The Detroit Pistons are bereft of hope. No place in professional sports is worse

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/detroit-pistons-bereft-hope-no-110819113.html

I was at the Magic-Pistons game last night.
Bereft of hope are the perfect words.
They look absolutely lost. Not one player had a good game.
Bogdonavich is a cancer. Openly yelling at teammates on and off the court. Cade is not someone you build your franchise around. His numbers come from garbage time and he’s a turnover machine. There is no clue or cohesiveness on O, and no effort at all on D. The promise of Ausar is gone … he doesn’t know how to come off the bench. Killian is way to tentative. Jaden Ivey looks like a lost, meek puppy. I don’t know where to start…bereft of hope is a perfect phrase.

1 Like

Maybe its the over priced head coach.

It might actually be justified. Or, alternatively, he’s trying to “earn” his way out of Detroit.

2 Likes

It all starts with a GM that drafts a soft, passive, non-shooting, unproven lefty from Europe, over a guy like Haliburton that showed out in college in all phases.

Next, draft another non-shooter, high turnover guy like Ivey, over a guy like Mathurin that not only shoots, but is fundamentally sound across the board.

Several other examples of this buffoonery, but these are two no-brainer picks most guys on this board could have gotten correct (and I posted heavily on another board prior to each being drafted).

They literally have a Bob Quinn running the show, and it’s a joke.

4 Likes

At least BQ got some oline players. Weaver is just really really bad.

1 Like

A high school kid who played in France over Tyrese Haliburton?

The Pistons traded third-year forward Saddiq Bey and Kevin Knox to the Warriors in exchange for center James Wiseman , team sources confirmed to The Athletic.

I was so pissed on the hayes pick over Halliburton. Now living in indy i get to hear how great Halliburton is every day… and unlike the colts who i can cheer for along with the lions, i can never cheer on the pacers… ughh i hate it!

2 Likes

The thing was Haliburton was the obvious pick–a proven accomplished player. Hayes wasn’t.

It should’ve been a “no brainer” pick for Weaver.

1 Like

Trading brown for peanuts was also a stupid no brainer. Trade the one guy who was a DNA piston. No wonder the pacers are playing great. They got our players

1 Like

Animated GIF

Living in DC, I am grateful that I am not a Wizard’s fan.
They may be worse than the Pistons. At least there is history there!

I honestly have no idea how Trey Weaver still has the GM job. It makes absolutely no sense. The entire roster is his. He built everything.

‘No sense’ is an appropriate description. The roster makes no sense. Weaver still calling the shots makes no sense.

Something rather interesting must be going on behind the scenes that allows the same garbage product to be put on the floor year after year.

I couldn’t agree more. It all started with Hayes over Haliburton. I was screaming at the TV. Haliburtan actually dropped to us and we passed. It was unfathomable to me. And apparently you. But not the smahtest man in the room.
Get Haliburton in 2020, and you don’t need a passive “too cool” Cade in 2021 with 1OA. To pair with a meek mild Hayes. You drop down and get another draft pick while picking Barnes or Mobley.
I also posted that with Hayes and Cunningham, the team reminded me of the Allan Houston/Grant Hill Pistons…way too passive. I remember Doug Collins screaming at one of his first practices: “Would someone please HIT someone??”
I was also all in on Shaedon Sharp or Ben Mathurin rather than Ivey. Bucket getters with high ceilings.

Imagine Haliburton, Sharpe or Mathurin, Ausar, Barnes/Mobley, Duren, with a bench of Beef Stew, and the person who dropped to you for passing on Cade (Wagner?).

We basically have to tear down the rebuild. Again.

2 Likes

Who?

Could not possibly care less about the NBA.

There are so many better ways to spend an evening…

You guys are wrong about this. A lot of people wanted Hayes at the time, Hailburton was known as the “safe” pick at the time with Hayes being the higher upside pick, absolutely nobody thought he would turn out to be what he turned into. There was no obvious pick that year.

Same with the Ivey pick. So much hindsight going on. Most were thrilled to land Ivey as most thought he was going top 4.
I too loved the pick but questioned the fit. Ivey would have been better suited to be on a team that would let him run the show and that had shooters surrounding him, the Pistons were not that team.

In any event, it looks like Weaver missed on both of those picks and the 2020 draft was a disaster but most of the fanbase was satisfied at the time if not thrilled with the Ivey pick.

The biggest problem isn’t necessarily the picks. It’s Weaver’s tunnel vision when it comes to putting together a balanced roster and the inability to surround the youth with any sort of vet depth once Grant was dealt especially. Plus his love affair with reclamation bigs.
The worst move of it all was Gores stepping in and shamelessly begging Monty Williams to come here. A coach that had zero interest in the job and is only in it for the money seemingly. This coach has poisoned these young guys, every single one outside of Cade possibly has regressed because they’re being dicked around. Ivey and now Ausar are the ones suffering the most from the Monty experiment, confidence shattered. I know he’s not going anywhere because I’m sure that buyout is massive but he’s been such a bad fit for this team and culture.

Should have a pool, “When will the Pistons win next?”

Guessing after the holidays.

We can agree to disagree.
Hayes’ ceiling was all theory. he played against inferior competition. And it was only IF he developed a shot, which was horrendous.
Haliburton was projected top 4. When the Bulls didn’t pick him, it was a shocker. Next he had to get past the Hawks at 6. When he did, I was literally jumping out of my chair, that we would get the second best PG after Ball. It was such an easy pick.
Agree with everything else, Monty Williams is a disaaster, and it is Gores’ fault. Yes, Weaver made a mistake with Bagley, but then doubled down with Wiseman, who is clueless. And while most of the fanbase WAS happy with Ivey, you can ask my best buddies about me wanting Mathurin or Sharpe. If we had picked Haliburton, Sharpe would have given us a potent guard combo. Add in Duren, Ausar, Bogey, Beef Stew, damn.