The Curious Case of Jashon Cornell

7th round draft pick, do they really think he’s worth keeping?

Cornell was selected by the Detroit Lions in the seventh round with the 235th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.[6] On August 2, 2020, the Lions signed Cornell to a four-year contract.[7] He was placed on injured reserve on August 20, 2020.[8]

On June 3, 2021, Cornell was suspended three games after violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.[9]

On November 10, 2021, Cornell was placed on the reserve/non-football illness list.[10] He was activated on December 28.[11]

He’s 25, won’t be 26 until after the season. Missed the rest of last season with a “non-football” injury? You almost have to believe that they have plans for the guy, that they like him, if he hasn’t been shown the door.

1 Like

Interesting. Wonder what they see in him? I expect our bubble players to start getting better, especially at his position.

If Brad and Dan are up to what I think they are up to, trenches will be dramatically improved. Trench guys will have plenty of competition soon.

Keeping him into training camp is a no-brainer because cutting him would save less than $42K. Maybe JC can perform miracles this year…

4 Likes

:point_up: :point_up:

I expect to see a couple Quinn’s past draft picks cut, Cornell is definitely one to consider. Needs a good training camp.

3 Likes

I get that, but I almost would have thought that his suspension would have been enough to move on. He just doesn’t seem to fit the mold of what they are looking for.

1 Like

But he may seem moldable to DC?!

1 Like

Here the article in this: he admits a mistake and working to correct it… love it

Here is another one…

Love the point made about DC and company wanting to help players more than before…. Giving those with potential a chance!

How cool would it be if he can suddenly contribute- just in sub packages and ST!!

1 Like

3rd year, hasn’t showed much yet, must feel urgency with his injuries and steroid(?) suspension, needs to prove something. He’s got every reason to ball out: Brockers is a placeholder at this point, Levi hasn’t stepped up yet. There’s opportunity if Cornell can produce–and more money on the other side.

1 Like

Yes, we have a serious need. The way he has remained on the outside looking in was curious, esp since new coaches and GM’s have less problem evicting players that they didn’t have a hand in acquiring. Good luck to him, he was one of the most highly rated players in America coming out of HS.

1 Like

that job will go to Jordan Davis. :wink:

2 Likes

Is he aging backwards?

2 Likes

Coming from his days at Ohio State, I always thought he had solid potential to be a steal for a 7th rounder. For various reasons, he hasn’t played.

He was a good pass rusher from Ohio State’s 3-tech spot. He also was solid in the run game. He just wasn’t an athletic freak like everyone around him, and wasn’t better than a Bosa or Chase Young, so he never got as much attention.

I really hope he gets a shot to succeed. I think he’s got potential.

3 Likes

The Lions either have hosted or will host a visit with Eric Johnson, a DT from Missouri State, who garnered attention at the Senior Bowl and a less showcase before that. Cornell is gonna have to step it up!!

Your interior linemen:

If we had to field a team of 53 players tomorrow, Cornell and Hector both make the cut. That’s nuts.
Help is coming via FA or the draft. It has to. Without an infusion of talent, one can only assume the tank is on.

Potential. He was slow as a defensive end in college but he has a quick first step and has pass rushing upside. He just needs to get on the field and prove it.

He’s only played 3tech for a couple years. We’ll have to see how he has developed. If it doesn’t happen this season it likely never will.

1 Like

Right now this second, he may just be our best interior pass rusher. S-A-D.

1 Like

In two years, he’s suited up for one game and in that one game, he played in 6% of the snaps. Not sure how you can draw a conclusion that he’s “our best interior pass rusher”.

1 Like

4 Likes

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon