Team that can trade Geoff right now?

I had a teacher in middle school whose last name was Meekhof and remember joking that I wished his name was Jack.

Well, it is, and losing 59-56 is more entertaining than losing 28-21.

I hope the Lions keep Goff. I’m all about having a previous #1 overall pick with a solid record that’s just about to enter his prime.

It’s likely better than an unknown rookie option.

Additionally, I’d rank Goff above about 1/2 of the other starting QB’s in the league. I’m not sure why so many fans are hoping to ship Goff out of here. Especially the ones that didn’t want to move Stafford.

2 Likes

Yeah, I honestly think that Goff could end-up being a better QB here for us than Stafford was.

2 Likes

Fonda Dicks was a first team All State BB player from SE Iowa. She married a guy named Peters. Look it up.

2 Likes

1 Like

I’m not saying that Stafford is or was chopped liver: Goff has more touch than Stafford ever did and, IMO, our drop percentage will go down because of that. Goff handing off to seal the game will be a novel experience for me as a Lions fan, but it won’t be as exciting as Matt launching lasers with 30 seconds to go,

1 Like

I’ll bite:

• Why would we trade Goff now? We got a kid that with some work has played well in this league and his best years may be in front of him still.

True, but can he take us to the Super Bowl - your answer is yes because he’s done it before. My answer is no, because tha team was mainly Gurley and the D. Compare Goff to the “final four” QB’s this year: Mahomes, Allen, Rogers, Brady. No comparison.

• I understand some may be thinking trade him, save that $ and get a pick for him so we can pick our QB that we really want. But who is gonna play QB here?

Any number of people…FA’s or non-expensive deals, e.g. Bridgewater, Tyrod Taylor, Darnold, Dalton, Fitzy, Newton, Winston, Garroppolo. Plenty to choose from. Are they a step down from Goff, yes, most of them probably are, but they certainly suffice for a re-build period. Let somone like Trey Lance sit and learn, or if our braintrust wants to wait until next year to draft a QB, OK.

• See what we have in Goff despite the $ as we also picked up 2 1future 1sts and a 3rd in 2021 and if Goff shows us what he is capable of we are in solid shape going forward. Goff is 27 in October.

I have no doubt that this is what we’ll do, so I’m resigned to that. But… getting a very clear read on Goff while we go through a major rebuild is going to be hard. My fear is he hangs on for being “just good enough”. So he gets another year. And you might say, then is the time to cut him, as there is no guaranteed money after that. I get it, and maybe that’s the best strategy for respectability during the rebuild. But to me its not about respectability while you feel you have no chance of winning it all. I’d roll all that savings, including the extra draft pick or picks from Goff into 2023 and get ready for our SB run then.

I’m betting Goff’s value will never be higher than right now. He’s overpaid for his recent performance… why should we be the ones to eat it when we have no realistic shot at anything worthwhile for the next year or two?

You asked why trade him, and I’ve tried to outline reasons why. However, I see no chance of this happening, I think our staff wants to “give him a chance”. That’s fine, we have no choice but to roll with it, but if you REALLY want to make a splash in 2023, you trade him know, shed salary that you can bank, and accumulate even more draft capital.

Goff can’t be traded.

The staff has said “Goff is our guy. We wanted him. We went out and got him.”

If they bail on him now they will lose the team. They will have basically told the current and future NFL players that the coach/GM can’t be trusted.

They have started out their regime getting great respect from around the NFL world for allowing Stafford to go elsewhere. I think Stafford has a LOT of respect around the league and this trade was a win-win. We are at a turning point.

If Goff plays himself out of a job, so be it. Everyone will get that.

1 Like

Don’t disagree. The train has left the station.

Thanks for the reply Jersey. I appreciate your post.

If you looked at the stats for Matt Stafford Matt rabn hot in 2011 and then bottomed out on 2012 and 2013. Are there reasons for that? Yes and they are good ones. I love me some Stafford. Tough as nails. Folks are acting like we have always fielded Stafford from 2015-2020 after Caldwell taught Matt how to be a professional QB.

Jared Goff has had more success than Stafford because he had a great defense and a running game. When those things went away Goff suffered.

My point is I like where Goff is right now. Experienced. Been in at least two offenses. And now hungry. If he is willing to get to work what he CAN be isn’t written yet. I like that. McVay and the Rams decided they couldn’t wait. So we get Goff, the need to work with him, a large contract and draft assets. I’ll take that.

When you say Goff’s value will never be higher than right now…I think you are wrong. Jared Goff seems like a hard working young man. Talented. And now he is ready to see his short comings and we have some folks in place who can help him. If we work with that there is a lot to like there.

If you say that about Goff in 2021…what were you saying about Stafford in 2014, ESP. after Matt bottomed out versus the Cardinals in 2014 and was benched. Did you think in 2021 he was worth 2 1st rd. picks, a 3rd rd. pick and a different QB? If you are being honest the answer was no.

In 2023 Goff will be 28/29 years old. Am I buying he gets better? Yep. I’m buying that. Goff has done stuff Matt has never done and that matters to me. Goff isn’t shitting the bed in playoff games (neither did Matt) meaning Jared isn’t just a hapless game manager.

