Stafford Tier III?

Watkins is a talented receiver that can’t stay healthy. There’s no way around it.

So he is saying we got the 2nd best QB in the NFCN

I like it :wink:

1 Like

I’m not a Stafford guy, but I think it’s fairly clear at this point. Cousins blows and Mitch doesn’t seem to be developing… at all.

2 Likes

Nobody that understands that position would ever reference QB rating or QBR. QB rating really just lets you know how the offense is doing, not the QB in particular.

There is not one QB in the game I would trade Stafford for. Mahomes looks like Stafford without the handcuffs and leg chains, but both have very similar arm talent. I am looking forward to seeing him in Detroit. Rodgers has digressed clearly in terms of accuracy and fundamentals, but he has the ability to turn it around if he is willing to work.

How many are throw-aways, because they’re running for their life?
Stats are not all telling

Not all telling, but it’s not unreasonable to mention all possible issues.

It’s completely fair to put everything in context Both directions.

I would argue that Stafford has passed Rodgers overall. Stafford has not reached the level of Rodgers of 5-6 years ago, but Rodgers has digressed. Rodgers is no longer nearly as accurate as he once was as his mechanics are simply not there. He has never been nearly as good as Stafford at bringing his team back from a deficit and he is nowhere near as tough or durable as Stafford.

image cary elwes GIF

1 Like

And how many were drops? How many were DPIs that didn’t get called? How many were catches that got called back due to Holding or some such penalty. I know of one completion that got wiped out cuz the coach called a last second TO.

1 Like

It is fair to use real issues to critique anyone, but stats are dependent on so many others doing their job. QB situations in the NFL are completely different. Just watch the highlights of many of the games and you see QB’s around the league throwing to wide open receivers every week. Stafford rarely gets to throw to a wide open anyone. The windows he has would cause most QB’s to be run out of a starting job quickly. Put him behind an OL like Dallas and you would have an unstoppable situation. Let this OC and Stafford work through the transition as he hasn’t had an NFL level OC since Linehan.

I’m a little disappointed that you left out that Stafford is better at beer chugging

2 Likes

Kenny G had one drop. Other than that, none.

You can find the no-call DPI. Be sure to be objective about it…

That might be his fault.

Maybe the guys he throws to aren’t open, but the TV rarely shows the other guys who might actually be open… When you see a double team or triple team, there is generally someone else out there open.

I’ve dissected plays before from the all 22 angle, and Stafford misses a lot of open receivers while he locks on to the primary receiver.

Other QBs look like they’re hitting the open receiver because they’re better at finding them.

Stafford and his gifted arm doesn’t have to look as hard. It’s both a blessing and a curse.

1 Like

Please understand the nuance because I’m about to say two different things on the same subject:

1. I don’t remember a bunch of drops for Stafford in this game. The 1 they reported seems about right. If it was more, it didn’t seem like many more.

2. I feel like whatever the official sources are, they severely under record drops. Its like you watch the games all year long and see the drops, then you look up the stat and its nowhere near what you thought you saw. In this game the announcers had the drop count up there around 7 or so for the Chargers. And I definitely agreed with at least 5 of them as clear drops for them. If I’m reading this right, they are saying the Chargers have only had 1 drop all year long…when they clearly just had 5+ in a single game 2019 Los Angeles Chargers Advanced Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com .

I think Kerryon had a drop that would have given them a first down instead of a punt. it hit him right in the chest.

I agree, sir. But drops are also subjective.

26 passes were thrown but not completed by Stafford.

I would be beyond surprised if “drops”, “uncalled PI” and “throwaway” accounted for all.

22.9% says that 6 of them were uncatchable. It’s neither unbelieveable nor all that horrible.

And if we’re going to find passes that should have been caught, we should also look for the circus catches that were the WR bailing out the poorly placed ball. It’s not simply “their job to catch them”. The QB has to place the ball in the best place for the receiver to make the play. Can’t just burn them in and they complain they didn’t catch it. Same goes for INTs that were dropped. The difference between a T and and L was that DB dropping the game winner in Arizona.

Please also note that I’m not trying to bash, just to be fair to both sides of the issue.

I haven’t rewatched the game yet but I seem to remember Stafford missing an open DA on third down just before the missed FG

I’m not bashing and I think overall Stafford played well. But it’s true Staff has been a little erratic the first two games

1 Like

Or our guy dropping a similar INT. Or an Anew fumble. Or an OC calling timeout. Or an LT giving up a sack/fumblle.
See how easy it is to pin responsibility on “the difference between a T and an L” on someone. Factor in either of the 2 drive killing drops.
Feels like silliness. Doesn’t feel honest.

I only saw one QB dealing with a bunch of drops and that was Philip Rivers. I’m just shocked they are only officially recognizing one of those drops. It just feeds into a general narrative I’ve had in my head where I’ve felt like drops are an under recorded stat.

As far as uncatchable balls, I saw one right at the beginning of the game. They sent pressure and had a run at Stafford, and he got rid of it early and skipped the ball to the receiver. Matt has very few true holes in his game…aka things he doesn’t seem to be able to do at all. But when you send a guy screaming at him, he doesn’t seem to be able to to do a quick spin move, etc like some QBs can do in order to reset, make a throw and make you pay for coming at him like that. Matt seems like he should be athletic enough to do it, but I’m guessing he’s not because he never does.

1 Like