The Malik Willis dilemma (see: Another Malik Willis thread)

I think next years draft for QB’s is probably going to be the best ever. There is incredible talent. Here’s a start.

And once again, my guy Brennan Armstrong, didn’t make the list.

1 Like

The Detroit Lions plan has never worked. It literally has a 0% success rate.

1 Like

It has worked 100% of the time for the Rams…

3 Likes

will ferrell anchorman GIF

2 Likes

Many teams can’t say that! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Maybe the team is the city. It was majestic in the 50’s. Tumultuous in the 60’s. Was breaking apart in the 70’s. Lost its identity in the 80’s, started to repair itself in the 90’s. Progressed in the 00’s resurgent in the 10’s and now primed to be great.

As a business owner who left Michigan in 99’ and who considered moving to Detroit in 08’ to start my brewery when the city was giving away real estate to entrepreneurs, I now wish I had done that. Yes Portland is still beautiful but my rent is astronomical and the city is drowning in a lot of ways.

Plus I’d be closer to the Lions

1 Like

If the teams can’t trade for good players like the Rams… would they actually draft better players with them picks???

sarcastic make sense GIF

2 Likes

Sometimes yes. Sometimes no. You can’t do this (as you know) across the board with every player. (for salary cap reasons)

It’s always a gamble in either direction. It’s just like the Deebo issue right now. But I am sure you didn’t need me to tell you this. lol

So the last 2 SBs were won by older pocket passers on new teams….

A guy traded up to #10 overall- but still a guy from power 5 with 5000 yards and 40 plus tds at 6’3” 230- won it the prior year…

Stafford- trade
Brady- free agent
Mahomes-traded up to #10 on ready made contender
Brady
Foles- journeyman backup
Brady-
P Manning- old pocket passer FA on contender
Brady
R Wilson- 3rd round surprise on team width good defender and M Lynch
Flacco- late 1st- ready made contender
Eli- HOLY SHIT A TOP 5 pick!!!
A Rodgers-late late 1st
D Brees- veteran pocket passer FA

So to be clear-

• 5 guys via free agency or trade have won SBs
  • 3 guys drafted #10-24 have won SBs
  • 1 guy drafted 3rd round
  • 3 NE SBs by Brady…

-1 SB in 13 years won by a top #9 overall pick. Go back another 12 years and that goes to #3 by adding P Manning with Colts and Eli

Let’s just keep ignoring what doesn’t work because we want a QB really bad.

1 Like

“stop obsessing over building the team and build the team for a minute.”
…just sayin’. :wink:

3 Likes

One player does not a team make. If having a franchise QB was the formula to follow, then why have we sucked for the last 12 years?

Take the best talent on the board. It’s not Willis at 2

1 Like

LOTS!
…just not for Detroit :frowning:

This has nothing to do with the statement I made.

That’s what you said.
I’ll completely believe it if that’s what Brad says.
When you say it, I just see another guy like me sitting in the kitchen with a different opinion than me.

Well I’m not sitting in the kitchen. Im on the front steps with coffee. I’m also not going to automatically believe in whatever Brad does. If Brad drafts Willis at 2, I’m going to still consider it a mistake and hope that I’m wrong

I mean, if one believe in everything Brad does, then it should be noted that Brad was a voice pushing for the Rams to trade up for Goff and the guy who traded to bring him here

3 Likes

That’s not fair at all- there are literally zero big boards anywhere that have Willis in the top 10…

The 49ers offered 3 picks to moved from 12 to #3, knowing it was for their pick of QBs…

I bet Brad would take #9, #40 and next years 1st from Seattle right NOW!!!

The fact that we’ve bellyached over there not being elite talent at #2 kid of tells the story.

You guys think Willis is ELITE because one small school kid with dodgy stats made a successful transition. One.

So the logic is that trading up next year will be impossible because all the QB hungry teams will refuse to move down? Bidding wars to trade up for Young or Stroud???

Yet there are 2 teams sitting at #1 or #2. That nobody is offering to trade up to? So if nobody has Willis high on any board, nobody is offering the moon to trade up……

Doesn’t that tell you guys soemthing?

3 Likes

Stafford- too handsome to compare to “normal QBs”
Brady-sat behind Bledsoe
Mahomes-sat behind hill
Brady-Sat behind Bledsoe
Foles-sat behind everyone
Brady-Sat behind Bledsoe
P Manning-Started immediately
Brady- sat behind Bledsoe
R Wilson-started immediately
Flacco- started immediately
Eli- started immediately
A Rodgers-sat behind Favre for years
D Brees- Started immediately

See! there are lots of ways to do this!

2 Likes

This-

1 Like

Great idea. I’m gonna have a coffee with you, brother.
You’re right about Brad too. 100% of GM’s miss on some. I just know he’ll have a much higher batting percentage than I would. I’m hoping Levi works out.

1 Like

What doesn’t work?

Last 10 Super Bowls starting QBs:

LVI: Stafford, No. 1 overall pick. Burrow, No. 1 overall pick
LV: Brady, Unicorn. Mahomes, No. 10 overall pick
LIV: Mahomes, No. 10 overall pick, Garoppolo, Second round pick (and now replaced with No. 3 overall pick)
LIII: Brady, Unicorn. Jared Goff, No. 1 overall pick
LII: Foles, Third round. Brady, Unicorn.
LI: Brady, Unicorn. Matt Ryan, No. 3 overall pick.
50: Manning, No. 1 overall pick. Cam Newton, No. 1 overall pick
XLIX: Brady, Unicorn. Russ Wilson, Third Round.
XLVIII: Russ Wilson, Third round. Peyton Manning, No. 1 overall pick
XLVII: Flacco, No. 18 overall pick. Kaepernick, Second round pick

The last 10 Super Bowls have featured 9 QBs selected in the top 10. 6 went No. 1 overall. 10 of 11 if you want to add Eli Manning. Half if you want to include Flacco at no. 18. And I don’t give a single solitary shit about whether or not it was the team they were originally drafted by (but if you want to play the game, the majority were with their original team). Brady is the goal. He’s a unicorn. He’s not going to happen again.

Moral of the story? Investing a high draft pick pays off if you’re building your club the right way. Is it a risk? Yes. EVERY PICK YOU MAKE IS A RISK. You know what’s also a risk? Not investing in the most important position on the field.

Instead of focusing on the past, here’s the present. Each playoff team in 2021 with their QB:
Stafford: Pick 1
Burrow: Pick 1
Murray: Pick 1
Allen: Pick 7
Tannehill: Pick 8
Mahomes: Pick 10
Jones: Pick 15
Rodgers: Pick 23
Garappolo: Second round
Hurts: Second round
Carr: Second round
Prescott: Fourth round
Brady: Fifth round

I’d argue the 4 QBs with the best shot at being in the next few Super Bowl would be: Stafford, Allen, Mahomes, Burrow. All top 10 picks.

4 Likes

if he gets picked in the top 10 picks, we’ll know that’s not true.

I’d love that.

True! The more I read adn watch hi lights, the less I believe it though.
Hutch, Thibz, Willis, Howell, Strong, Jordan Davis, all have a chance to be awesome, IMO.

…or they think they can get him later. I SUSPECT you are right. I hope you are not. I like Willis.