The Malik Willis dilemma (see: Another Malik Willis thread)

So, Willis is comparable to some of the QBs coming out next year. Stroud and Young and Richardson all seem to headline that class, although if we’ve learned anything, that’s subject to change.

The problem is sites like Walter Football have an early run with all 3 of those players going in the top 5. They have Richardson to Detroit at No. 5.

Yet some of you are fairly convinced that Detroit will be decent enough next year to potentially fall just outside of the top 10. Maybe high single digits, but top 5 is unlikely (and frankly, shouldn’t be, if we’re to believe that this thing is actually being built the right way).

Complicating this further is that the majority of this forum is at the very least not sold on Goff—the common refrain is that we’re willing to give him '22 to hang himself before we move on. Detroit’s back-up quarterbacks leave a lot to be desired. Most wouldn’t crack a practice squad.

So when do we get a quarterback, especially one that—like some of those mentioned above—likely isn’t ready to start immediately, either? Do we jettison Goff if he shits the bed and start an unprepared rookie at QB in 2023? Nab a veteran free agent? Trade (GASP! NO!) picks to move up and get the QB we need if necessary? And if so, why would give up draft capital in '23 when we can just nab our quarterback now?

This is what makes Willis a compelling bet.

For the record, I still think Detroit goes edge at No. 2, especially if Hutch is around. But if they’re planning for the future, and if Campbell meant what he said about preferring mobile quarterbacks, then there could be a draft day surprise.

I’ll leave you with this, from FOX Sports

As noted in this post-Senior Bowl breakdown of all six participating quarterbacks, Thursday’s throwing contest required the QBs to lob the ball into a trash can from 30 yards away. Willis was the most accurate of the trio, with his last two (of three) passes rimming off. But winning it says something about Willis’ poise in the spotlight, especially considering that immediately before the quarterbacks threw, acting head coach Duce Staley instructed the American Team players to stand next to the passer they believed would win the competition. More than half of his teammates immediately shifted toward Willis, with the other half roughly mixed in choosing between Howell, a three-time All-ACC pick, and Zappe, who led the nation with a video game-like 62 touchdowns in 2021.

13 Likes

I never heard this. Good stuff there!

I am in the mind set that looking at the possibilities of not being in the position to draft their guy in 23, and if they truly feel that Jared is their guy, they will be drafting defense with that 2OA pick.

However I don’t believe that Jared is their man. They will NOT come out and say anything to the contrary either way for the obvious reasons. We will know soon enough where they really stand.

The thing that keeps me thinking they won’t take Willis, is that DC has gone on record stating that the 2OA will be immediate starter. I will trust Brad & company whatever their decision is.

2 Likes

I am gonna be hyped if Brad feels like Wilis is the guy. Brad feeling that way is very different than me feeling that way. I would be thinking…“we just took a massive step towrard the SB” if Brad felt that way about him.

5 Likes

1 Like

4-5 QBs they say?

What if the Lions are drafting around #8-12 and the top 4-5 QBs are long gone to teams like Falcons, Panthers, Seahawks, Giants, Eagles, Comrades, Dolphins, Titans, or Texans???

2 Likes

Really what this comes down to is your evaluation of the player. I don’t think Willis will ever be more than an average starter at best, so obviously it’s not a bet I would make. All that other stuff is essentially irrelevant if the option in front of you isn’t the right one. You can’t buy egg nog if there’s no egg nog at the store.

4 Likes

Absolutely. Brad will do the right thing, either way.

1 Like

Waste a pick this year, or trade a pick next year for the right guy.
Same number of wasted picks. The only difference is the talent.

1 Like

You can’t always trade up for a QB. The Dolphins tried giving an insane ransom for Joe Burrow, but guess what happened…

Brad Holmes said himself in his press conference that the 2023 class does not impact decisions being made this year because how things can change.

3 Likes

The competition MW played against keeps me from using #2OA on him.

1 Like

Next year will cost more than “a pick” to move up to get Stroud. The Bama guy is not big enough, gonna be hurt a ton at 5’10", 180lbs. We are not going to be the worst team in the NFL next year, it will cost a kings ranson to get Stroud from whomever has the position to draft him. No one will know until Thursday, that let the cards play out after that. Drafting a QB in the first round is always a gamble. Less than 50% of first round QBs have 1 year where they throw for 4,000 yards or more than 24 touchdowns. You have to just do your due diligence, hopefully well, which I trust Holmes and Brad, and take a chance until you hit on one. Time will tell.

#1 - If the Eagles, Giants, Seahawks, Dolphins, or Texans have the top picks…. a trade may not be available for any price.

#2 - If the Eagles, Dolphins, Seahawks, or Texans don’t have the top pick… they also have an extra 1st round pick and may have more “draft capital” than the Lions to make rhe move up.

#3 - the guy available to draft… might be like Willis… and then a 2-year development would make 2025 the 1st year the Lions are truly competitive.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2023.php

2 Likes

Think Josh Allen GIF by Buffalo Bills

3 Likes

They can get Matt Corral later. He has a nice arm and can run if needed.

He had 195 yards rushing again Tenn.

Matt Corral Game by Game Stats and Performance | ESPN

He’s got grit written all over him.

1 Like

There is chatter that Corral won’t make it pick #32. I don’t want him if he does… so I am hoping the talk is legit!!!

1 Like

Well then that would push the best non-QB talent down Would be like a top five pick for the rest of the field

1 Like

Great. So we get our QB this year and an awesome defender next year. Love that idea.

5 Likes

Like this guy?

4 Likes

or….we can stop obsessing over the QB position and build the team for a minute. Take the best talent when we pick. It’s not Willis this year at 2 and it might not be there next year

I’d be happy to get an awesome defender this year and an awesome defender next year

5 Likes

sometimes you can though. The Chiefs traded from 27 to 10 giving up a third and the next years first to draft Mahomes. And Watson was still on the board too

1 Like