Take your stand on Ramsey

I don’t believe CB is the position to go all-in on if you’re going to take that plunge. They get nicked up too much, and while that may be an argument for adding high quality talent there, it’s also an argument against it with a focus on adding a good number of quality depth players. I say stay the course and add cheap CB talent in the draft. If an all-world pass rusher like Mack were available now, I’d say go for it. But the Lions don’t even have Flowers and Okwara on the field at the same time much.

As with all life and business decisions, opportunity cost looms large. So while I see your point and would be thrilled to add Ramsey, I resist the temptation because the $$$ and the picks offer a better future. You say we have the cash sitting around, but we also have to take care of Slay and Decker and have to make hard choices on many others. I’d rather look at the draft AND free agent CBs to add to that group than go all-in on it.

Too many other things you can do with the cap space and the picks to make it worthwhile in 2019. The Bears have given away big picks for Cutler and Mack and haven’t got anything to show for it. Again, though, just my opinion. I’d be all aboard the Ramsey train if he wound up here. I think he actually stays in JAX anyway.

Also, keep in mind we’re backloaded on a lot of contracts right now as it is. We’re in decent cap shape but we’re not loaded either over the next few years.

Zenner will be back by game 10.

The thing about Bears/Mack. GB had A lot of injuries, team imploded and they fired their coach.

Even with all those lucky breaks the Bears didnt look Superbowl bound.

Paying for Mack looks good but they still lost at home vs PHI.

Lets see how well that trade looks this year with a healthy NFCN. 12-4 would be a miracle for them.

Nah.

I’d love it; he’s probably the best cover corner in the NFL. And him and Slay would be an ELITE tandem.

But the cost in draft capital is too great. Resigning him – and you don’t make this trade unless a long-term deal is accompanying it – would throw the pay structure out of whack.

And besides, whatever isn’t working for the Lions so far this season, the secondary isn’t it. For the most part, Slay, Melvin, Coleman have all looked pretty darn good. Dee Ford, too, when he had to step in.

Jeff Risdon just said on WDFN that the Jaguars turned down two firsts and a third from the Ravens.

No way Ramsey is coming to Detroit.

1 Like

Wow, WTF do they want? you’re right, that’s WAY too much even for a stud CB like Ramsey.

[quote=“Wiseacres, post:46, topic:1509, full:true”]
Wow, WTF do they want?

Bonkers. That’s Mack capital and he doesn’t impact the game like Mack. As a chess piece, a top shelf CB takes away the top WR of the opponent. An elite one like Ramsey might be credited with taking away 1.5 because of his talent and ability to help out teammates. Mack is one-man wrecking crew that gives you like 2 seconds to decide what to do with the ball on most downs and makes the whole Bears defense so much better. Ramsey/Slay is a pipe dream, just way to much invested at the CB position.

1 Like

I’d love to have him, but not for the price of the draft picks + the salary we’ll need to pay him when he re-ups, which would probably be immediately.

I’d rather have the picks and not be paying 3 CB’s that kind of money.

1 Like

If you asked me Monday, Id say I was all in.

However, seeing Ramsey’s behavior this week, I have to admit I am beginning to sour on the idea.
Pros:
Elite corner, and can pair with Slay for an elite cover tandem
Would bring a serious confidence boost to the team and the fans that the Lions believe in their team and are going for it
We specialize in man coverage, which is what Ramsey wants

Cons:
He wants to be paid and soon, and may force us to choose between him and Slay
Does he even want to come to Detroit, word is he wants some place with after football action, ie LA/NY/Las Vegas

However, seeing how he has behaved this week? I have to admit it. Im out, for the price anyways. The guy is basically pulling an AB (minus the sex) to get himself cut from the team. I am ok with him saying “You know what guys, you arent trying, I want to go play for someone who is. Trade me.” Im ok with that. Sometimes people need a change. Im not ok with “cough cough, yeah im sick, Im out” “Yeah me again, so my cold is gone, but i somehow pulled a hammy and a back injury” Coincidentally, two things you cant test for…

If thats how the guy is going to behave anytime he feels “disrespected”, I cant buy in. I dont want to know that a guy Im counting on to become a legit SB contender, may decide “Bro, Im just not feelin it” and check out on me. Thats not someone I can say I feel good about giving a long term deal too

1 Like

I’m out , just too much money.

1 Like

Maybe dumb, but why not see if we can Peterson cheap?

Peterson is still serving an six game p e d suspension so would not be available until much later in the season. they say talk is cheap but the Arizona GM stated again publicly less than a week ago that they have no intention of trading Patrick Peterson in response to rumors that Arizona had interest in Jalen Ramsey.

I know he is. Just think it could be a cheap deal.

Originally I was really wanting this trade to happen but Jeff Risdon had a interesting tibit about Ramsey on Big Drew and Jim ESPN 96.1FM Grand Rapids: that he has been known to tap out to preserve his stats (ie: wouldn’t cover Will Fuller of the Texans because he couldn’t handle his speed). This trade won’t happen anyways because of everything the Jags want…We probably need another OL, DE and a WR in the coming year or two easily and giving up 2 1’s and a 3’s or more would be those kinda players.

2 Likes

That kind of knowledge coaches, GMs and players have about other players is something not talked about enough.

Slay was having a tough time against LAC Allen WR because he was put on an island without much over the top help. Allen was faster than Slay, he toughed it out.

1 Like

It is funny you say that Bro, because the context of the conversation with Risdon and Ramsey taping out was in reference to a joke Big Drew made about maaaaybe slay just stays “hurt” this week in order to preserve his stats and He and both Risdon then were adamant to the the fact that slay 1000% would never ever not accept the challenge of facing anyone anywhere.

I heard they offered a 1st, 2nd and Hayden Hurst. Who knows… Ravens tried trading up during the draft for Ramsey as well so either way, they’re willing to go after him.

I’d pay him good money as a FA where you don’t have to give up any draft capital. Hard no if you have to give up a 1st plus more.

Love that show, and Risdon always has some interesting tid bits.

1 Like

That’s what people said about Khalil Mack