The Empire, er I'm mean, Defense Strikes Back, delivers huge plays in Lions’ stunning comeback win

I can’t imagine how deep those guys had to dig after being on the field the majority of the game.

The offense set them up for failure and they stepped up bigtime.

3 Likes

I can’t believe they had anything left in the tank.

Overall it was a weird game. The Bears had their number, but they stepped up just enough to get the job done.

1 Like

Could make things rough for Thanksgiving.

1 Like

Hutch is a machine….

the machine GIF by Bert Kreischer

Okay let’s not get carried away.

The most important stop - the difference in the game - was the three-and-out inside three minutes, and that only happened because the Bears decided that somebody in Ford Field had to do the SOL thing where you get over-conservative instead of getting a first down.

1 Like

Huh Confused GIF - Huh Confused Dont Know - Discover & Share ...

They threw a low percentage deep ball on 3rd down and almost completed it:

1 Like

So you’re just going to ignore first and second down? That’s your plan?

I swear people will come on this site and say anything. “Charlie Brown had hoes.” No he didn’t. That’s not true.

The fact is that if the Bears had done in that series what they had been doing all game, they would have gotten the first down and would have won.

Points for a Charlie Brown reference. Double points for the comment.

Their defensive approaches in 2-minute is largely to blame for their loss, too.

They made stops when needed. Yes, Chicago’s coaching was responsible because of the bad playcalling.

Detroit’s defense gave up a TD on the 1st drive, then later in the game gave up 5 straight drives with points. Yes, they were on the field for 2/3 of that game so they were gassed.

Bottom line: They won, which is what mattered. A decent QB and team shreds this defense, and Detroit can’t assume theyll score 40 every game. Major work needs to be done on that side of the ball in the offseason yet again.

Lions gave up over 185 yards rushing. Not great.

What did they do in the immediate prior drive? Pretty much just run the ball:

• 1st & 10 at CHI 9

(13:00 - 4th) K.Herbert right guard to CHI 18 for 9 yards (J.Paschal).

• 2nd & 1 at CHI 18

(12:21 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Herbert up the middle to CHI 21 for 3 yards (J.Jacobs, J.Paschal).

• 1st & 10 at CHI 21

(11:38 - 4th) R.Johnson right end to CHI 19 for -2 yards (J.Paschal, J.Campbell).

• 2nd & 12 at CHI 19

(11:00 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Fields right end to CHI 27 for 8 yards (A.Anzalone).

• 3rd & 4 at CHI 27

(10:15 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Fields pass incomplete deep left to D.Mooney. PENALTY on DET-B.Branch, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at CHI 27 - No Play.

• 1st & 10 at CHI 32

(10:10 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Herbert left tackle to CHI 36 for 4 yards (A.Anzalone).

• 2nd & 6 at CHI 36

(9:34 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Fields scrambles right end to CHI 41 for 5 yards (J.Campbell).

• 3rd & 1 at CHI 41

(8:54 - 4th) (Shotgun) K.Herbert left tackle to CHI 44 for 3 yards (A.Anzalone; A.Hutchinson).

• 1st & 10 at CHI 44

(8:15 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Fields left end to CHI 48 for 4 yards (D.Barnes).

• 2nd & 6 at CHI 48

(7:33 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Fields sacked at CHI 40 for -8 yards (A.McNeill).

• 3rd & 14 at CHI 40

(6:48 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Fields scrambles left end to DET 31 for 29 yards (T.Walker). PENALTY on DET-C.Sutton, Illegal Contact, 5 yards, enforced at DET 31.

• 1st & 10 at DET 26

(6:20 - 4th) K.Herbert left tackle to DET 24 for 2 yards (A.Anzalone, J.Campbell).

• 2nd & 8 at DET 24

(5:42 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Fields left tackle to DET 23 for 1 yard (J.Campbell).

• 3rd & 7 at DET 23

(5:01 - 4th) (Shotgun) R.Johnson up the middle to DET 21 for 2 yards (T.Walker; A.Hutchinson).

• 4th & 5 at DET 21

(4:15 - 4th) C.Santos 39 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-P.Scales, Holder-T.Gill.

12 runs
1 incomplete pass, but bailed out by an automatic 1st down penalty on Branch
1 sack

How about the drive before that?

• 1st & 10 at DET 43

(2:25 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Fields pass incomplete short middle to M.Lewis.