Now…all of this is in light of drafting a young QB who is cheaper but would be a HUGE question mark versus a guy that has won playoff games. I’ll take that every day at this point. We need to support Goff.

As a last point…what QB killed in early in his first contract with his first team playing as a rookie? Rodgers didn’t start or play until his 4th season. Yep, he sat for THREE YEARS. Tom Brady didn’t break 100 as a season QB rating until his 8th season. Yep. 8th season. In fact, Tom didn’t didn’t hit 90+ as a season rating until his 5th season. Wow. Drew Brees had to go to a different team. Andrew Luck was really good in his 3rd NFL season but his first two seasons not as much.

Goff is a bit of a reclamation project but what he has done so far is impressive. He is worth the time, investment and risk at this point. Jared Goff doesn’t have that magic arm but with a defense and running game he went to the damn Super Bowl. To me that is worth seeing if we can get his game back on track. I am not trading him to anyone at this point as the upside ( solid starting QB) IS the goal and I don’t want to save $ on a rookie only to find out they are shit.

1 Like

I went to school with a kid who had the last name Beaver. His dad was a gynecologist. The Doctor Beaver jokes write themselves. And to make it even more amusing, many years ago his dad fell in love with a female gynecologist and married her, and that girl is his mom. The Beavers have a practice together. They make lots of money and lots of laughs about the irony of their name.

I worked with a guy with the last name Dick. The jokes are so obvious and consistent from everybody that he said he was 15 years old before he realized how funny his mom’s name was (Sharon).

3 Likes

I’d be very shocked if Goff got traded,

…but I was also very shocked we got two 1rst, 3rd, and Goff for Matthew Stafford.

download (1)

Gunga Gulunga!!

2 Likes

Goff I think is a good student with good football background , I see him do better here . Brady and Wilson don’t look that talented, but them always want to improve make them great . Same about brees too

You’re bringing me around…a little. I guess the difference is whether you think he’ll improve. If so, we may have found a gem. Me, I’m skeptical. That’s why our opinion differs on the point of whether his value is highest now. If you think he’ll improve every year, and that three years from now he’ll be comparable to Matt in his prime, you’re right. If you think the last two years, with a solid D and a little bit better running game than us, are his ceiling, then I’m right.

Besides, we would probably only get a second-rounder for Goff if we went that route, or maybe two Day 2 picks in 22 or 23. Is that worth passing up on to get a good read on Goff. I suppose t may be if you think there’s a reasonable chance of him succeeding. Again, I’m skeptical. He has Matt’s athleticism without the arm.

Really, its moot since we’re keeping him, so I will be rooting hard for him to succeed.

My overall point about Goff is my belief that QBs often take time to develop. That is what makes DeShaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes so special. These two are coming out of the gate playing like ten year veterans. Amazing. But that isn’t common. Mahones sat for a year and Watson sat for 9 games as a rookie. That doesn’t explain their crazy and amazing play… These guys are just special. Russell Wilson is also special. It is amazing what these guys did so early in their careers. Lamar Jackson is also amazing…but his rookie year was typical before he turned it on these past two seasons.

Carson Wentz was a typical rookie struggling. He blew up year two and had an amazing run between 2017-2019. He fell back to the ground in 2020 but his OL also sucked. 50 sacks this season.

My viewpoint is I’ll take a guy who has played really well but fell into a funk versus trying to be a team who is trying to get a guy doing something he has never done before. Most QBs struggle early in the NFL. Baker mayfield had a really good rookie season and was pretty bad last season. He was solid this season but we all know that team took pressure off his shoulders and simplified the game. Smart.

Joe Burrow struggled a bit but looks pretty good overall. But he wasn’t amazing like some others. He will be fun to watch in year two. Josh Allen was bad as a rookie, better as a second year player and really good this year. A pretty solid career path. Sam Darnold has struggled.

Some QBs are not good from the beginning and never get better. Some guys flash then fall back and can be great again. Drew Brees comes to mind. Tom Brady wasn’t that great early on. The defense and running game carried him until he got his feet under him.

It seems reasonable to see if we can get Goff back on track. I like that a hell of a lot more than hoping a rookie tears it up. Yep, some rookie sare amazing. Jaw dropping great. And some rookies are Jameis Winston. Or Mitch Trubisky. Can the Saints save Jameis? I don’t know about that one.

I feel a whole lot better helping Goff get back to form than a Winston for example.

1 Like

I had a firearms instructor yrs ago his name was Dick Love, I always thought it had to be rough growing up with a name like that

His brother might have named him

I played football with a kid named Jack Cass too… we had a lot of fun with that name.

2 Likes

100% agree.

The more I read, Goff was clearly scapegoated in LA. Sure he undoubtedly shares some blame for his less stellar seasons in 2019 and 2020, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out he was playing with half a deck the last 2 seasons.

2019 - 31st ranked running game and Brandon Cooks missed about half the games I think.
2020 - 17th ranked running game, but no Brandon Cooks and no WR on the team faster than 4.5 speed.

I think he has a great chance to succeed and be a top 10 QB for the Lions.

1 Like