Texas A&M RB Devon Achane - OMG

If he blows up due to the pre-draft process it’s bc he ahows the potential for receiving chops beyond what he was able to show at Jimbo U.

Everyone knows he’s fast as hell.

If teams start to believe he can be split out and run a fairly diverse route tree rhen he might just crack the top 35-40 picks.

2 Likes

If you’re drafting him as a receiver, I’d be fine with that.

2 Likes

If he’s got that kind of ability. 5-6 carries, 3-4 receptions and the KRs is probably the best way to use him.

Souped up Nyheim Hines. But Hines actually had a WR background. I’m doubtful that Achane can be quite that as a receiving threat.

See I’m thinking more along the lines of 1-2 carries but 6-10 catches. Plus all returns of course.

I know he doesn’t have the receiving chops right not but I’m telling you Tyreek was a terrible pass-catcher at Oklahoma State. We developed a screen game for him and I think we hit a few big plays out of it but that was it. It’s why I was so shocked when I heard they were moving him to WR. But when the defense is so scared of your speed it often affords you the room to basket-catch the ball, which Hill still does. His hands have improved over the years but he’s never been natural.

6-10 targets?

I do see what you’re getting at. If all of the speed threats at WR are small and flawed then why not opt for the fastest guy of all.

Yeah that’s the key. Some of those receivers are fast, but there’s fast then there’s Tyreek fast. And I think Achane might be the first guy I’ve seen who I can legitimately project to have that level of game speed.

1 Like

JaMoss disagrees w/ya man.

He’s up there in sheer speed but it’s different. Tyreek is a stop-start maven, a 0-60 fiend who stresses defense from every part of the field. He’s a jitterbug and a deep threat. Jamo is more like Moss, DeSean Jackson, Bob Hayes, an absolute flyer but from more traditional spots.

I think Achane is a lot more like Tyreek than the others.

1 Like

So just mark him down for 102 to 170 catches per year?

I buy that. His stride & boxy language look like moss when he’s running routes.

If he catches 6-10 balls a game, yes.

That’s why I asked if he meant targets

We try and get him 6-10 catches per game. Sometimes that would mean 12 targets, so that’s why I didn’t say targets exactly. Obviously we’d be fortunate to actually succeed, but I’d be alright with 4 for 130 and a couple of TDs.

I’ll take the best route runner all day long.

Personally, I think it’s 1…2 (Gibbs)…3 Fill in the blank. Seems like there are a lot of guys with fatal flaws. Bijan will go in the first, Gibbs may go at the end of round 1, top of round 2 IMHO. I don’t know another RB that screams high second rounder to me. Not many that should walk in and start somewhere even in a rotation.

1 Like

To me the name that should be said after Bijan and Gibbs is Tyjae Sharpe. And in some ways I like Sharpe better than Gibbs for our offense.

I definitely prefer Spears to Gibbs. But two ACL on the same knee is a bit concerning.

I think you guys might be underestimating his ability as a RB. Achane has no fear running between the tackles and he is very tough for his size. He is more of a north south runner and if he gets a crease he’s off to the races. I think that is what makes him such a dangerous kick returner. He’s not a great receiver or blocker in pass protection. His short arms may limit him from ever being good at those tasks. To me he looks more like a change of pace back that is very explosive.

2 Likes

Can he be David Meggatte?

I just think you’re potentially not getting the most out of him if you use him that way. He could be an electric change of pace back, or he could be a foundational piece of the offense. Now that’s only if he can handle the change and that’s up to Brad & Co to figure out, but it’s definitely something I’d consider.