Second-round selections of Levi Onwuzurike and Josh Paschal not paying off

Well if you study 49ers film I’ll take your word for it. What’s your opinion on why statistically the Niners went from bottom five as a team in sacks and pressures to top on the league after he got there.

Statistically they were bringing the same pressure as the Lions up until the trade

If Young played half the snaps Bosa did last game, I assume they were on third down and passing situations. How did the defense account for him? What was the double team rate on Bosa before and after Young arrived

Young had a 25% Pass Rush Success rate all year before the trade. What is his PRSR the last three games?

We all know that after Houston became a legitimate edge threat last year around this time it freed up Hutch and the blitz packages more. What player will assume that role this year? Would Young have been a better choice?

Houston last year also played less snaps than Hutch but what effect did his emergence have on our pressure rates? And pressure to sack ratio? And how did the pressure correlate to turnovers?

I don’t have the luxury of studying the film of other teams so I’ll need to rely on articles, quotes from his teammates and cats like you in forming all these opinions.

Wilks was also under pressure after 3 straight losses…
from what I heard… he mixed a few things up at the same time as they acquired Young…

1 Like

Again imo Chase doesn’t guarantee those teams don’t do that anyways so this feels like one of those

That lions need to win everything to prove you wrong

Yet making a trade doesn’t guarantee a win either.

Lions still could be a notch below Eagles and Niners with Chase
Imo I think I’d have them a step below.

Win or loss. I’d settle for Hutch not being doubled constantly and and allowing three seconds per drop back for opposing QBs

I do guarantee a player like Young would help that. They don’t need to win everything to prove me wrong. They could start by just applying a little pressure starting Sunday. According to ESPN Young has the seventh most amount of wins and is tied for 6th best win rate percentage this year

Can someone not named Hutch get edge pressure? Paschal? Okwara? Harris?

2 Likes

Hutchinson is getting a treatment so the NFL demoralizes him. Keep Detroit Lions down. Crosby deals with the same. Yet, tonight, we didnt see Parsons have to deal with holding, jersey grabs, clotheslines.

1 Like

Dallas was getting serious home cooking. Refs always seem to love the Cows

They ( the NFL) want to demoralize Hutchinson, and they’re doing a great job. He is tired because he goes 100 mph every play. I wish the rest of the DL did that…

When is the last time a Lions OL blocked a DE like Hutch amd Crosby gets blocked?

Parsons didnt see that level of play tonight. He didnt see that level of dirtiness tonight…

Why?

And the…aside from Hutch…

We have guys that have been on the roster for multiple years, paid more, and can’t even register a pressure?

I dont know how Campbell/Glenn/DL coach look at these guys in their face after a game.

I will say Paschal got some good penetration off the snap two week ago when lined up as a DT. He actually exploded off the snap. He is a strong DE, bump inside on pass.rush downs…ar this point, try Barnes as a DE in the pass rush package…while Paschal bumps inside…

Paschal needs to shoot gaps on obvious pass downs, promblem is he is inconsistent off the snap. He is last off the ball most of the time. Not sure what he thinks this is…?

These guys have been preached technique since they’ve been playing football. Theyre still in the NFL…its honesty amazing when you think about it.

Like, is it that easy as a coach and player?

1 Like

Someone in the building can’t evaluate Dline. Change it up this off-season, have someone else try nail the dline evals for the draft

Have we had the same Dline coach for the last 3-4 years?

I think most would have enjoyed adding a DL player, preferred it even, they can also understand the reasoning why the FO didn’t. May not agree with it but there is reasoning behind that decision.

Such a different discussion compared to the last decade or five.

1 Like

New one this year.

2 Likes

Ho Ho Ho Christmas GIF by BuzzFeed - Find & Share on GIPHY

1 Like

Perfect, watch the problem get solved this draft.

