Should the lions draft a QB round 1?

The next time someone asks me why I think Quinn has built a good team, I’m going to copy and paste the entire roster to the thread and follow it up with “ You’re merely whining.”

3 Likes

Before you sign anyone you put them through a physical and get an opinion from the medical staff. That may be more where the questions lie. How many games someone played has nothing to do with the specific injury or what the prognosis is. Getting cut late in camp can be a financial move, locker room issue or anything else.

There is nothing that was “corrected”. All of those players have shown they can perform in the league. Yes whining about injuries is just whining. All players are subject to injuries in the NFL, just look at all of the top talents that went on the IR in the last week or two.

The Lions have a pretty good roster. They need another RB, LB or two and help with the pass rush. The record has nothing to do with the roster.

Hmmm,Okay, Dora.

3 Likes

I am not saying that the Lions SHOULD draft a QB in round 1, but it’s not a bad idea, especially if we happen to trade back and end up with 2 first round picks. In fact, this is something I would be very high on.

****** THE PATRIOT WAY ********

For those like me, that are still waiting for the lions brass to do 1 single thing the Patriot way, check this out.

The Patriots in the last decade have used SEVEN DRAFT PICKS ON QUARTERBACKS! This is while they had the GOAT in his glory days. They used a few 7th rounders but also invested a 4th rounder, (2) 3rd rounders and (1) 2nd round pick on Quarterbacks. That should tell you something. They actually landed Cassel, Brissett and Jimmy G with those picks.

Now, here goes the Lions in that same time frame: Brad Kaaya (6th). Jake Rudock (6th).

We didn’t even try. We are the polar opposite of the Pats and continue to be, which is why we are one of the worst teams in the NFL again and they are one of the best again.

1 Like

It may be more beneficial to go back before the glory days, to see how they built it, rather than compare the team that has luxury picks and basically all the leverage/no desperation in choices, trades, drafts, etc.

We are in a position of honoring our place in the process. Have to be.

no way do I spend a 1st round pick on a qb next year. this defense needs speedy impact players, especially on the dline.

a defense thrives on pressure, plain and simple. without pressure, it doesn’t matter who is behind the line.

2 Likes

I’m in with this idea as well, Holmes! Here’s to hoping they build trenches on both sides o te ball.
Shake’n’Bake!

1 Like

You can look at it that way too, but it doesn’t change the fact that they had the GOAT in his prime and still didn’t ignore the most important position on the field, like we do.

And just because the Pats are really good, doesn’t make their picks a luxury. They have a plan, and a good one. We throw shit at the wall, like blowing a #8OA pick on Iowa’s 2nd best tight end and hope he turns into the best tight end in NFL history. Nothing we do has ever resembled the Patriot way.

They were contenders before the goat-man got there, brother. Do you feel Quinn ignored QB2, this year? I feel like no stone was left unturned. The would you propose they do differently? How do we solve the problem?

What is a luxury pick to you, and how does one position themselves for such a thing? Having Tom, and not technically needing a QB?
Moss - we’re good without him, but if it works out - BAM
Antonio Brown - We’re good without him, but if he doesn’t work out, we’ll just send him packing. Lions had made the same move…Wahhh, wahhh, waaaaahhhh…Patriots would never do that…SOL…blah, blah, more boring blather.
Same w/QBs. Coach Bill is doing it w/QBs. I am not a cap guy, or a draft guy. Im’ not a top tier talent evaluator. Question…ARe they trading these backup QBs to other teams, or just bringing them in as backups. BB is operating at a different level, and much of it is because he’s built a system where he can AFFORD to do it. Those who emulate his moves, in the short term, may screw themselves. You have to honor where you are in the process.

What if Patriot way is more of a cultural thing? What if players complain when they have to work that hard?
I have no clue how this thing will work out, but I do feel like the Lions are trying something different here, and doing their best. I believe Martha is trying to win. I didn’t always feel that way about her hubbz. Who knows how long she’ll be around? That said, it feels like she’s doing her best, and I applaud her for that. If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t mean people are trash, garbage, idiots, morons, etc, etc, etc. It means they tried something that didn’t work.

