Sewell Starting LT

I agree 100%. Offensive tackle is one of those positions where you want more than 2 good ones. Few teams have that, but if you do then this is one place you want to keep that depth.

Well, the scenario I laid out is hypothetical. And I can see why people want to keep Decker. I’m not opposed to it.

But, if Sewell steps up and Nelson does too, you’ve got two good tackles. And can add to it in the next draft.

The value you would get by moving Decker is the extra cash to sign a nice free agent AND draft a top first round prospect. Few teams have 3 good tackles because there so many other positions to address. Again, it’s based on Sewell and Nelson stepping up big time, Decker becomes redundant because he’s not a RT and even if he was he’d be a highly overpaid one.

Bottom line is, if we’re going to cry about the Lions lack of talent and the two OTs that start on Sunday do well vs. the SF front, you’ve got to get on the phone to move Decker. You need to add WRs and LB and more. Need ammo for that.

Some fans really enjoy the rebuild phase. So much so they like to constantly be in it.

5 Likes

I see that but ultimately you build team eith the players.

Right now this team has invested heavily in tackles so you are still just pouring resources.

Nelson being a surprise could be wildcard if he plays like a plus tackle

Apparently both of us are using faulty math. :rofl:

This deserves a mic drop.

Animated GIF

The Lions always half-ass it. Hence the “rebuilding since 1957” bit. Do it right for once. If and that’s a big IF, Sewell is a stud at LT over the next few weeks, Taylor Decker becomes redundant. And has great value that can be parlayed into assets for the rebuild. If trading him means I get a 1st rounder AND the ability to sign a top free agent, I don’t see why we need to scared about doing that. You burned a 7th overall pick on Sewell to watch him struggle moving positions. That’s SOL. If he handles Bosa, you gotta move him there and then move Decker. Again, this is a huge opportunity. Getting to see him at LT is a gift.

Call me crazy but it seems to me the best way to build a team is to upgrade your bad players not your good players.

1 Like

This is not about feelings. We all appreciate Decker. But he literally becomes redundant if Sewell shows he’s a stud natural LT.

If so, you can get probably like $12m in ANNUAL cap space (allowing $6m per year for a Nelson resign or even more for a draft pick to come in at RT) for the next three years to sign a stud defender or whatever PLUS a 1st round pick by moving him you’ve gotta do it. He’s not a RT. And, perhaps, neither is Sewell.

In this scenario, you should be able to get two fine players for a redundant LT.

Dan is redhot today and he nailed it again. “Call me crazy but it seems to me the best way to build a team is to upgrade your bad players not your good players.”

How many times do you want the mic dropped on you? Eventually you have to see the light, right? Or are you the black knight?

im invincible monty python GIF

Still waiting to hear what happens if Decker becomes redundant. If Sewell is the talent at LT he was appraised to be and shows it and you move him back to RT, you’re not coming close to maxing the value that’s available. That’s how you build great rosters, looking for ways to add studs wherever and whenever you can.

Bottom line: if Sewell shows up as a stud LT you’ve got a problem. A very good problem if you’re smart about it.

I don’t understand the fascination with Carson Wentz memes. The guy isn’t NFL qb royalty by any stretch.

4 Likes

I don’t think you’re seeing the big picture here. We are likely to move a “redundant” player, but his name is BigV. We will get nothing for him except savings. We need all the talent we have acquired on the OL. You don’t pay guys like Nelson $6 million a year, we’re just getting rid of all those contracts right now. We need to build continuity on both lines, which if we don’t screw this up will be the strength of this team.

3 Likes

Still waiting for you to give a rational explanation why you would decide Decker is redundant and needs to be shipped out for magic beans.

Waiting…
Mr Mayor Waiting GIF by NBC

I’ve never in my life considered that an Andy Dalton image and not Carson Wentz. Are you playing 8D chess bro?

I suppose if Sewell is awesome at LT and horrible at RT then you could have a point. If he’s good at both, then yeah maybe move him back to RT. If he sucks at both, then you know you’re a Lions fan.

1 Like

You can’t chase lost bets, in terms of Big V. He’s toast.

But, again, IF, Sewell is the player everyone thought he was at LT, putting him back at RT to struggle is idiotic. When you can get like TWO good players for a redundant LT in Decker.

You pay Nelson six million IF he shows he’s a solid RT. Again, hypothetical. If not you draft a kid and pay him even less.

Final time: this if IF Sewell looks like the kid at Oregon at LT. If not, then all of this is moot.

But to clutch your pearls at trading Decker for a first if Sewell looks the part at LT, well I think that’s sentiment.

What’s the point? Decker has played LT his entire life. He spent a brief year at RT and he literally launched Khalil Mack’s draft campaign. Sewell is a RT who played some LT but is now being asked to move back. If Sewell fails, it won’t be because he’s foreign to the task. Its because he isn’t worthy. Decker has already proved himself worthy.

1 Like

Yeah, you lost this Rams fan at “redundant”. Orlando Pace usurping a young solid first rounder in Gandy was an early landmark in, ironically, both the birth and death of the Greatest Show on Turf era for The Rams,imo. The cascading problems caused on the right nearly ended Kurt Warner’s career just a few years later, never mind the GSOT, Bulger’s career before it started,my blood pressure, etc. And I don’t think any alternatives on the current Lions roster are anywhere near as likely to be serviceable as Gandy and Fred Miller were @ RT for The Rams.

The obsession with magic beans…shortsighted fantasy football armchair GM-ship, imo. The Rams largely botched their magic beanbag, so to speak, with the RGIII haul. Looks like The Raiders are getting there, too.

1 Like

Sewell is a LT. Your bit about him being a RT is silly.