The 5 most valuable positions according to analytics

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNoBKU3ljUy/?igshid=8hy387zii07u

I thought this was an interesting find and thought I’d share. I like this account overall too. It does a good job with lots of heavy analytical stuff and provides those kinds of analyses.

2 Likes

Sooo will that be Kyle Pitts or Jaycee Horn?

Cool post thank you for sharing! Interesting to see… TE, Safety CB and WR… I can see where BQ may have been coming from in some of his picks… and we’ll see where Holmes leans but we know he has made some great safety and wr picks…

The explanation regarding tackles and edge rushers was very thought provoking I thought.

I don’t check Instagram very often but will keep an eye on this one

Also, while this is the top 5, I would be curious as to what 6-11 are. What’s the least important position? I guess that would be 6-22 for offense and defense… you know what I mean!

That was the entire intent of the exercise. To be thought provoking and get eyes on it. He makes valid points but what he does is twist those points in order to bastardize the end results…hence ending up with a result that is a contrarian hot take.

I’m just going to copy and paste this here. Did Matt Patricia post this? Or was it THIS guy? LOL

“Edge rushers are overvalued largely due to the perception that the pass rush dictates defensive performance”

2 Likes

For sure, and I don’t know or pay much attention to any of the analytics and how they are calculated. However, the statement “most sacks are coverage sacks we don’t see on tv unless you have all 22” I thought was interesting, yet I have no idea how accurate it may be.

Also, what is “most” sacks? 90%, 75%?

But, seeing the trend of Holmes finding good DBs in the draft, BQ at least attempting to find them, it does make me wonder if the edge rusher is a bit overvalued.

I went into a deep dive on edge rushers back in the mid 2000’s and all of the ways in which I thought they were overrated and overpaid. I also think left tackles are overrated and overpaid. With edge guys there are ways to avoid the “bro tax” on them. But for left tackles you are kind of stuck paying the price of admission.

But having a nuanced discussion on why a left tackle is overrated is a far cry from saying all 5 offensive line positions are the same in terms of value…they just stand somewhere different. And that’s what this guy is selling.

1 Like

Seems more opinion based to me but ok.

Here is a counter to that.

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/Hardest-Positions-in-Football

The hardest positions in football require a special caliber of athlete. These are the most important jobs on the field, and to play them takes athleticism, intelligence, and courage.

1 Like

Here is one more for you that is supposedly rooted in analytics.

1 Like

Is it me or did they skip TE?

Anyone copy the article!?!

I don’t do Instagram

1 Like

IOL ranked over DT and WR. Sorry but no. Where are the statistics to support this? The description just says how valuable nelson and martin are for the colts and cowboys. The problem is, they are both absolute monsters with everyone else far behind. And if you are only going to compare the top players… who has more value? Aaron Donald or Quinton Nelson? It’s not even close. Or Nelson or devante Adams? There is a reason guards make less money by a significant margin. They just don’t impact the game like people who score touchdowns or sack the QB.

It’s not an article, it’s a post, but you shouldn’t need an account to see it.

Every single position is valuable on the field. That’s what makes the game so exciting.

I would argue that it’s not very valuable to spend your WAD on an all world LT against the LA Rams if the rest of your line sucks. Aaron Donald is going to eat you for lunch.

Every position is valuable. The league is shifting that way. You are going to see less and less money thrown at certain positions (SANS QB of course).

There are outliers of course. But it’s folly to invest big $$ in a position just because that position is considered ‘high value’. We learned that lesson with Flowers.

What we invested in with Flowers was “versatility” the same thing people are saying is the reason why it’s wicked smaaat to draft Parsons. Just sayin…

This is 100% correct, but the value as it pertains to the capital required to obtain those positions is where the differences lie.

It’s like a soup. Every ingredient is valuable to the dish, but it’s much cheaper to acquire the pinch of salt or the cilantro or the onion than it is the meat and beans. And if you’re planning on adding a little saffron, you better be ready to use a 1st round pick.

The soggy French bread at the bottom of French Onion soup is certainly not valuable.

No that’d be your long snapper.

Bob Quinn really likes the soggy French bread on the bottom of French Onion soup.

I like the soggy stuff!! :crazy_face:

Yeah, like what the heck? Maybe y’all need to step up your French Onion soups, because the bread (house-made croutons from house-made bread) in the French Onion soup I get is delicious.

Tip of the hat to Lucky’s there.