Tarik Skubal has arrived

This is a good point. So many teams have got burned giving pitchers expensive long contracts.

2 Likes

comedy central season 3 episode 17 GIF by Workaholics

2 Likes

https://x.com/jonmorosi/status/1799977748733006088

Remember the haul tigers got for JV. Skubal isnt going any where he is under control till after 26. I perfer trading prospects then traded studs for some prospects.

Skubal last 17 starts, 18 earned runs 148 Ks.

Angry Mtv GIF

5 Likes

Lets trade him. :laughing:

https://x.com/MLBNetwork/status/1800189931446296629

3 Likes

https://x.com/MLBStats/status/1810042949805199862

3 Likes

He now leads the majors in walks and hits per innings pitched (WHIP) at 0.91. That’s actually my favorite stat for a pitcher, its the least fluky.

ERA - was it really an error?
Batting average against (BAA) - you could be wild and give up alot of walks.
Strikeouts - ibid.
Wins - you know

1 Like

I think my favorite stat is quality starts.

If you go 6 innings and give up 3 runs or less then you gave your team a descent chance to win, and also helped the bully rest a little.

3 Likes

I like BAA more than WHIP.

Walks are 1 base, but can become a pitch count issue.

Hits are damage. Balls left up in the zone. Doubles off the wall. HR.

BAA is an indicator of consistent great stuff…weak contact…confidence.

It’s like the anti-ISO, sorta.

1 Like

Well, there’s ISO against (x-ISO) if you like that sort of thing. Then Reese Olsen is your man.

I’m sticking with WHIP against. Any baserunner hurts. Leadoff walks seem to score 80% of the time. Its a sign your pitcher is in trouble. And Skoobie just happens to lead the league in that stat.

2 Likes

I get it.

Back in the ancient days, before internet, I played a lot of sim baseball…strat o matic, statis pro etc…cards of your players stats were converted to probability outcomes for a random 1-100 number or dice rolls.

I always always got SP guys like Ryan and JR Richard…huge K totals ( runners dont advance on ground balls or deep flys) and low hits against but higher walks ( 1 base at a time)…

Especially back in the 80s when you had all kinds of guys stealing 40+ to 100+ bags a year.

1 Like

Imagine how many bases Ricky Henderson would steal with the modern pickoff rules and bigger bases. Dude would steal 5 bags per game. Cause he walked constantly. Was always on base.

Its so hard to compare across eras, but how the hell do you set an all time team at LF with Ted, Rickey, Stan the Man and Bonds?

CF Mays Cobb Charleston Mantle is a little easier

RF Ruth Aaron Clemente easier still

2 Likes

I was just on the advanced stats site to see if i could find you your pitcher in this era. I graphed whiff rate vs all kinds of other metrics, and it was weird. The pitchers with high whiff rates aren’t too good on many other metrics like hard hit balls, balls in play, “swords” (look it up!) etc.

But Skoobie comes closest on many metrics. He and the Phillies guy we just beat (Saurez).

1 Like

Geez Perez don’t do that…
Runner on third with one out…

You dont see that kind of guy much now. The days of 100 walks a season just from an IP standpoint are long gone, but from a high bb/9 and k/9 Hunter Greene and Luis Gil are the top in each league with minimum 10k/9ip