Swift to Rams trade suggestion

I would make the trade if that was the offer.

I love Swift. But he’s not gonna be part of the rebuild, most likely. He’s a young player but everything works on the timing of contracts vs the window of opportunity you are building toward. That would be a decent haul for him and give us the ability to get his replacement in the coming drafts.

When they say tear down/rebuild these are the kinds of trades I think of.

For the people that say that Swift and Hock won’t be part of the rebuild, I don’t understand why the entire team has to be 22-24 when you’re competing for championships. You all would’ve said that Travis Kelce shouldn’t have been a part of the Mahomes rebuild in KC, wouldn’t you? Hock is going to be that kind of player, so why can’t he be a part of the rebuild? Swift can be too. We’re building for at the latest 2024, so why can’t he be a part of that if he isn’t taking all of the carries like he isn’t right now?

No team has ever become successful by trading everything they had for draft picks and then hitting on all of those picks so they had their entire team as a bunch of really good 3rd or 4th year players.

We need to keep every ounce of talent we have and build around them, because the Flowers and Goff hits among other will go off of our cap to make room. Other teams deal with the same salary cap that we do, so we can manage.

Also while I’m on this tangent, I want to point something out about the people who said that we shouldn’t try anything gimmicky like the Cardinals are doing with the air raid because “it only works for a year or two”. That’s a year or two more than we’ve had since 1957.

Why does everyone think we can replicate the New England model of taking absolutely no risks on players or schemes and winning for 20 years?? We literally just tried that.

3 Likes

T-H-I-S

2 Likes

I don’t get why the Rams would give up three second day picks for a good, not great RB. He’s better than Henderson but I don’t think he drastically changes the Rams.

1 Like

Its a lot to give up, esp when Akers is coming back maybe even this year by playoff time.

For us, the thing I don’t like is how late the picks are. What they would do is serve to give us flexibilty to move up and down and target who we like. But I don’t really like how likely low they’d be.

For me it’s about RBs specifically. Like, I don’t want to trade Decker - who’s much older than Swift - because I still think he’ll have plenty of years left after the rebuild. I don’t want to trade Swift either, but I’d be much more OK with it than others.

1 Like

From an Achilles? That timeline seems unrealsistic. He’s unlikely to be the same guy anyways.

For that level of compensation, I’d be ok with it. However, I don’t think Swift would fetch that much in return and I wouldn’t be interested in anything less.

I don’t want to trade Swift either but three day 2 picks is an insane haul for a RB with only two more contract friendly years.

2 Likes

Just going by what McVay said.

I’m not advocating just brushing everybody out. But in a tear down rebuild you have to build for the future and not for the now. Yeah, Swift is a young player. But he has two more contract years and one of them won’t likely be in a year where we are making our push. Honestly, both of them could be years were arent quite seeing our window yet. And RB is not a position I like to pay for. I like to draft RBs.

This is me not saying you are wrong at all btw. Its a tough call. Just explaining how I see it. On the Kelce thing, I would just say that KC wasn’t in a tear down rebuild. They were already a playoff team. I liken our situation almost to the Browns. Or what Miami did. We’re 0-7 you know?

It’s enough to make me think about it at least. A lot would depend upon the staff’s opinion of the rest of the RBs. Is there anyone they’re really high on? Worthy successor to Swift.

50 years and we’re still rebuilding, it’s all about the beans you know.

1 Like

You could grab a guy like Aeneas Smith as your pass catching back and run with him Jefferson and Jamal. If that allowed us to add two more day 2 talents I’d think I’d do it. I still have durability concerns with Swift.

I imagine that Smith will probably go in the 3rd.

"Lions general manager Brad Holmes could command the Rams’ 2022 second-round pick, along with a 2023 second-and-third-round pick. "

Get the fuck outta here.

Swift has played himself out of that value area.

I’d say first round pick and Day 2 pick.

1 Like

It would have to be a 2024 1st. We have the others already.

good grief–no–no to the 10th powerhe is the only reliable scoring threat we have

That’s actually a pretty good package for a running back who isn’t elite but I have no interest in helping out the Rams and Swift is like their only playmaker/ home run threat.

Not gonna lie though, two 2nds and a 3rd over the next few drafts is a lot of capital to fill vital needs. RBs are pretty replaceable when it boils down to it.

Great idea! Let’s help the Rams so we can get a shittier return on our two first round draft picks.

Brilliant!

2 Likes

Sounds like someone hasn’t played enough Madden to me.

I can’t speak for everyone, but my objection isn’t to any particular offense type or trying new things. I think there are a jillion different ways to win in the NFL, so coaches should scheme around the guys they have. If you’ve got a Kyler Murray and a DeAnrdre Hopkins, go play some backyard ball. If you’ve got Tom Brady and a bunch of slow midgets in New England, maybe a precise attack might work better.

What I do disagree with is the contention that we need to spend a bunch of resources to go get a “mAH duRn” quarterback, because the only way to win is with a guy whose legs are better than his arm.