Slightly off topic - Cosby Show

@BigNatty made a comment about Bill Cosby that has been a topic in our house for awhile. Wanted the dens opinions.

Cosby show has amazing values, is funny, and a pretty wholesome show that everyone enjoys. Do you show it to your kids knowing the nefarious and clearly not genuine real life activities of its main character?

Sorry by slightly I meant completely off topic.

1 Like

I would say yes.
A lot of that also goes into the ages of your kids, at a young age they don’t need to get into the weeds of a fictional family/characters. For us, our four kids are older now(17, 23, 25, 28), we always dealt more with the values or messages in a show vs the lives of the actors in the show when determining what to or not to watch.

As they got older we would have more indepth discussions regarding your overall point. Which didn’t just end at tv shows but extended to a variety of subjects with regards to the foundation of our worldview.

2 Likes

My kids think the shows I used to watch as a kid are lame.

And their kids will think the same about the shows they enjoyed.

1 Like

Surprisingly Cosby hit positive notes with our kids. They did laugh. It was just after watching the episode that I began to think about the message, which prompted the discussion.

Just don’t show them the Pudding Pop commercials.

But man I loved those as a kid. Those, Otter Pops, Its-Its and those Minute Made juice triangles… my early childhood frozen treat Mt. Rushmore

1 Like

Our kids enjoyed Cosby, Family Ties, Growing Pains, Home Improvement and other older shows. All had positive messages. The various Bob Newhart shows were some of their favorites.

The Cosby show where Theo “goes to the real world” was their favorite.

Pudding pops were the sacred devil. Amazing.

2 Likes

Its an old question. Can you separate the art from the artist? I don’t really know! Therefor this post was pointless :grinning:

1 Like

Dave Chappelle did a great bit on this. Cosby had his demons that can’t be defended, but he also has a legacy of good that just can’t be discounted due to the impact it had on so many lives. Everything about the Cosby show was intentional in pushing back against stereotypes. I’d say it’s a very positive show to watch.

2 Likes

Not there yet. My boys are still watching Paw Patrol, Berenstain Bears, Thomas the Train, and those kinds of shows.

Hopefully people can separate your art from the artist.

1 Like

I wish my 7 year would watch that kind of stuff. He just wants to watch YouTube videos about trigonometry, geometric rotations, logarithmic differentiation, etc. Occasionally Minecraft videos in which 19 year old streamers see how much TNT they can explode before crashing their Linux systems.

He’s an odd bird.

1 Like

What!! No Blue’s Clues or Richard Scarry?

Part of Chappelle’s bit

1 Like

That really is how it breaks down. My answer is yes.

1 Like

My 7-year old likes Lego Master Builder, Marble Run, and Hot Wheels videos.

1 Like

YouTube just gets them down whatever their rabbit hole is

1 Like

Mine is an old soul

2 Likes

I still have a box of Cosby sweaters.

I was a Fashion Icon in college.

Proof ( I am the skinny guy 2nd from left, 2nd from bottom, with a big hair babe draped on me)

1 Like