coverageā€¦easy way to draw PI. QBs do that all the Time.

Mattā€™s intentā€¦or underthown ball asideā€¦this was a bad, bad call.

Yeah, I donā€™t know about that. Defender has as much right to that position as offensive player. If there was a grab there of an arm or jersey or if he tackled him before the ball got there. That would be an obvious PI.

If you watch closely, Pettigrew is running with Hitchens facemask in his hand for like 10 yards, and Hitchens actually tries to swat Pettigrewā€™s hand off his facemask.

He holds him, then shoves him TWICE before the ball ever gets close.
Hereā€™s the perfect viewā€¦in slow motion.

That was a good video. Thanks. What I see is a lot of hand fighting by both of them and then the defender doesnā€™t play the ball and just tries to stay with the TE and keep his hands up and the ball is way underthrown and hits him in the back. If you want to get really picky you could call both of them. But I think no call was the right call. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Heā€™s holding his jerseyā€¦then shoves his shoulder pad backward (not hand fighting). Thatā€™s what I have seen every time Iā€™ve painfully reviewed it.

Well itā€™s like Dave Mason said. There ainā€™t no good guy. There ainā€™t no bad guy. Thereā€™s only you and me and we just disagree.

1 Like

LB,

There are so many different explanations that you cannot say that any of them are correct, you just canā€™tā€¦and literally thereā€™s not one thing in your post that is correct and is just your opinion.

Blandino said that the PI was too questionable but it should have been holding on Hitchens.
Pereira said that the flag should have been thrown for PI.
Pettigrew was running with Hitchens facemask in his hand the whole way.
It was a horribly, badly thrown ball and a horrible read by Matt.
Pettigrew had a step on Hitchensā€¦and probably could have created more separation if he wasnā€™t running with Hitchens facemask in his hand, there was nobody over the top of Pettigrew, how is a pass into the back of the defender a good pass? LOL
Not to mention that Calvin is running wide-open.

I try to call them fairly and like Weasel pointed out, the Seattle game was a hose-job. The Chicago game was a hose-jobā€¦and people could probably name-off a dozen more incidentsā€¦but I canā€™t, with a clear conscience, say that the Dallas game was a hose-job and if anything there should have been a flag on Pettigrew that would have negated any of the other stuff anyways.

Your attempt to try and shame anyone that doesnā€™t agree with you by calling them sick and itā€™s just a bias against Matt and somehow not credible is just beyond words. Just an absolutely, horrible take on your part.

Is ā€œholdingā€ a facemask still holding or should it be called something else?..I kid, a little.

So much wrong going-on in this play, I donā€™t know how anyone can be mad that ā€œtheirā€ flag didnā€™t get thrown.
Pettigrew runs with Hitchens facemask in his hand, the first foul.
Hitchens tugs on Pettigrewā€™s jersey but it doesnā€™t seem to interfere or alter his ability to run straight.
Horribly thrown pass.
Faceguarding is not a penalty.
Some contact.
Once the pass hits a defender, there is no pass interference after.

Not to mention, the Lionā€™s went into a hole after the 1st quarter only scoring 6 points. We threw an interception and 3 fumbles.
I would have loved to have seen the Lionā€™s win that game but as bad as they were and with Pettigrew running with Hitchens facemask in his hand, Iā€™m fine with a no-call as there were fouls on both teams. A call on only one team would have been arguably a bad call.

So many more games that we did clearly get screwed over.
Justin Forsett says hi to everyone.

1 Like

The biggest hose-job was the Green Bay MNF game that probably got Booger McFarland fired because he correctly called it a hose job.

I also recall the Kansas City game in 2019 being a hose job. Kerryon Johnson was down and the play was dead before the KC Player ran the ball back for a 99 yard touchdown because the refs were ā€œafraidā€ to blow the whistle because (as the television crew pointed out) they were accused of prematurely blowing whistles in 2 other games.

2 Likes