• 2nd & 10 at DET 43

(2:22 - 3rd) (Shotgun) K.Herbert up the middle to DET 38 for 5 yards (J.Cominsky).

• 3rd & 5 at DET 38

(1:44 - 3rd) (Shotgun) R.Johnson right tackle to DET 32 for 6 yards (C.Sutton; A.Anzalone).

• 1st & 10 at DET 32

(1:06 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Fields pass short left to D.Moore to DET 25 for 7 yards (K.Joseph).

• 2nd & 3 at DET 25

(0:24 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Fields left tackle to DET 23 for 2 yards (A.Anzalone).

END QUARTER 3

• 3rd & 1 at DET 23

(15:00 - 4th) J.Fields up the middle to DET 23 for no gain (A.Anzalone).

• 4th & 1 at DET 23

(14:12 - 4th) C.Santos 40 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-P.Scales, Holder-T.Gill.

4 runs
1 completion
1 incompletion

The drive before that?

• 1st & 10 at DET 40

(6:32 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Fields left end pushed ob at DET 28 for 12 yards (A.Anzalone).

• 1st & 10 at DET 28

(5:51 - 3rd) K.Herbert left end to DET 28 for no gain (D.Barnes; J.Paschal). CHI-B.Jones was injured during the play.

• 2nd & 10 at DET 28

(5:13 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Fields scrambles right end pushed ob at DET 23 for 5 yards (D.Barnes). PENALTY on CHI-D.Wright, Offensive Holding, 11 yards, enforced at DET 28 - No Play.

• 2nd & 21 at DET 39

(4:41 - 3rd) (Shotgun) J.Fields pass deep right to D.Moore for 39 yards, TOUCHDOWN.C.Santos extra point is GOOD, Center-P.Scales, Holder-T.Gill.

3 runs with one negated by a holding penalty
1 long TD pass

LAST 3 DRIVES (which resulted in 13 points):

19 runs
4 passes, 2 completed, 1 sack

FOR THE GAME

183 yards on 46 carries
169 yards on 16 completions

What were they doing most of the game? Running the ball.
What were they doing on the second to last drive? Running the ball.

I swear, people will come on this site and say anything

1 Like

Chicago played it by the book on that series. 2 runs to eat clock and then a pass attempt on 3rd and long. That’s by the book. Luckily Detroit is much better against the run than the pass and they missed on their pass although their guy was open.

I think were Chicago choked the most was in not using their timeouts. They really should have had more than 29 seconds. Thinking the Lions were going to run out of time just wasn’t a good plan, as Detroit had ample time.

3 Likes

I wondered about that too.

The defense is now 22nd in the league in scoring defense. Given how easy the schedule was this year, the QBs they’ve played, if anyone really considers this impressive, I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

We’ve got good enough players IMO to be better than that.

1 Like

Yeah def has been bad the past two weeks now but tbf

i wont exactly put alot of shit on them this game though

4 turnovers, with 2 on the our own 30 and them dominating time of possesion is uhhh

rough, even for the best defenses

2 Likes

That’s fair.

You’re going to treat all runs as if they’re the same?

On the last drive one run was up the middle, one was left tackle, both by Herbert.

Of the 19 runs you identify, 9 of them were by Fields. Of the 10 other runs, only three were up the middle.

The Bears ran ball control, don’t-fumble, don’t-lose-yards plays at the end. If the roles have been reversed everyone in this board would be saying that it’s Same Old Lions, Mariucci style, Harrington-hands-off-to-Jones play calling.

And, so they probably should have ran RPO with Fields. The fact that they didn’t, if you want to call that conservative, I will agree with you.

And I think we have some “ascending” players that might actually help as the playoffs gets closer.
Paschal, Campbell and JOK to name a few.

Barnes hit for 95% of the snaps and Campbell still got in 61%, so they were playing a lot of 4-3 yesterday with Barnes seemingly at SAM.

Anyhow, there’s still some tweaks and adjustments being made that give me just a little sliver of hope that they may still take another step.

1 Like

If I had to start this over I’d pick a word other than “conservative” because what really happened was that the Bears got away from what had been working. If they had run a flea flicker and a double reverse on first and second down that would have been aggressive but it also would have been different from what had been working to that point.

Whatever you want to call it, that’s on the Bears. That’s not the D stepping up and finally putting an end to what had been working for the Bears.