Stafford is struggling

Stafford was always streaky, but he looks different here. His arm motion is clearly affected. That elbow has to be the reason.

2 Likes

Stafford’s elbow is the least of the Ram’s problems so far this year.

He is throwing the ball with plenty of velocity… and still made a crazy good throw in that game with a flick of the wrist.

There wasn’t an open throw that he missed because of his elbow.

Their O line was…. offensive.
The 49ers have a wicked good pass… especially when they can rush without worrying about the run.
A-Rob… as others have mentioned… is washed like a Golladay.

I mean…. a QB has to have something…. and the Kupp is only half full if the defense can double it every play.

3 Likes

To me he looked like Stafford - just under a lot pressure. He’s always been streaky. And having little protection brings out bad Stafford more than good Stafford.

6 Likes

I’m seriously starting to wonder if there is a Robert Johnson story in Stafford’s past.

Like he went down to the crossroads of the nearest dirt road late at night and made a deal with the devil that he’d be blessed with a golden arm but the devil would forever take his running game.

2 Likes

It kinda looked like many of his Lion years, can’t run the ball, can’t protect Stafford, who was taking a bunch of big hits. It was a very familiar site to see. He’s tough as nails and will continue to take the hits, but they add up and he’s had a lot of different injuries in his career. He’s got his ring, he’s got his money. I wouldn’t be surprised Stafford walks away from football before too much longer. Kelly is going to say enough, throw a few pretzels and force him to retire. Maybe 2 more years. Better to walk away than go out in a wheelchair. And then you’ll see him on a TV near you talking with Burleson and Dan O about why the Lions just can’t get over the hump.

1 Like

Stafford
That trade was a win win
Rams got their SB

Lions got a nice asset haul for a QB that was getting worn out. I’m not confident Stafford has much left in him. All TBD, but the needle is pointing down for him in my mind.

Lions have a real chance to turn that trade into a perennial contender
Also TBD

4 Likes

Most QBs are bad against pressure. Stafford was actually tops in the league in passing against the blitz though multiple years if I’m not mistaken.

Personally, I think he is having problems because his supporting cast isn’t that great. Or at least as great as last year. He has Cooper which is a great weapon, but not much beyond. I’m sure the elbow isn’t helping things.

5 Likes

Yeah the Stafford cheerleading is over for me…he got his ring and now he must return the favor…GET THE LIONS A HIGH DRAFT PICK! :innocent:

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’re right. Most of the years with the Lions the offense was a modified WCO, nearly all shotgun, pass heavy with pass catching RBs. So under pressure it was easy to dump it off. But that’s also what killed a semblance of a run game

I’m not sure what McVey has cooking now. The ‘pass it to Kupp 30 times a game’ doesn’t seem sustainable. The DBs were sitting on routes and could have had three pick sixes

But SF wasn’t blitzing, that’s the issue, they were rushing 4 and still smashing him and playing coverage. Rams can’t run the ball, so the D-line knows what’s coming and pins their ears back against a weak O-line. Stafford is a sitting duck in the pocket, he’s gotta get the ball out quick and he knows it. That’s why no big plays down field. McVay has got to try to establish a running game to slow down pass rushes.

3 Likes

Honestly

They are gonna do what they have done the past couple years

Trade their 1st for a player lol

Honestly they may go for Orlando Brown Jr from the chiefs, hes a UFA and he wants a massive contract rn

I saw a decent amount of 5 man rushes with greenlaw or warner finding holes or creating holes for Bosa

1 Like

I saw a few, but seemed like in most situations they were playing coverage, sure is nice to have a dominant D-line. I’m so jealous.

I think the Rams got the best of Stafford last year, but that was only possible with the team they had assembled. Last night he couldn’t back up fast enough to avoid a couple of those sacks. Even if they get OB back, they aren’t going to fix that OL anytime soon. Next years draft isn’t likely to yield a lot of help and they are stuck with some bad deals like Robinson’s contract. They are already underwater with re to the estimated 2023 cap, so not sure where the help is going to come from.

Some Stafford info…
With his $61.5M to be earned this season, Matthew Stafford eclipses the $300M mark for his career.

Only Tom Brady ($333M) & Aaron Rodgers ($305M) have earned more.

Stafford has another $68.5M fully guaranteed through 2025.

This is the same thing that happened to Goff in 2020. No run game. Injured OL. Nothing deep in the passing game.

Not sure they can fix it against teams that can generate pressure with a 4 man rush. Goff got his wins beating up on teams that couldn’t stop the short passing game.

5 Likes

For sure, it’s amazing what a good running game can do for a QB. Look at Goff now, playing much better, why? Because the Lions have one of the best rushing attacks in football behind a strong O-line.

I think the Lions offense is somewhere between “Fool’s Gold” and “Solid.” The top 3 offense thing likely doesn’t last much longer—too many games to shake out yet.

2 Likes

I got it.

We’ll trade them Goff for Stafford, 1st Rd picks in 2024-2025, and a 3dRd pick in 2023.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Well, we do have some good defenses ahead of us, so we can see how this Offense fairs tbh.

Cowboys game is the most telling imo

1 Like

I wasn’t fully convinced, and probably still not. But putting up 45 without St. Brown, Chark and Swift was impressive. If they ever get Swift, St. Brown and Jamo all on the field at the same time with this O-line, it might get even better. Goff is pretty good when he has a run game.

4 Likes