Should Dan Campbell be fired?

@kalspa wants to see a longitudinal survey. 72% of you wanted more kneecaps after 1-5. Well, now we’re at 2-6.

• Fire Dan Campbell
  • More Knee Caps Please!

0 voters

I think as time goes on, we are seeing that Holmes might be the guy but Campbell certainly is not. He did everything he could to blow that game yesterday but they won despite his best efforts.

10 Likes

I still refuse to vote until Brad Holmes is attached to the question.

However good everyone’s feelings may be about rookie production yesterday (and I’m just as jolly as anyone), it’s still Brad’s roster that is now 2-6.
It was still 5 losses amassed before the 2nd round player played.
We still don’t see last year’s 2nd round player.
We still haven’t seen our 2nd 1st round player.

You cannot hold MCDC wholly accountable for the record. It’s shared with Holmes.

2 Likes

Beat the Bears on the road, start a winning streak and I’ll give Campbell some credit! Not going to overreact to a close win at home vs a Packers team that kinda sucks.

3 Likes

Yeah I find it funny everyone talking about all the rookies starting, but they miss the fact there starting because the vets and fa signings by Holmes has been so bad that the rookies are having to play. And our record is so bad the season was over by Halloween this year so there’s that also. Holmes has been good in his drafts, but his inability to hit in FAs and add a vet presents has also really hurt this teams progress.

And I know you can’t like one part and not the other on this board it’s all one or another but that’s how I see it.

2 Likes

I will say that dan tried to give that game away yesterday but the packers wanted to lose more

1 Like

I am still in the FIRE DAN CAMPBELL camp. I noticed in the post game interview he is still talking “Alex”, what a moron.

Yeah it’s kind of ridiculous that Holmes has spent all that money on bad free agents. He’s tied up large amounts of cash for years and years. He’s done nothing to improve our cap situation either. We are going to be living in cap hell that he created for the next five years because of the bad free agents he signed.

Give me a break. He signed cheap stopgap players, leadership guys, or guys on prove it deals (still on the cheap). He doesn’t care so much if the Lions suck this year. He wants another shot at the draft and we have six picks in the first three rounds. We will also have a lot of money to spend on free agents. So please save me from reading how awful his free agents are. It’s nearly by design.

6 Likes

No. Don’t fire him yet. He’s barely started. They have a plan, they’re sticking to it and for just once they need to let someone finish what they started before getting rid of them. Get rid of him now and what? Hire another coach for 2 or 3 years and then fire him? Then do it all again. Jesus Christ, let someone actually have a chance and do what they had planned and finish the fucking job. Everyone knows that they weren’t going to build a winner in 2 or 3 years. They even said it would take longer. The way I see it, he has another 2 or 3 years to change this culture in Detroit. It’s a losing culture and part of that losing culture is getting rid of coaches too fucking early. Let the man finish what he started.

4 Likes

They should’ve let him pick his own coach.

2 Likes

Voted more kneecaps, Erin’s tasted a little earthy, like a vegans…

3 Likes

Agreed. Odds are against every coach being successful so in the end the doubters will thump their chests and say, “we told you so”. But you have to give Brad and Dan more than 25 games with what they are trying to change. They might just surprise. Or would you rather have another Flowers or Jesse James, or Trufant signings that F everything up for years?

1 Like

By nature of the job, I think GMs get a longer window and a longer leash. Setting all emotion and hype aside, we won’t really know if Holmes is good until about 4 years after he took over. Players take time to develop. Rosters take time to take shape. Most coaches are who they are after two years. You can make bad decisions with good players or bad players.

3 Likes

SOLF The guy has infused talent in two drafts. He’s obviously gotta be perfect. He must hit on all his draft picks and sign top of the line FAs (with barely any cap space mind you) and tell Campbell how to coach. Same requirements as Caldwell.

The 2022 draft is starting to look pretty darn good. Yesterday we had 3 INTS from 2 rookies vs a hall of fame QB. Rodrigo, Kerby, Hutch and Paschal all starting. Rookie TE Mitchell caught a TD. Now we gotta see Jamo! If Jamo is what we all think he will be, that’s 6 starters in 1 draft.

3 Likes

But some want him on the list of guys that’s gotta go. Go figure!

Yea way too early on that one. Gotta see how these young players develop. The 2021 draft isn’t looking quite as good. Sewell and St. Brown were great picks. But Levi and Iffy are looking like busts in year 2, and they were 2nd and 3rd rounders. Barnes showed us some real potential yesterday, that was good to see.

1 Like

My friend told me he heard on Cowherd that Sean Payton said when he was being asked about Dan Campbell before he was hired, Payton said he would be the offense version of Vrabel.

Haven’t seen the link but, the offense has definitely improved and been pretty good despite the injuries.

Now if we could just fix the defense…

2 Likes

No, we were supposed to be Super Bowl champs this year! Didn’t you know that? This “work a plan” is nonsense, nonsense I tell ya!! Everyone knows you should be able to turn around a 70 year shit team in a year and a half! The fact that he hasn’t means he is trash, has lost the team, and probably doesn’t even like kneecaps! The lions fan base is ridiculous

1 Like

Some of you guys just don’t get it.

Every ounce of judgement you weigh Dan down with, you are also weighing Brad with. Likewise, every ounce of grace you extend Brad must also be extended to Dan.

Dan’s performance is tied to Holmes’s performance far more than the other way around. If you’re looking at Brad with grace and patience, the same must be done for Dan.

At some point they will split into two more distinct lines, but from this point in the rebuild, you just can’t, especially since everyone can acknowledge that the players literally are not there. That part’s not even disputed.

1 Like