Slay to Eagles finalized

That was a gross example of how bad this coaching staff can be. Slay has never played well inside or against quickness in short space. It is not his game. He is made for the outside where he can use his size and speed to match up. I think it is probably good for both parties that he is gone but we are losing a good player. Home grown no less. For us that is rare.

Depending on what happens with 3OA, Lions could add another pick or two in the early rounds of this draft as well.

Anyone have an updated number cap space wise after shipping Slay?

Beat writers say $10 million more.

2.9 million in dead cap in 2020

The team is less talented today than it was last year…when it won 3 games. Guess we will have to see what kind of magic BQ can work in the draft lol.

Honestly, until they can actually pressure a QB it doesn’t really matter who we have playing in the secondary. Getting some draft picks and cap space (to hopefully fix the pass rush) was a good move.

If the $250,000 per game roster bonus is accounted for as “likely to be earned,” that’s $4 Million in compensation over 16 games. There was another $250K workout bonus which they won’t have to pay.

$10,000,000

= 13,960,00 net

So a 5th Rd pick, No. 172 overall, for Harmon and a 7th Rd pick, No. 235 overall.

Well, Detroit only won three because Stafford was out for how many games? Daniel is better than the poo-poo platter of back-ups Lions were forced to use so we’re better than last year if Stafford is lost again and certainly better of Stafford is healthy. Safe bet to say we win more than three games next season at least. That’s something.

I really have mixed feelings on this.

I understand that you don’t want to pay an aging CB who is already under K.

But Slay ran around with the other teams best WR and played well. That is very very valuable. I don’t know how good Trufant is. I don’t know how good Okudah will be if we get him.

If Okudah is drafted, and ends up being a dominant CB that can run around with the other teams best WR, then we basically exchanged a 29 year old star for a 22 year old star (or however old Okudah is) and saved massively on the cap. BIG “if” though…

Not impressed with this deal. It seems like the very very minimum he could possibly get given a reported 2 suitors.

Getting 85 instead of 81 is the sign of a weak negotiator. That extra 5th that supposedly makes up the value is worth nothing to a team that just FA’d for depth…

How would they get 81? 81 belongs the Raiders.

The Eagles had 85 and and 103 in the 3rd round. The Lions got the Eagles’ better pick in both the 3rd and 5th rounds.

I hoped for more as well, but I don’t think the Lions got terrible value here by any means, all things considered.

2 Likes

Sorry, thought I read earlier they had 81 and 85

1 Like

No need to be sorry man!

But yeah - I hear ya…I think all of us were kind of hoping for at least a 2nd considering what the Rams traded for Jalen Ramsey recently. Still though, with him publicly pounding the table to leave here + demanding a raise and an extension…I think it just needed to happen and the Lions didn’t do too badly.

Safe to say we win more than 3 games? Ok 4 or 5? What makes you think this team is going to be any better? Just not seeing it. Quin is going into his 5th year here and Patricia is in his 3rd…and players are still being shipped out because they wont buy into the system. I really do hope i am wrong but once again the best thing we have going is an early draft pick.

Not happy about a third and a fifth. Plus, its a LOW third – 85. We could have gotten a year out of him and then gotten a third for letting him walk as a FA. We basically got a fifth for him. Don’t like it at all, I’m betting the offers were way more than this last season…when Quinn was looking for two firsts…Not well played.

1 Like

Highly unlikely.

How many compensatory picks have the Lions had while Bob Quinn has been GM?

Zero.

Well, hopefully we get a nice trade down too. Really stock up on the picks and cheap talent.

Nine picks now, add 1-3 in trade downs, could end up with as many 12-13 if we’re real lucky. CB, WR, RB, OG, LB, DL.

I think the offense will be fine, the only real downgrade I see on D is now CB. And the fact they’ve gotten older, with experience in the system the tradeoff.

Key is to stock the cupboard with their eventual replacements.

1 Like

Well that’s because we don’t have anyone good leave in free agency.

And to JJ’s point, if they let him walk and you think the 3rd they got from Philly was low, the compensatory pick next year would be in the 100s (at least 20 spots lower).

They were never getting a 2nd…let alone a 1st for Slay.