Second-round selections of Levi Onwuzurike and Josh Paschal not paying off

Titanic sunk.

Did the lions 2nd rd curse finally end with this past draft? I believe the answer is yes!

2 Likes

no-way-jim-carrey

Of course no GM is going to be perfect. I think Brad has done very well drafting.

I also still think Levi O was a terrible pick because of the red flags for injuries (which Holmes admitted he knew about before the draft), and they knew Paschal had injuries as well. Just hasn’t panned out at all. Paschal still has time.

2 Likes

Brad sitting on his laurels during the trade deadline in a year we should have been buyers has dulled his shine a little for me. Check out this paragraph explaining why the Niners are favored against the Eagles

“San Francisco’s pass rush has been dominant since acquiring Chase Young, having a 61% pressure rate and 15% sack rate. No quarterback has thrown a touchdown pass against the 49ers since Young arrived, as opposing quarterbacks have a 56.4 passer rating in three games with Young. Nick Bosa has 22 pressures and Arik Armstead has 16 since Young arrived, as his presence has significantly helped the 49ers’ front.”

5 Likes

I know they knew about Levi’s injuries but I thought Paschal got injured in OTA’s or something like that, iow, after the draft.

Not disagreeing with your comments, just clarifying my memory

Wow.

Individually, one has to think Young’s play has improved because; (1) motivated by contract year; and (2) having Nick Bosa on the other side (who is an upgrade from Montez Sweat).

1 Like

It was also a chance to ‘fix’ the Okudah mistake. Getting Young anyway. Which is who almost all of us wanted. Instead we give away Okudah for a box of crackers and wouldn’t even give a third round pick for Young

1 Like

Or, Brad knew we weren’t/aren’t there yet, and renting an expensive piece could do us as much harm as good. If you go back and look at trade deadline deals by contending teams, 75% of them don’t work out how they hoped. But we only remember the 25% who did.

2 Likes

Kerby had a lot more splash plays last year so a 1 year snapshot on him isnt reality. Rodrigo in the 6th is also a win.

Gotta stop drafting hurt guys…

1 Like

Alim’s been good though!

I also think it’s too early to tell on Paschal and BroMart. Levi was definitely a mistake.

3 Likes

DL/rush LB next year

Stays- Hutch, Paschal, Houston, Alim, BroMart, Benito- 2 starters there plus Houston as situational flamethrower

Bubble- Commish(contract rework), Harris, Buggs- Probably just Commish as swing backup.

Gone- Levi, Rokwara, Jokwara.

Read between the lines, its starting DE in FA or Rd 1 and probably a DT as well.

I don’t see what harm getting Young could do if you’re only giving up a 3rd round pick. And this is a year where we most likely will host a playoff game

Anyone who watched bye bye Barry knows there’s no guarantee we will stay an annual playoff contender. That 1991 team was also full of young talent

Not getting help this year, cheap makes no sense to me still

1 Like

Both Levi and Paschal careers have been derailed by injuries.

Hard to develop and improve when u miss more games than you play.

Alim has steadily improved but he’s been healthy.

Durability is just so important to development.

2 Likes

I would have been fine with the move, but to pretend there wasn’t any downside is shortsighted imo.

Why was no one else offering more than a late 3rd? Why was Washington moving on? What are his medicals like? He’s been hurt most of his career. What is his work ethic like? What if he infects our young roster with bad habits? What kind of contract is he gonna want in 6 months? He has a reputation for playing hard when he wants to, everyone here should have known that isn’t what our FO looks for in a player.

We like to think we know all sides of a deal, but the truth is we’re on the outside and have no idea about the finer details. The same is true of the draft honestly.

IF we were a veteran roster with a legit shot - like so many believed - then you could maybe deal with the downside for what he can offer positively. Like San Francisco.

1 Like

Levi is lucky to be standing upright and Paschal is the reincarnation of Da’Shawn Hand

1 Like

Because the only buyers are teams in a playoff hunt with a need for DE. And it’s basically a rental. Still, for a third, who cares. A team likely gets that back in comp value if they don’t resign

He’s apparently healthy at the moment

If he “infects” our players with bad habits, then this coaching staff isn’t as strong as we thought it was

If our FO is that myopic that it always will overlook skill to get their character guys then we will never be the Super bowl contender we hope they could be

It’s a sign of a truly good organization who can -coach- good habits and doesn’t need to only collect players who don’t need coaching

I mean we passed up on Carter who is one of the best DT in the league at the moment. And we passed on Young who is taking SFs Dline to the next level

Meanwhile we only have Hutch and allow passers three seconds per dropback.

8-3 lol

Trending up still with many pundits
With nfl backing and media plugs
See lions as doing things the right way.

Again
Who is the comparison against and what should be expected on missed picks ?

Some of dline players severely impacted by injury so without really knowing those details and what they should’ve known prior to drafting is also up for debate.

You think Dan and Brad are over rated for taking lions from
Dumpster fire to opening night premiere nfl game in 3 years ?
… because they drafted some guys or made some moves that didn’t pay off ( yet ) as expected as if that’s unique to the lions.

What’s the point of the point ? Football always has what ifs

3 Likes

Oh God I hope ur wrong.

Hand has now played 6 nfl seasons and he’s up to 41 games played total. Do the math on that one. He misses about 10 games each year.

2 Likes