GO LIONS!

Yes, with 100% certainty. He didn’t invest a upper end draft pick on the position and he didn’t invest cap money for a legit free agent. What he did do is bring in a revolving door of CFL talent, because he realized Stafford’s back wasn’t fully recovered and he didn’t have a single viable backup on the team.

As mentioned, I would have (in any of the past several years) tried to trade back or even trade up to add an additional pick in the first few rounds, then use it on a QB. I would draft QB in the first 3 rounds every 2-3 years. Worst case scenario, you swing and miss (but we do that anyway with guys like Tabor, Davis, Harris, Tavai, etc). The risk is worth the reward though if you hit.

There is no such thing. Late picks aren’t terribly valuable, but no pick is a luxury. If you have a great team, you can draft depth or even use the picks to trade up or trade for a veteran.

As we have seen, it takes 1 hit or injury and the Lions are toast. If Brady happened to get knocked out, they still had guys like Cassell, Jimmy G and Brisset if need be. We had Dumfuk Dan O and Jake noodle arm Rudock. Not the same.

As far as the WR thing goes. The Pats and Brady are in a different world. Here, our QB always needs more weapons. Best WR in the league? No success. Constantly drafting O-Lineman, WR’s and tight ends in the top 2 rounds? No success. The Pats and Brady make all of their weapons better.

Ok, fine, but we have been in the same process since 0-16, or really since 1957… It shouldn’t take 12 years or 60 years to rebuild. We have never embraced a true rebuild. We are always chasing that 6th seed in the playoffs. I don’t see our current approach as being different from how we’ve done things in the past.

1 Like

BTP has a point. Bad organizations like the Lions handle the most important position in sports with such carelessness. It’s literally the hallmark of a terrible organization.

The Lions have ignored the backup QB position ever since Hill left. People kick and scream at the thought of drafting a QB, but get erect at the thought of drafting interior o linemen.

QBs drafted by round, by real organizations since the Lions drafted Stafford:

New England: 4th, 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd,7th
Pittsburgh: 3rd, 4th, 4th
Baltimore: 6th, 1st, 6th, 6th,
KC: 1st, 5th, 5th, 5th, traded for Alex Smith
Philly: 5th, 1st, 4th, 3rd, 4th

5 of the top organizations showing us how it is done. The Lions are a pathetic organization and should be treated as such.

1 Like

Lol…Philly is as much of a shit show as us.

So Iggy what’s the difference between drafting one in the 5th, 6th or 7th versus continually churn the backup QB position to find a Blough? It’s essentially the same thing except we retain draft capital!

Low value positions the Lions have invested in (from 2010- current when they spent only 2 rounders on QB)

TE: 1st, 7th, 4th, 1st, 7th.
Interior oline: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 1st, 3rd, 3rd,
Kicker: 7th
Punter: 5th
Long snapper: 6th
FB: 5th and 7th.

The Lions have spent as many resources on the FB position as they have the QB position. A position that doesn’t really exist on many teams vs the most important position in pro sports… and people wonder why this team is a joke? LOL

1 Like

I am 99% of the way there with you, but I don’t think its fair to throw Baltimore in there. They’ve done pretty much the same thing the Lions have done.

1 Like

LOL. Yeah… Philly is a shitshow like the Lions for sure. Lions first NFC team eliminated from playoff contention, while Philly will be competing for a division still in week 16.

Philly won a SB in 2017, the Lions have won playoff game since 57’. Take the rose coloured glasses off.

Keep blowing the Philly horn, the only reason they are still in contention is because Cowboys are a hot mess and someone has to win the East! Even if Philly makes the playoffs they will get steam rolled!

Philly is a long way off of the team that won in 2017

Correct. But that’s not what you said. You said Philly is as much of a shitshow as Detroit… which obviously is an egregious statement, and not even remotely accurate.

1 Like

I can’t think of a team outside of the Falcons that has a competent quarterback that’s in as bad of a spot as the lions and they are definitely cleaning house.

1 Like