The 5 most valuable positions according to analytics

It’s not working but maybe I’ll check in my laptop when I can

My favorite restaurant but I like their potato soup better.

1 Like

What I’ve learned from people this year is the best strategy to block Donald is to take the best LT on the board. Then move him to guard. Then later move that guy to LT, which opens up a hole at guard again. So draft another LT to fill that guard spot again. But under no circumstances should you try to take a guard…to play guard.

Why draft a guard to play guard when you can draft an OT to play guard.

It’s the same for WR. Why draft a WR to play WR when you can draft a TE and play him at WR.

Makes perfect sense to me.

1 Like

I think you guys are onto something here. We could really use a safety and there’s lots of good CB’s, so lets draft a CB and move him to S! This really opens things up! Going to have to re-do all my mocks now!

1 Like

Our long snapper is not soggy bread!! He’s the golden, gooey cheese on top of our special teams crock. :grinning:

Tavai is the soggy bread on the bottom…

Both gooey and crisp. The Mule is the total fromage package.

Btw, once had french onion soup with a lamb stock rather than beef stock. That was pure ambrosia. But only if you enjoy gamey flavors.

This is a pretty interesting tidbit re: positional value:

2 Likes

I’ve been saying something similar for years. I have no idea why people think you can just plug in Anthony Munoz at LT and suddenly the world is your oyster. A lineman blocks 1 frickin guy, and if he’s got some wheels he can block a guy and get a chip on another guy. But if that LT is so dang good, all you gotta do is move to attack another guy.

I’ve talked about a singular offensive lineman having a point of diminishing returns once you get above the level of competence. Its one of the only positions like that. Heck, it may be the ONLY position like that. You are much better off committing resources to bringing one of your line positions from a 4 to a 6 than you are trying to get one of your guys from a 6 to an 8…for instance. Its a much better use of resources rather than chasing the dragon trying to find the next singular hall of game offensive lineman.

1 Like

For all of you saying this is “opinion based”, it’s not. It’s according to PFF’s calculations of WAR.

2 Likes

Man I’ve been looking for this since I read it almost a year ago, thanks for posting it. Was driving me crazy.

Everyone should read it, this is the real way of the NFL. Value wins championships.

1 Like

It makes sense. If you have a weak link, teams are going to go after it over and over. The o-line is one group that really is all about working together as a unit and the TE’s are just as important to that unit in the blocking game.

Actually it is.

Those rankings are based off PFF rankings. Which all those rankings are opinion based. Not to mention many are being done by nobodies. People who never coached or even played the game. Lastly even if they were done by their most knowledgeable analysts… they do not know blocking assignments or defensive responsibilities so how can they grade those positions correctly?

Most coaches laugh at reports who pull up PFF rankings. They do this because they should be taken with a grain of salt.

PFF is owned by Cris Collinsworth and has plenty of former players on staff. Maybe not guys from the highest level (though I know Zac Robinson worked their for awhile as an analyst), but then Bill Belichick didn’t play at the highest level either, and would you question his knowledge? Kyle Shanahan? Mike Zimmer? Bill Walsh?

The coaches who laugh at PFF are the old school ones who are getting left behind.

A funny thought that came to mind after seeing these rankings was that perhaps Matt Millen was actually a genius after all. He drafted WR’s every year in the first round and they are apparently the 2nd most valuable position. lol

Let me add this. Either these analytics people know more than the experts in the NFL or they’re wrong.

You can prove this point by simply looking at how NFL teams allocate their cap resources.

Also the writer is using WAR and salary to make his point, neither of which is opinion based. You’re talking about PFF grades, which is fair enough, but they weren’t used in this calculation.

They do have some good people on their staff but they are not doing all the film study. Their just teaching and spot checking the people doing it. They outsource the work to 3rd world countries like India and Africa

So Penny in India looks at 1000’s of snaps and gives her rankings. Then someone like Zac spot checks the work.

And my point still stands … they don’t know what the assignments were.

I used to have a PFF premium subscription. I found a lot of things they put out to be very questionable.

Yes it is … how do you think they figured WAR.

They even make this disclaimer in the article.

SALARY CAP IMPLICATIONS

Even if you’re skeptical of PFF’s WAR metric — or point to certain teams valuing certain positions more than others — you can’t reject the very real salary cap implications of drafting certain positions.