Texans releasing, not trading, J.J. Watt

Wow. Per Schefter and Rappaport. Says he asked for a release and the Texans obliged.

I think he’s going to the Steelers with his brothers.

1 Like

Wow! Houston is a top notch dumpster fire at the moment!

2 Likes

In best tony romo impersonation…
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Had a base salary of $17,500,000 for 2021.

Except for 2018, in the past 5 years, Watt hasn’t been worth the money:

He’s been oft-injured, 32 years old in March, and with dramatically declining production.

Arguably, a good move for the Texans.

When you factor in that they’ve hired a 4-3 scheme defensive coordinator, it makes sense also from a scheme standpoint:

1 Like

Dose pittsburgh have money?

elephant in the room . question being , should WE have interest?

I would say no.

Aged/aging stars are not the best fit for teams in the middle of a rebuild. I think teams that are on the brink are better candidates, myself.

2 Likes

irrelevant because Watt would have no interest in Lions. He has stated he will only go to a contender at this point. But the answer would have been no anyway.

Nah, no cap room for this year and he’s likely wanting to go somewhere ready to win like Stafford. Not a team rebuilding.

contender my ass, he’s not the young college stud he WAS, and thread title says he is regressing AND can’t stay healthy…so he’s no longer top-shelf , he’s middling. and COULD have use for us as a pass rusher. due to we are a LB -hungry team.

Would be crazy if he and Suh end up in TB… Not that they need him. but I think he’d enjoy FL.

Does he fit in Tampa? That would be a pretty special defense.

1 Like

Surprised he is being let go, flat out. Thought Houston could get something, anything. Houston Texans, the new Detroit Lions.

1 Like

Another mark against the Lions old ownership ways

As we see an example very similar to Calvin

As Lions were going to struggle with how to manage Calvin’s cap hit before he retired anyways.

1 Like

I’d say Buffalo or Tampa is where he ends up.

Are we and Houston trading places?? I’ll gladly take 10-6 and some playoff wins.

Yup - he has enough money to air condition hell. He’s looking for fun and fulfillment, possibly legacy.

1 Like

In my opinion, they could have lined him up at RDE and gladly paid his 17.5 mil this year. At worst, they line him up at LDE, but even then the value isn’t that far off.

I could be wrong, but I’m guessing he’s out for the same reason Stafford is. There’s a rebuild coming… again… and he’s 32 years old. They should be able to spin this into good press, how they’re doing the veteran a solid by allowing him to find a team via FA rather than them trying to finagle a trade.

ETA:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JJWatt/status/1360239504376922126

1 Like

Watt had a decent season in 2020, but nowhere near his All Pro production of 2012-2015 & 2018.

He’s not the same player and certainly no longer worth $17.5 Million.