Stafford would have stayed

If Holmes asked. Interesting story

Holmes was like, Mmmmmm no, we’re good. I’m gonna get some picks and Goff

12 Likes

The first ramification. If Stafford would’ve stayed, then Amon-Ra and Melifonwu don’t have a fight in practice today. You know why? Because we don’t GET Melifonwu.

Alley Oop Sport GIF by Space Jam

2 Likes

I wonder if Amon Ra said, ‘I bet my dad could beat up your dad’

3 Likes

He asked for the trade… At that point, you are a new GM trying to build your team. Don’t you tell yourself, that is too bad, but I want guys who WANT to be here… like Goff and the picks.

8 Likes

Exactly. Article is misleading. They honored Matt by giving him what he wanted. Article feels devicive.

Sure, we could have had an unhappy player here. Sure, he’s a good dude that wouldn’t bitch, but that’s different.

How that impacts other players wanting/not wanting to get “trapped” here?..Think guys :wink:

As fun as it may be to pretend that the new staff thinks Matt sucks, reality is almost guaranteed to not be true.

That said, we got an amazing haul, and I think we came off better in the long run. Stafford is a very good QB, but we got Goff and 3 other starters for him (what the picks will turn into).

1 Like

Great decision.

We might finally have a legit GM on our hands.

I haven’t been this excited (long term time frame) about the Lions in some time.

8 Likes

I’ve been on record saying the move was best for both parties

3 Likes

Same. We finally have adults all throughout the front offices.

So foreign, this feeling is (in Yoda voice).
star wars GIF

2 Likes

IMO, they could have gone either way. With the FO turnover, the timing was right to move on. How good the trade is/was will largely depend on how Goff performs.

3 Likes

Yes of course he would’ve stayed. He didn’t want to return his signing bonus.
What would you do ? Retire with millions on the table ?

3 Likes

Between this and hearing Golliday is underperforming and left practice hurt, I definitely feel Holmes has a good plan and didn’t want to hang onto a disgruntled QB and diva WR

Building trenches and getting a ground game going. Along with a good culture and solid coaching

2 Likes

I hope that phrase “Goff and the picks” only refers to the draft this season…

5 Likes

We did it right this time.
It was time for a change.
And while no one knows, including the author of that article, how Matt requested a trade, it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if he didn’t ‘demand’ a trade. There are many shades of gray here, from “I want out/make it happen” to “Maybe you should start exploring a trade, I’m tired and don’t feel like starting over again”. Personally, I think it was closer to the latter, but we may never know. Regardless, it might be one of those rare times where the trade will be good for everyone involved.

1 Like

Ouch you got me on that nuance.

He hasn’t really had that many picks. Total turnovers and lower TD % was the biggest problem last year. The Rams also didn’t score that much because they had huge time of possession that helped their defense be #1 overall.

1 Like

I’m just playing with words. I’m absolutely thrilled with this entire off-season. And I value your contributions, especially your longer perspective of Goff.

2 Likes

Exactly guys and gals. Regardless of what side of the Stafford as a qb argument you fall on, it was time for both to move on. If you really want to start over why bring the guy that has been through 4 or 5 coaches and looks at the new regime as just the next in line, what’s his ultimate perception and buy in going to be? And as the Lions go if you really want to start something new, move on from the guy who had 4 or 5 coaches and still never brought you anything in the end and may not be fully in on the new staff you’re trying to establish.

I think these articles are a lot of fluff and players talking player speak anyway, and even if he’s being somewhat truthful it’s all hindsight anyway. Yeah, I’d be a little remorseful if I absolutely wanted to move on (which he did) and then see what an awesome group of coaches were brought in. Who’s to say Stafford isn’t having the ex-girlfriend feeling right now? Or he’s just blowing smoke up the media’s ass.

He wanted out. Don’t blame him. But the grass ain’t always greener. And sometimes it is.

He’s not a Lion anymore so I wish him the best but by that I mean I don’t wish him any particular harm. And I hope we beat the living heck out of him when we play each other (if he’s not on IR).

3 Likes

Yes I knew you knew I meant draft picks but I definitely left myself open for that interpretation :-).

Yeah I don’t have any real ties or biases for or against Stafford. He seems like a good dude which means something.

I will say that the article kind of gives me the vibe that while Stafford has all of the best intentions in those quotes, he also comes across kind of soft and lacking killer instinct.

As to Holmes, it doesn’t appear that he tried very hard to keep Stafford. He heard Stafford wanted out and tried to make the best of the situation. He probably felt that Stafford may only give the lions 2-3 more good years and then they’d have to rebuild so why not make a change now and try and make everyone better/happy.

2 Likes

Discrepancy between years left with Goff and Stafford is HUGE.
I think Matt is rated a few to a handful of slots higher than Goff.
I think Goff is like Eli Manning, and am hoping for that type of career for him.
The rooks that we will draft next year and year after with those picks are still in their TEENS! Matt has 5 years left-ish?

1 Like