The lame analysis of 49ers S Jimmy Ward

Not counting the snow game in Philly that year which was a bizarre game to watch, the Lions defense did its’ job down the stretch. Stafford didn’t–as alluded to in great detail in the comments below that one.

1 Like

To further illustrate your point…

the Lions had 3 or more turnovers in 7 of the last 9 games of the season… 26 TOs in the 9 games.
Stafford threw 13 INTs and lost 2 fumbles in those 9 games.

You just brought that play back to my consciousness.

That was so bizarre. A person couldn’t do that again if they tried.

That one definitely goes on the list of Lions Black Swan Events.

1 Like

I don’t mean it like that… heck any of these guys are free to say whatever is on their mind.

On the other hand… it may not be in the best interest of a 30 yo DB who has 2 career INTs in 7 seasons to talk smack about a division rival’s QB… regardless if he is right or not.

Side note… forner Lions DTs Dan Wilkinson (2001) and Haloti Ngata each recorded 2 INTs… in a single season. In fact… Ngata did it twice (2008 and 2014)!!!

Both Wilkinson and Ngata had 5 INTs in their careers.

Ward has an $11.5 million cap hit in 2022… and the 49ers can save $7.5 million by cutting him after 2021.

This might be his last season with the 49ers this year no matter what… but billboard material might not help Ward’s chances next offseason.

1 Like

We had at least 3 in that game. Pettigrew ducks a pass for a pick 6 and Calvin catches a ball inside the 5 on the game winning drive and hands it to the defender.

So, wasn’t Wards coach interested in obtaining Stafford for his team? He might want to talk to his own coach.
Was it Goff that took his team to the SB or did the team take Goff to the SB? I’m more inclined to believe the latter. There are several quarterbacks that could have went with that team. Stafford included.

He was probably high and thought the defense was the official.

I kid I kid!!!

So in my afternoon of listening to the local sports radio I heard Jim Rome’s hot take of the day which was basically supporting what Ward said and questioning how much Stafford will actually help the Rams.

Not supporting or rejecting it just found it funny a talking head is getting on the “anti-Stafford” wagon before it takes off. Just in case.

Training camp and the season need to start for goodness sake.

At some point you have to actually be the QB on a team that wins playoff games. Hell or even meaningful games. I’ll be honest i haven’t watched many of the Rams games but when they were on there way to a SB I remember watching Goff and thinking the dude was a stud. It’s easy to say a QB would be successful on another team but the fact is we won’t ever know. The only thing we know is that Goff has managed to be on a team that won multiple playoff games and went a SB in a relatively short career.

2 Likes

When I first heard he was coming here, I kinda said, “Ugh.” I just thought he was a meh QB. But upon introspection, I realized how much of that opinion was based on the perception of Goff that Les Snead and particularly Sean McVay cultivated. Which the lemming sports media of course took and ran with.

Goff won a playoff game in Seattle last year with screws in his ■■■■■■■ thumb.

Read that last sentence back.

Now, tell me again what Matthew Stafford’s signature win is – a regular-season game 12 years ago against the 1-9 Browns when the Lions were 2-8?

2 Likes

Ward… missing more games…