Sometimes it’s as simple as a different position coach who can evaluate better than the previous

That is one way to look at it.
Or
The Dline had more success last year than this year even without Houston, not saying great success but more. So is that on the new DL coach vs the old DL coach getting more out of the players?
Or
Is it something else entirely.

1 Like

Yep, that’s Brad’s sore spot thus far. Like most here, I have hopes for Paschal but one NFL level starting DLineman of 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the last 3 drafts isn’t good enough and it’s hurting the defense right now. Outside of UDFA Jacobs who is a backup really, he hasn’t drafted an outside corner either.

Holmes has done a lot of good but I think it’s fair to point out these missteps especially since it’s very relevant right now with the defense struggling.

1 Like

More success could be because the other guy was a better on field coach (practice & classroom), while maybe the new guy is a better evaluator of talent. Or at least I’m hoping so. We’ve all seen coaches that can get more out of less and Vice versa

All that being said I don’t even know the power dynamic in the Lion’s draft room. This is all assuming the position coach has actual say on draft selections. The way the Lion’s org works I would assume that to be true, but assuming has made me wrong plenty of times before…

I was looking forward to Houston this season.

We’ve seen those other guys pressure better maybe they recapture it.

1 Like

There’s some teams out there that are an absolute mess, and I think this offseason might see some very, very, interesting moves and trades. What’s clear is they really need to get some help for Hutchinson.

One of the biggest mysteries of the trade deadline was the Panthers not moving Brian Burns. I can only assume they are planning on franchise Tagging him.

How much does Kayvon Thibodaux help the Giants? Top to bottom, that team is a steaming hot mess in an unforgiving division. Is it time for them to hit the rebuild button and marshal their resources?

I think that a lot of people are failing to read between the lines of what the Lions, as a franchise, are saying. They have a plan that they are sticking to, and there seems to be a strong implication that the team is ahead of where they thought they would be. I don’t think they were ready to sink resources for rentals at the trade deadline. We’ll just have to see how it plays out.

2 Likes

I can respect that but as a fan I would have liked to have seen more urgency. What’s the difference between us and the Niners? We’re both 8-3. Both lead our divisions. We both have a three game lead over the next team

We both had an underperforming Dline that ranked bottom ten in pressures.

They went out and got the best pass rusher available at the deadline for a conditional 3rd and people are saying they were more ready or equipt?

I do think we are entering an era of sustained success. And this will be forgotten in the future. But after I watched Bye Bye Barry and remembering that 1991 team I also know that shouldn’t be assumed. That team was loaded with young talent. But something went wrong every year. One bad decision gave way to another….

What if Ben Johnson does move on and Goff does regress. I don’t think he will. But maybe. Then they give Hooker a chance but he’s a nightmare. Green Bay is also loaded with talent. Could be they win the next ten divison titles with us in a QB carousel regime death spiral

This is the year we are most likely going to win the NFC North. And that makes me happy! And we have a top five offense with a veteran QB playing at his peak. A great Oline…But we have a defense that struggles because it can’t generate pressure. This team isn’t winning a playoff game unless the offense scores 40. I get they have a plan. But it’s also a big missed opportunity to make a run this year IMO

2 Likes

Depth. They’ve had a lot more time to fill out the roster. Depth is our biggest issue right now, especially on D (and along the OL honestly). CJGJ and Houston’s injuries hurt us an inordinate amount because we don’t have the depth to overcome them (Moseley too to an extent, at least he was supposed to create more depth by moving Jacobs to CB3).

Every team struggles when they lose their studs. Very few get better with the backup QB for instance. And that same Niners team struggled when Williams and Deebo were out, those guys are key to what they do.

But good teams can next-man-up when they lose a 2nd year edge and a nickel safety. We can’t. Not yet. That’s the issue with only being in the 2nd year of a rebuild. Brad has done a good job improving our starters but it just takes time to fill out the roster.

Know what would he the best remedy for a struggling DB corps?

Not letting the QB get comfortable in the pocket. Not giving them three seconds. Not relying on one player to generate edge pressure

2 Likes