The Doldrums are coming

The NFL draft is upon us, and in ten days will be over and done with, then the long kiss goodnight until training camp. :sleeping:

I have to say, I am really looking ahead, and impatient, for that late July day to arrive. Admittedly, the draft doesn’t hold the luster of previous years, and that’s a good thing. I know it is, yet still leaves me feeling a bit hollow.

The draft is, for fans of a moribund team, like the mythical ship waiting to come in from days of yore, its hold filled with hopes and dreams of a better future ahead…but our ship IS here. Our dreams are so close to being realized.

Of course, I’m going to be excited to see who our newest Lions are, and logically I know that there will be a few splash moments and stories during the offseason, but I also know the Doldrums are coming. I can’t help but feel that the anticipation is going to make it seem so much longer than usual. I can’t be the only one to feel this, right?

6 Likes

Every year since I turned 25 has gone faster than the previous year. I’m not worried about it. It’s going to be here before we know it and unfortunately be over even quicker.

3 Likes

Ain’t that the truth!

2 Likes

Like a rock hits much harder in your 40’s than it does listening to it in your 20’s. “ 20 years now where’d they go? 20 years……I don’t know……I sit and I wonder sometimes where they’ve gone.” Bob nailed it with that one.

2 Likes

Here is my new “schedule” for the offseason.

• NFL free agency and lead up to the draft
  • DRAFT DAY!
  • Anticipation of drafted players press conferences and jersey selection
  • Anticipation of Detroit Lions “behind the scenes” draft video
  • Anticipation of the NFL schedule being dropped in May!!!
  • Spending weeks pouring over the details of the schedule and overanalyzing it
  • Anticipation of the first offseason training footage of the guys

That gets me to the beginning of June. And this is where OP and I are on the same page. The period between early June and mid/late July when training camp starts is maddening.

As a Canadian… after the draft is over in April I often wish the warmer months would last forever before the nfl season starts… couldn’t possibly wish for those months to feel slower.

The 6 months of winter… they can hurry the ■■■■ up asap :wink:

2 Likes

Tell me you’re twenty seven without telling me you’re twenty seven.

Jk.
The years start piling up on us don’t they
Regarding the op. I think June 1 cuts are more relevant for us than ever as we are finally a contender that vets may like

Not just for cuts, but also for those with June 1 roster bonuses that remain with the team. For example Goff. He’s obviously not going anywhere and if it gets to June 1 without a new contract, he gets a nice fat check for 5 mil.

I’m slowly creeping into my doldrums hiatus. Once I’m introduced to the newest Lions and we get over the initial excitement, I’m going into my summer-extension mode, doing everything I can to appreciate our too-short summers here, which means signing out and avoiding football. Vegging on Lions and hoping for fall doesn’t help the cause.

2 Likes

WRONG ALL. We have kicker drama out the wazoo coming!

That line is great…heck the song is great. Another Seger line that hits home for me; “Wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then”

1 Like

Also known as beer on the boat season. The sand bar on Torch Lake at that time is filled with college bikinis. Perfect for old farts to enjoy a cold beverage and keep my mind off the waiting.

2 Likes

I wish I was 27. Then I wouldn’t have to play the “why does that hurt?” Game every morning. Lol

3 Likes

Spring and summer fishing and foraging.
It works perfectly.

2 Likes