The Importance of Drafting a QB in 2023

Love Goff or hate Goff he is 28 in 2022 (Oct. Bday) and he is signed through 2024. Goff WILL be the starter for this team in 2023 regardless. Goff can be and is a very solid QB at times. When he has no weapons he looks terrible.

2023 represents the chance that we can do the QB situation the right way. Draft a top guy and let him sit just like Rodgers all those years ago. Set up the QB position for years and years to come. No need to overpay a 2nd string QB when we have a top rookie fighting for playing time.

I want to build a top defense in a BAD way. But no way I am passing up a really good QB at the top of the draft board in 2023. I think the increased competition in the QB room will pay off in a huge way in 2023.

PAST 2023, Goff is signed through 2024. We have option in 2024 (trade Goff) and even in 2025 we can tag Goff and trade him or hell, extend him if he becomes a winner here and we STILL have a young QB ready to step up and win NOW.

The opportunity cost of NOT drafting a top defender or top weapon is outweighed by the ongoing value of having a long term plan at QB.

To me this draft may end up having 5 or even 6 1st rd. QBs. I am drafting one with my first pick and I am not thinking twice about that. Goff…do your job and win games in 2023. Don’t look over your shoulder. Win. If we start losing and Goff isn’t playing well you have a guy to turn to if necessary.

i think this second tier of QBs might be long-term better than the top two player tier.

For my $ I would be most excited with a QB (Hooker and Levis are guys I really like) first and then a guy like CB Ringo for my $. In rd. 2 this looks like a DEEP DT draft and I am looking DT hard in rd. 2. RD. 3 is a LBer for me if the talent if there (that is a great LBer spot now).

If I can add a CB, DT and LBer to this defense that would make me VERY happy.

The Lions are sitting on some FA $ in 2023 and we have needs. No way am I letting RB Williams leave. Jameson Williams will be healthy and we are getting back a LOT of guys. I am locking down guard Jonah Jackson. No way he is leaving. We get Romeo Okwara back at some point. Tracy Walker is coming back. I am still draft a top QB early though. Then I am working on making this defense a thing to fear.

1 Like

Build the team… defense especially… worry about QB if you need to after you see Jamo and Amon on the field together. I do think there are some less than major needs on offense, but the defense has MAJOR needs… you HAVE TO address those MAJOR NEEDS! Goff is far from the worst of the Lions problems.

11 Likes

I hear you Rick. Goff is gone after 2024. If you don’t have a plan in place winning after that is tough. I also think Goff is an issue after 2023 if he isn’t extended.

Further, as much as I like Goff I don’t know that he is the answer. That is a problem. And I like Goff.

I think at some level competition is good for every position. I LOVE the idea of Goff winning and we have a young QB watching and ready. The QB position is that important.

If you say Goff is the man and the defense and offense need help I get that. Goff is 28 now and he turns 30 in 2024. With this investment QB will not be an issue for the next 7-10 years barring injury. I would much rather develop a young QB with an early draft pick and then let a 3 rd rd. LBer play.

Food for thought:

Last 5 QB’s drafted by our Detroit Lions

• 2001 - Mike McMahon
  • 2002 - Joey Harrington
  • 2005 - Dan Orlovsky
  • 2007 - Drew Stanton
  • 2009 - Matthew Stafford
3 Likes

I like this post. No, QBs don’t have to sit. But if you give a young guy time really great things might happen. I look at Drew Brees and P. Rivers and Favre with Rodgers.

I am NOT turning down a Parsons-type talent to key a QB sit and I am also not drafting a defender I like when a QB I love is maybe there.

I only like 1 QB in the first round of the 2023 draft. Outside of that later in the draft sounds like a good idea.

2 Likes

I agree. It will be interesting to see how the QBs rank once January-April come… but we will have a shot at someone I think… question is who is it?

If we go qb at some point that needs to be the qb of the future, no 4th-7th rd pick would boa gonna be a backup, we have that already.

That being said, if we are playing the long game… is the qb class of 24 better than 23 and if we really like a qb after next year do we go for it then?

I don’t know who’s gonna come out this year and the QBs for 24 (when the draft is in Detroit)

1 Like

Last QB drafted by Brad Holmes and John Dorsey

No data available

2 Likes

McMahon - Late round flier on tools with no brains.
Harrington - High first round ultra bust.
Orlovsky - Late round flier on career backup
Stanton - 2nd round bust
Stafford - 1st overall tools guy eventually developed into good starter.

2 Likes

And now whether I think it was a good pick or not based on the time it was made:

McMahon - yes, it was ok. We were swinging for the fences and a big whiff.
Harrington - just brutal. One of the worst picks in franchise history.
Orlovsky - yes, it was ok. He was a competent backup.
Stanton - bad pick. Never really showed any potential to be a starter.
Stafford - good pick. I wasn’t a fan at the time but it made sense to me later.

You forgot Kaaya and the dude from Michigan.

2 Likes

Jake Rudock

2 Likes

Just let the NFL Gods bless us with Bryce Young. The kid’s best talent…is his decision making. You’re drafting his brain…the athletic ability is just icing on the cake.

He will be the Chris Paul of the NFL. A pure point guard that you want the ball in his hands all game long, feeding his teammates.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I forget many things @Doctor_Love. It’s a well developed character trait at this point in my life.

So we’ve only really drafted 3 QBs with any intention of finding a starter since 2001.
Harrington
Stanton
Stafford
I don’t think that is often enough, especially considering 2 of them were busts.

4 Likes

To me, he’s in that Manning/Luck area where I’d be almost surprised if he isn’t elite in the league, and he probably hits the ground running. He’s a couple inches of height from being a perfect prospect, in my eyes.

But there’s nothing about this team’s level of suck(at this point) that suggests we’re going to be in contention. Maybe the rams can continue to defecate themselves for us. But that guy is going 1oa unless he’s getting happy endings, and we aren’t his destiny.

1 Like

Millen
Millen
Millen
Millen
Mayhew

Agree with the sentiment.
Goff can be frustrating at times but if the offense is healthy then he has more weapons and he is less of a factor.
Defense made some key plays today including the two high picks (Okudah and Hutch). Two young guys making a mark but they need more of these on defense. Another DE and DT would be huge for this team and certainly LB needs to be improved.
Maybe take a QB outside the first round and try to develop (Brady was a 6th round pick if I recall) but defense is still the biggest need for this team.

Good win today.
Team never gave up which is a good sign.

I think we found the guy who likes Bryce Young more than I do. I also think he’s going 1OA.

1 Like