The 5 most valuable positions according to analytics

Is that true!? That’s crazy to me.

No not opinion. They’re using math. They show their work here. Their math may be wrong, and they may be “nobodies”, but it’s not “opinion”.
https://www.pff.com/war#:~:text=Positional%20value&text=After%20quarterbacks%2C%20wide%20receivers%2C%20defensive,have%20the%20highest%20average%20WAR.

Yes it’s true.

Do you really believe they pay these 3 or 4 retired men on their staff, some who are former coaches, to watch every NFL game and every college game, every snap by every player, etc etc … they out source it. We’re talking millions of snaps here. Think about it.

At one time they was using a guy in Australia who was doing it in his basement with his friends. None of them had ever even seen an NFL football. But let’s trust their rankings.

Did you actually read that.

They tell you they are using the PFF grades on line one.

METHODOLOGY

Broadly, the PFF WAR model does these things, in order:

• Determine how good a given player was during a period of time (generally a season) using PFF grades;

How is that math?

Yikes, it would seem like they would be looking for dudes that at least played college ball. I can’t imagine some dude in India evaluating football players accurately.

This is pretty much BS. I have a friend who worked their for awhile and yes, at first they needed to hire some freelancers to help with their work. But it never had anything to do with tape watching or football, only coding and number crunching. And they have enough of a foothold now that they can do it almost solely in house.

You have some sort of a strange vendetta against PFF to phrase things the way you do.

1 Like

No it’s not BS.

Here is what PFF says on their own website

WHO IS DOING THE GRADING ? PFF employs over 600 full or part-time analysts, but less than 10% of analysts are trained to the level that they can grade plays. Only the top two to three percent of analysts are on the team of “senior analysts” in charge of finalizing each grade after review.

Who do you think the part time analysts are?

Do you really believe their paying 600 quality people. Do you really think they make enough money selling stats to do that?

It’s the classic folly of thinking that assigning numbers to a subjective analysis all of a sudden makes it objective.

This line of thinking was the bane of my existence during my time at Dow when Six Sigma was in vogue.

1 Like

So they have 600 analysts and only 10% are trained to do it.

Their work is spot checked … just like I said.

I have no vendetta against PFF … lol

I’m just pointing out the facts.

You should take their analysis with a grain of salt. That’s my point.

Since you brought up Bill B. and you don’t want to take my word for things.

Would you question Bills knowledge?

Here’s what Bill had to say on the subject.

Bill Belichick admitted that when he’s studying the film of an opponent, even he has limitations in knowing what each player was and was not supposed to do on any given play. During games, Belichick may not even know the correct responsibilities for his own players, because they could change their coverage before the snap.

It’s math, because they attached a mathematical variant to each action by each player in a play, and it appears to be a lot more mathematical than the articles you shared which show no math whatsoever, and looks completely based on “opinion”. At least they show their methodology. Where’s the methodology for them or do you only have such stringent rules for PFF?

It’s likes this.

Player A is ranked 1st
Player B is ranked 2nd
Plated C is ranked 23rd

Use math to figure WAR based off rankings.

Rankings are subjective to begin with and are an opinion formed by people who aren’t in the know. (see article about BB above)

Just because some Math was used doesn’t mean that an opinion wasn’t formed to start the equation.

It’s flawed… it is still just someones opinion.

Even if you use stats to form your opinion it’s still an opinion.

Yeah, that’s not the methodology they use to rank players. They don’t just say “Joe is ranked 2nd, Mike is ranked 3rd, and Ralph is ranked 23rd” “Based on what?” “I don’t know? They’re Joe, Mike, and Ralph?” You’re oversimplifying their analysis.

“Opinions” are the basis for what the calculations are set up on.

Adding numbers to an objective opinion is not real “math.”

Of course I’m over-simplifying it. I’m trying to make it easy to understand.

But the base of their through process starts with a ranking system that’s based off an opinion. An opinion made by people who aren’t in the know.

I have no doubt PFF is using an algorithm to help them grade such a huge volume of players/games. Most companies at that size are. It’s smart business. Then using qualified people to confirm or say “hey I don’t see it this way.” People can throw the baby out with the bath water because it’s an imperfect system, but it’s a resource that’s far better than most.

2 Likes

Well, let’s hope he’s wrong. Because if WR is #2, as of now the Lions are in BIG trouble. And even if they choose a blue-chip WR a #7, expecting him to be a world-beater his rookie season is a bit much, especially without a sure-fire #2 talent on the opposite side.

Lions’ fans will have to show some patience, I’m afraid. I do think the right guys have been hired to lead this process.

As you mentioned, Lions fans are going to have to be patient. This is about more than the 2021 season.

Just did a little homework and was gonna post a new thread but found this gem instead.

Here’s what I looked at: Top 10 draft picks from 2011-2020. That is 10 years and 100 total selections.

Results:

• QB = 22

• RB = 6

• WR = 11

• TE = 2

• OT = 14

• OG = 3 (C.Warmack, J.Cooper, Q.Nelson)

• OC = 0

• DE = 13

• DT = 4

• LB*** = 13

• CB = 10

• S = 2 (M.Barron, J.Adams)

100 total picks

• 58 Offense
  • 42 Defense

*** The Linebacker position was a little confusing to list. They had 1 player (Roquan Smith) listed as an “ILB”. They had 3 players (L.Floyd, D.Fowler, V.Beasley) listed as “OLB”. The remaining 9 players were listed as “LB”, including K.Mack, J.Allen, V.Miller. So I just clumped any player with “LB” in their position title in to one group. This positional group is very much up for debate. Total number was 13 players none the less…

Could be many ways to interpret this information.

LINK for references

1 Like

I wonder who those 2 TEs were?:joy: