Texans releasing, not trading, J.J. Watt

Perfectly normal guys. Watson is just a cancer.

1 Like

I feel like it’s more his ROI, vs where the team is. Let’s say he provides 9 sacks. Probably not gonna shine as much here as he would elsewhere, as he would be easy to scheme around, given our current defensive personnel.
Factor in salary cap.
Factor in age.
Factor in injury.

Watt is one of my fav non-Lion players, and I have zero interest, only because of timing (his age and where we are in the rebuild). by the time the Lions are doing anything meaningful, Watt would no longer be a force. It’d just be a name to put asses in the seats, and jerseys to sell (hype).

Love JJ
Love the Lions
Not together though.

I’d sign JJ for one year, 8 million or so. I think that’s about what Suh was getting.

And even at his peak, which was inarguably good, the defense had to be built and schemed to free him up to get sacks. Again, I’m not saying he wasn’t great in that role, but he was never the one-man wrecking crew that someone like peak Suh was.

Maybe I’m picking nits between super duper great and super duper duper great, but I’ve always felt that Watt’s gaudy numbers make people think his overall impact was bigger than it was (and again, it was still big).

1 Like

You see so many stupid talking heads comment about JJ Watt and Deshaun Watson as if they are similar. Oh they released Watt and they won’t release or trade Watson. One might get maybe a 5th in trade (maybe), the other if you were starting a franchise, might be the guy that you pick first to start your franchise and would get 3 1st plus in trade. smh

People like Mike Florio, Stephen A Smith and others need to shut up and let people with more than half a brain talk.

not a chance—we already gone thru some grey in the tooth has beens under quintrica

Like Everson Griffin and Sanu?!?!

And they still went 5-11

One thing is for sure…JJ is Dye-No-Miiite!!!

2 Likes

How many preseason games did Patricia win ?

League sources told ESPN’s Ed Werder that approximately a dozen teams initially had shown interest in Watt since his release, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills and Tennessee Titans. Sources said Watt’s priority in determining his next team will be his belief that he can play in a Super Bowl with that team based on its supporting cast; he has never reached a conference championship game.***

During the season, Watt made it clear he was not interested in playing for a team going through a “rebuild.”

“I don’t think it’s any secret that I don’t have 10 years left in this league,” Watt said in November. “I personally believe that I do have a few more great ones left in me. But you also can’t … I’m not looking to rebuild. I’m looking to go after a championship, and that’s what I want to do.”

1 Like

xTdAj9g3suhNFQx3BC

The only season when Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt did not have to fight double teams was in his rookie season in 2011 when he collected 5.5 sacks.

“If they were double-teaming me, they weren’t very smart,” Watt told reporters Wednesday.

However, the NFL learned throughout the course of 2012, Watt’s 20.5-sack season that netted him his first of three NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors, that they had to double-team the 6-5, 288-pound defensive end. Similarly, if the league forgot about Watt in 2018 because of his previous two seasons being marred with injury, his 16.0 sacks reminded them he needed to be double-teamed.

“I’ve always had it, so part of its obviously just taking it and fighting through it and doing what you can,” Watt said.

LMAO 32 is “Grey in the tooth.” damn I must be a fossil !

JJ started out as a TE at CMU, if you truly want to know how greatness is born. :wink:

Not as many as Marinelli in 2008

1 Like

Plus - Nellie wrestled a bear

Of course we would. Heck, if people want to argue a scrub backup QB is worth keeping around for 4 million for intangible value, imagine the intangible value of someone who actually played at a high level! Unfortunately, where the rubber meets the road, is reciprocation of interest. I simply can’t imagine a scenario where he would have the slightest interest in coming to the Lions for where both parties are currently at in their respective situations.

Just to play along though, let’s say someone slips him a Mickey and harvests enough of his brain where he wants to come to the Lions, but not so much that he can’t play. In that case, I can’t imagine our front office NOT wanting to snap him up, and draft some raw guys to work with him. He’s overcome a lot with injuries, he works hard, tough as nails, and leaves it all on the field. That’s exactly the kind of guy you want setting the tone.

This is going to sound weird, but I hope people understand where I’m coming from. If JJ Watt would sign with the 2021 Lions, I wouldn’t want him. It means he’s either chasing the biggest payday…he’s in some kind of weird mental state…or he’s damaged goods and all of the “good” teams passed.

3 Likes

Agree dont want injury prone players like nick bossa and jj watt.TJ watt is durable.Only sign durable players