Stafford would have stayed

I think you kind of inadvertently hit on something a lot of people had an issue with…

He comes off as soft. And even when he tries to be hard, he tends to screw up as much as he succeeds. He has had his moments, he trucked a LB, called that fake spike to win against Dallas… but…… he’s come up short a lot of times too. And I think the issue many have with him is exactly that, when the going gets tough, he sometimes gets going? Or he just folds or screws up.

It’s a personality thing. No doubt he’s a good dude, respectful, cool… but something about him just doesn’t jive with the Tom Brady/Rodgers/brees/Manning style personality. I can’t put my finger on it… but I think the guy has had it made his whole life and never once has had to truly “fight” for anything or necessarily “prove” himself. He’s had a good go. Not his fault. But I think that plays into it.

Not saying other guys weren’t privileged as well but, just something different with him.

That is my BS $.02 psychoanalysis of why it just didn’t work out with the Lions so please take with a grain of salt, or 1/4 a grain.

5 Likes

I kinda think Stafford is like Eli… all the expectations, all the opportunities, never succeeded truly but always given the benefit of the doubt. Eli showed up though when he had to and won a couple SBs…

Man I’m starting to think Stafford has just been a pampered white dude his whole life and while it’s not his fault and he’s been himself and done his best, I think in the end it’s just not necessarily important to him. Because life has always been good anyway.

2 Likes

he’s never had a chip on his shoulder that’s for sure. One could say the same about Goff until now. Golf was basically discarded by his own team and completely and utterly disrespected by the media

If having a chip on your shoulder is motivation to reach the next level, I would say Goff should have a pretty big fucking chip right now

1 Like

“Monotheism is for bitches!”

2 Likes

This may be true, but IMO, he’s got some warrior on the field. I think it’s his identity, and where his insecurity comes from.

Eeeesh…Pampered is pampered, man. Humans are humans, and they don’t do well if they haven’t been equipped with tools to deal with adversity.

We all have insecurities. My only billionaire client has as many insecurities as the prisoners I work with, and he was raised poor AF.
I think Matt is insecure about not winning. I think he’s tore up over it. I think he feels like a failure over it.

As far as intensity of our feelings go, that is partly learned, and partly our soul’s make-up.

2 Likes

I’m not sure he has the total alpha male type “A” personality.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Russell Wilson have a different more “dominant” personality style than Stafford. It’s why there has been so much “drama” at times with those guys because they truly have personality clashes with teammates, management, and coaches.

Patrick Mahomes has a similar personality type to Stafford so I’m not sure if it translates to Super Bowl wins or not but it seems like a more laid back, go with the flow type of personality that will give it all on the field when necessary but isn’t absolutely obsessed with being the perfect 100% of the time. Something tells me Goff has more of the Mahomes / Stafford personality.

While I love Stafford and would’ve liked him to succeed here, it absolutely was the right time to move on.

2 Likes

How is the thumb matt?

@DetroitStrong please refrain from the race talk.

1 Like

I have to wonder if Stafford is having some ra-grets. Maybe McVay is really a micro-managing douche and he’s seeing how cool the new Detroit staff is. I’m sure I’m in the minority, but keep Iffy and keep the two 1’s. Give me Stafford for the next 4 years the current staff and all the other picks we got this year and I like our chances better in years 3 and 4.

Remember UNLESS Goff becomes “the guy” over the next two years, one of those 1st rounders (plus picks if we have to move up) is going to go to a rookie QB dart throw. So it’s essentially Goff, Iffy and 1 first rounder as we wouldn’t need that rookie if Stafford is here. I know it’s spilt milk, but if one good convo from Motor City Dan would have motivated Stafford to hang on with us, I would have preferred it. Now we’re hearing I felt like I let the Lions down, and I would have stayed if asked… just leaves me a little bitter is all because I feel like we downgraded at the most important position on the field. How much so, TBD.

3 Likes

Wes, I thought you might want to know there’s a whole other thread about David Blough’s wife who was in a race.

I thought it was ok now because a lot of the team watched the race and I think they were talking about it. Now I’m not so sure.

I’m not sure that is helpful but I REALLY thought you should know that just in case… :wink:

1 Like

I agree with you and also what I was getting at, I wonder if he’s having a bit of remorse. When he wanted to be traded and move on it was before the lions hired DC, they had hired Holmes, but I don’t think he expected the new regime to be what they are. It may be a legit feeling, but at the same time he was ready to ship out and Holmes got a bunch of draft picks and a starting QB out of the deal. So now he may be wondering what could’ve been.

Or it’s all just show for the media and typical pat answers (which is what it is). I don’t really care how he feels. He made his choice and now he’s got his wish and living in it. Best of luck except when we play him.

2 Likes

This was one of those amicable divorces which was exactly what both parties needed

4 Likes

Are you sure, maybe I’ve seen way to many Rom-Coms, but what normally happens is that Stafford will realize that McVay is actually a jerk and then he’ll fly off to crash the destination wedding right before Goff and MCDC can say, “I do.”

4 Likes

The fact that he ran of to LA does give some creedence to your theory…

4 Likes

I think Stafford would have been fine to stay in Detroit but was tired of listening to Kelly bitch about the winters

1 Like

I think its the exact opposite. At this point he’s just saying what sounds good in sound bites. “Oh if they would have asked me to stay it would have been what it was.” The guy endured a lifetime worth of pain was done…so he made his demands known. As he said it, the timing was perfect. He didn’t want to be here then and he doesn’t want to be here now. And anything short of us becoming the Steph Curry Warriors and the Rams becoming the post Michael Jordan Bulls will not make him regret his decision.

4 Likes

Agreed, he knows how to say what sounds good and what media and people want to hear, as well as be as non-confrontational about it as possible. But in January, he was ready to leave and had his bags packed…

Now I just wonder who bought his house with the half court Pistons floor, and if they are going to convert it into an indoor swimming pool…

1 Like

He was having a joyful dinner with his future wife when his ex-wife officially signed the divorce papers. And now he’s saying “oh if my ex wanted to work it out I would have been on board.”

Stop the nonsense. There’s no reason to even entertain this in a serious way.

2 Likes

Best summary by far - yes

1 Like