The Lions will not add a big name at trade deadline

What does this mean exactly?

I gotta say, I’m not understanding some of the negativity around here. I think some of you have lost sight of how incredible this turnaround Holmes has engineered is and continues to be. Maybe getting spoiled after last season that the Lions aren’t destroying everybody every week?

2 Likes

Exactly!
But it is too early for both the Lions and Bengals to consider.
Holmes will always give his current depth a chance to show whether they can handle the role before he makes a move.
Davenport was performing as desired.
Now Paschal and Levi will get a shot.
Hendrickson fits a lot of what Brad would want but it is far too early for the Bengals to consider trading him.
They start out most seasons poorly so they are not going to cash out this soon if at all.
It also depends on what Hendrickson expects in a contract.
If he expects a long term mega-deal it’s a non-starter on the trade. Hutch will get his money before ANY outside edge player.
If he is willing to do a deal like Davis and get his salary all converted to bonus for a lump sum payment before he becomes a free agent. Then he might get a modest short term Decker type deal (but in DE dollars) if he performs well.
There is plenty of time until the trade deadline which is the Tuesday after week 9 (Nov. 5).

Bro → No Politics in here!

Michael Scott Wink GIF

You are probably right. But getting Tee Higgins and Max Crosby would be funnn

2 Likes

It’'s not just picks, you have to pay Hendrickson also. We have to pay our guys, Hutch will set new market money next off season after DPOY.

3 Likes

That’s what some folks on here were saying about Matt Judon too, but now he’s playing in Atlanta without that new contract…as of yet anyway. And Judon is playing on the final year of his contract. Hendrickson’s contract goes through the 2025 season.

3 Likes

That’s pretty rare though. Usually when they’re holding out for a new contract, they won’t agree to go anywhere unless they’re paid. Sometimes even if they agree they’ll play out their contract, they won’t, like Hassan Redick. He’s the opposite of Judon.

2 Likes

Hendrickson threatened a hold out earlier this year over his salary. Maybe it’s situation like Judon but I doubt it. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Atlanta doesn’t address his contract this season. If we sign a high end defensive end I would expect to be redoing a contract as well imo.

The situation in New England got to the point where both sides just wanted to move on. Also, both side know that it is a rebuilding year in New England.
Judon will be a free agent at the end of the season so he will get the contract he earns by his play.
Falcons were willing to give up 3rd for what could be a rental.
Hendrickson has to live with what he feels is a bad contract for this year and next.
Bengals feel they are a Super Bowl contender and Hendrickson is on good terms with coaching staff, just not management.
Bengals want to keep him and have know incentive to trade him.
Also, if traded Hendrickson will still be unhappy without new contract.

1 Like

I don’t think Henderickson is a realistic option if you have watch Brad, he is looking for bargains on that side because you are going to pay Hutch. I think you will see draft picks and maybe mid tear type FAs or trying to hit on a player like Davenport. This year they will probably use a combination of what we have, Pascal , Wingo and levi, Houston could get some 3rd down reps in sertin situation. I look for some practice squad player getting some reps. But this will be in house I believe.

1 Like

Too many people living in a Madden world where things like salary cap and other teams interest don’t exist. It’s all about proposing a trade and it magically happens. Not a lot of reality

3 Likes

Hitting on a young stud edge rusher has to be the preferred way to go at this point. That’s the ideal scenario. Pay one while the other’s cheap. And if Hutch is still at the top of his game when it’s time to pay the new guy, trade the new guy instead or let him walk and do it again.

3 Likes

Yep I think you will see mild signings until then. I look for them to resign Davenport and draft DE high, I kinda like Scourton and JT from Ohio State. 2 guys I think would work well on that power end side opposite Hutch

Both those guys would be great fits with us but I think Scourton will go really high. Tuimoloau should be in our range, though of course it’s pretty early to tell with any certainty.

Others we will probably like: Landon Jackson out of Arkansas, LT Overton out of Alabama, Dani Dennis-Sutton out of Penn State, Shemar Stewart out of Texas A&M, Ashton Gillotte out of Louisville. I hope Kyle Kennard is on that list too but for now I think he’s a little small. Looks to have the frame to add plenty of weight though.

2 Likes

Even someone like Elijah Roberts in the mid rounds might do the trick. High end run defender who for a thumper had good pass rush production last year.

Good draft for us to add a base end. Paschal taking this opportunity and running with it would be of great assistance as we could wait a little bit for that Edge if the board fell a certain way.

4 Likes

I am kind of surprised this topic is so popular in September.

Don’t see us trading for someone that will cost both huge assets and huge dollars as it will undermine the message of growing and rewarding your own.

Would also argue that this has historically not happened in NFL. It’s really been last two years or so where they have adopted this strategy you see in other pro sports. At least I believe that to be the case. If wrong on that I hope someone will set me straight.

I hope the Lions don’t add any big names at the deadline. It rarely works out.

When it comes to “big names”, you’re usually paying a guy who is in the latter half of his career big money because of things he did in the past. Names become big over time and after a lot of accomplishments.

I think the Lions prefer finding players who are yet to become / still becoming “big names”.

When it comes to handing over big bags of money, those should always be handed to guys they drafted who panned out and became core members of the team.

So yeah, good…I hope the Lions don’t give up valuable resources for “big names” halfway through the season.

Personally, I think it’s a “Madden” mentality. We tend to think a team can just trade for a “92 overall” player, and he magically just shows up and is still a “92 overall”. That’s not how real life / football rosters work. Moving a dude across the country and uprooting his life in the middle of the season where he needs to learn a new playbook, get used to new teammates and coaches, and deal with the logistics of moving his family / being away from them is not a recipe for success imo.

The only way that seems logical to me is if you intend to sign the player to a long term deal and the acquisition is about more than just this season. The Bears trade for Sweat, for example, is more of the trade deadline acquisition that makes sense to me as opposed to the 49ers acquisition of Chase Young for that reason. The Lions don’t need to do this. That’s more of a strategy for teams that don’t draft well imo.

2 Likes

Pat MF’n Swilling

4 Likes

nicksplat rugrats GIF

1 Like

That’s my point! If you’re in rebuild mode then why trade for a player that is older and might not fit the timeline? This has nothing to do with fans being spoiled. It’s about where you are as a team imo.