Team that can trade Geoff right now?

Agree, and I also have very little faith in J Winston working out in the NFL.

1 Like

I hope you are right. But, do we have any 4.5 receivers? Do we have a top running game? What was our defense ranked with the cupboard bare? We are going through a major rebuild, and I think its going to be hard to get a fair read on Goff. But I’d love for me to be wrong and you to be right.

Have to remember that Goff is where Stafford was at going into the Caldwell years - 5 years in. Many Lions fans were ready to give up on Stafford at that point (others were just haters but that’s a different subject).

I know it is a low point for Goff, but there is plenty of blame to go around for the offensive problems they had the last 2 years. I am quite optimistic that if the Lions put the right pieces around Goff and coach to his strengths he can get on track.

Some Kind of Hero with Richard Pryor

That’s the concern, but they can get the WRs in FA and the draft, and they do have a pretty good Oline and RB.

I like Jaylen Waddle in the draft - Tyreek Hill comparisons.

I don’t disagree with anything you said, but Goff is on the wrong trajectory. Where we disagree is whether he moves forward in 21 or stays where he is. I’d feel better about Goff if he did a single thing that was special. Matt has the arm. Allen has the arm plus he’s mobile. Mahomes can escape from almost anything - ditto Lamar. Watson has it all. Goff - he’s supposed to be incredibly accurate, yet he still piles up the INT’s, so I don’t see ONE THING that is special about him. As much as the college QB’s being “crapshoots” on whether they will succeed or not, it sounds like from above the same applies to young QB’s that have had some success and could go either north (Allen Mayfield Jackson) or south (Wentz, Lock, Trubisky). Almost as risky a crapshoot, but way more expensive. My point is that we’re not going anywhere in 21 with our wretched defense, there are too many holes to fix in one year. Why pay a QB that money when you could get a draft pick and roll the salary savings into when you are competitive. Sacrifice the short term for 2023.

He apparently is very good at the deep ball passing, but not having a deep threat WR last season and much of the year before really tightens up the coverage on all targets. Combine that with the very Lion like running game they had and it was not a recipe for success.

Goff also has a very good arm and can make all the throws.

I know he played on a better team, but I think it is actually pretty easy to make the case that his first 5 years were better than Stafford’s first 5. Not sure I’m all that concerned about trajectory when there were clear contributing issues on the team.

I don’t think there is any guarantee here, but I do like their chances. Lynn and Brunnel should be perfect coaches for what he needs, and Holmes is a good talent evaluator that should be able to get the pieces Goff needs.

…and if it doesn’t work out they draft a QB in 2022.

1 Like