The case for Jaxon Smith-Njigba at #6

And, from personal experience, a calf strain. Every time you strain it the muscle heals or almost heals a micrometer shorter, so its more prone to pull again. and again. and again. Ruined one whole summer for me.

1 Like

this is why I see Chark as a priority.

3 Likes

I think JSN is a good target because he separates and catches the ball. What makes Kupp and Saint so good is they do that but also block and give you something after the catch or even jet sweeps. I would not put JSN in that class just yet.

1 Like

I don’t know how JSN is as a blocker, I was just making the point that Kupp doesn’t seem to have a problem making big plays despite running a 4.62. ARSB is great on short to intermediate routes but doesn’t seem to have that ability to get thw YAC that Kupp does, JSN seems to have that YAC ability like Kupp.

2 Likes

What’s the difference?

JSN and Bradberry or CGJ at NB is the same as Gonzalez and Chark. I prefer option A from an impact though.

Either way it’s a pick and 13M or so…. We aren’t going to resign tons of guys. Keep drafting the drafts best players in each round, and sign what you need.

I trust JSN against a teams 3rd option cover guy over Gonzalez on the opposing #1

Yep, I see that side of it too. A year in the offense, he came on strong once he was healthy… I definitely would support bringing him back too!

In the grand scheme of things, the lions have really set themselves up nicely to have options. They can take a WR but don’t have to, they can take a QB but don’t have to, take a CB or DL somewhere but can pick and choose, they have cap flexibility… they’ve really turned the team around from the train wreck it was 2 years ago.

And they don’t ever show their hand while also being pretty open and honest about what they want to improve! Like what is going on?

Who are you and what have you done with the “traditional” Lions?? :rofl:

Option A looks better for 2023…it usually takes corners longer to gel than WRs. but…

I think Chark will be less than someone like Bradberry. Guess we’ll see. Also, CB is very deep, most on the board prefer Wilson @6 if we don’t trade down and the two defensive studs are gone.
But I get your point if we go corner at 6, and Chark gets more than I think he will.

He’s never going to blow up plays because he can’t block, but he also doesn’t make huge blocking plays like Amon-Ra and Jamo do sometimes that pop off the film.

1 Like

Show me in college

In a lot of ways I think JSN and St. are too damn similar but they really do have different superpowers. St. is about strength and explosiveness whereas JSN is all about quickness and change of direction.

I’m intrigued. Even at 6 JSN would be very likely to outplay his initial contract by quite a bit.

4 Likes

We’ve seen Goff without enough weapons… it’s bad. Too many? No problem. He loves to distribute and keep defenses from keying in on just a few players.

I think the Lions would love to get another good WR in the mix somewhere in the top 2 rounds. Chark is decent and has upside if his health is good, but he’s going to be expensive and likely <3 years. A good rookie WR can give you >4+.

1 Like

With the way the league has gone it’s nearly impossible to over-invest at WR or CB. Impossible when assuming that quasi-sane roster management strategies are utilized.

2 Likes

Jared Goff- Todd Gurley- Kupp- Woods- Watkins/Cook and Higbee put up 1,000 points in 2 seasons between 17-18’ in 32 games….

No team in the NFL has done that in 21-22’ in 34 games.

Jared Goff- Bijan- JSN- ASB- Jamo- D Washington would be on par….

I think Woods was more the reverse, jet sweep, blocking physical guy…. RA

Kupp was the quick footed, elusive, change of direction guy- JSN

Cooks- was the missile- Jamo

Again- I don’t think the defense takes a major leap with Gonzalez and D Banks in round 1…. I believe that Cam Sutton and M Peters accomplish that goal by week one.

1 Like

If Brad went JSN-Bijan at 6 &18 huge swaths of the fan base would freak the fook out.

Me? I’d be like…

John Oliver Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

3 Likes

That my friends is what I like to call a fully operational death star.

2 Likes

Death Stars lose the Super Bowl. Don’t do movies much?

The more I think about bringing in JSN the more I like it. Brad would have turned our WR room from a deserted wasteland to a strength in a matter of a few short years.

I could also get on board with Zay Flowers.

2 Likes

Not a ton of players have ‘scared’ me when I have watched as a UM fan. But JSN is one of those guys (Marvin Harrison Jr is another, Saquon Barkley at Penn State, and Kenneth Walker at MSU are the other ones I remember well recently).

These are guys that just take over games, and you have to just wrap your whole game plan around slowing them down. I think ‘that guy’ is pretty rare. I am not as good as some of you guys on cap management, roster balance, etc. But he would be a great contributor here for sure IMO.

If the Lions don’t draft him, I hope no one else in our division does. Have him go to the broncos or something, where I barely ever have to see him. Because he is a super talented dude in my book.

1 Like

A WR isn’t fixing this defense.

2 Likes

That first thread made a lot more sense. What happened to those smart guys? Like they got replaced with a bunch of Matt Millen’s children.

2 Likes