The more I think about our 1st pick

Agreed, if you get to come home from work covered in glitter…you got a good job!

2 Likes

There’s only so many positions to draft. Drafting a bunch of WR’s in the first round was a long time ago. Drafting playmakers is un-Lion like in recent history, we need some, go get them no matter what position.

That would apply to any position the Lions pick

So you think we should take TE Kyle Pitts then?

bazinga GIF

2 Likes

This could be interesting discussion.

Normally… there will be dozens of posts about Super Bowl teams not having elite WRs on big money deals. This year broke that mold… as Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, and Tyreke Hill had ~$16 million cap hits in 2020.

Then add the TEs… Gronk at $9.25 million and Kelce at ~$13 million.

For many years… the argument was that “elite” WRs were not needed because Super Bowl teams rarely had them. This is a trend that seems to be changing.
In the last 6 Super Bowls, at least 1 team had a WR with a cap hit of >$15 million in that season every year except 2018… BUT the Rams did have Brandin Cooks on his 5th year option (plus gave up a 1st rounder to get him that year). And… he also got a 5 year, $81 million extension beyond that year.

Prior to those years, Jordy Nelson, Colston, Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitz, Moss, and Marvin Harrison all made it Super Bowls as top WRs.

I’ll admit it… I kind of downplayed the importance of having an elite WR to make a great team, but I think Brady’s ability to make it work in New England might have clouded that thought.

3 Likes

If we do that I’m simply going to lurk here, with a bag of popcorn, and witness the meltdown of this forum.

The Lions are already doing a hell of a job with smoke screens for the draft! Talking about being thin at tackle is brilliant. Talking about a rookie QB sitting and so on. I love it!

To me the Lions HAVE to sign a free agent WR. That could be Kenny (expensive) or Josh Reynold (affordable) and everywhere in between but we NEED one. Josh should likely be seen as a #2 WR that we know. Kenny is a #1. Depends on how the Lions want to spend $ and enter the draft.

I sign Josh Reynolds and I target drafting a WR in rd. 2 as this is looking like a great WR class again and with so many WRs picked in 2020 there should be nice WR value out there (https://www.theringer.com/2020/12/4/22151661/2021-wide-receiver-class-nfl-draft). If we have Cephus, Josh Reynolds, a 2nd rd. rookie like Rondale Moore and a veteran that would be a fine balance of skills as well as contracts.

I am not drafting a tackle this year that high. I am just not doing that. That leaves LBer (Parsons) V. a WR (not a preferred option) V. likely 2nd tackle V. DE. It is hard to NOT take Parsons with all that in mind as Parson’s likely affect on the defense is HUGE.

1 Like

If thats how Dan wants to proceed I will give him the benefit of the doubt. But Pitts will not be the best player on the board when we pick so I will be skeptical at the same time.

Pitts will need to be able to block and play special teams if Dan’s vision of backup TEs is followed thru on.

I’ll be upset with Pitts at 7. I’m fine with Pitts after a trade down if the big three at WR are all off the board.

Wait, who is she?!

This is why I am somewhat unsure about Parsons at 7. He looks a hell of a prospect in a position where we have a very obvious need but it is really the best use of the 7th overall pick?

Same with Pitts who looks a hell of a prospect but surely that capital should be used to take a QB or WR if there is one of the highly touted ones is available.

1 Like

Bro - @Weaselpuppy is the one w/the scouting reports. What are you asking me for?
:wink:

1 Like

@MyLions I’m not sure they’ve gotten to the smoke screen stage yet but I could be wrong.

We are thin at tackle, I think it’s the weakest point on our OL and Anthony was asked by a reporter if he liked to sit a rookie QB or start. I don’t see a smoke screen here just honesty.

I won’t be shocked if the Lions go OT in the first 2 rounds. Based off what Anthony Lynn said I got the feeling that he viewed Vaitai as an OG and Crosby as a back up… so we’re going to be looking for a starting RT or at the very least someone to compete.

I honestly think that there’s some decent OT’s in the draft but past round 3 there’s not as many projects as normal. So I think if we want an OT we should be looking in the first 3 rounds.

That’s how I see it anyway.

1 Like

I’d start losing faith if we took another top 10 TE.

Just shoot me please!

1 Like

This guy is even further from being a “TE” than Ebron was. He’s the poster boy for “big WR” who carries a TE label and gets lined up at the end of the line just to trick stupid defenses.

1 Like

While I agree he’s a better receiver than Ebron is. He is still a receiving TE in my book and I’m not into taking TE’s in early round one. Even if we were going to a heavy two TE set I’d still be against it.

However I see a Darren Waller type of player with Pitts. He has that kind of ceiling.

I’d rather have WR’s Smith and Chase though.

I don’t see a TE at all. That makes him “only” a big WR in my eyes, and there is no way in hell that I rate him that high as a WR. We arrive at the same place, but get there slightly different.

2 Likes

No volunteers, bro! That has to be a good sign! :wink:

2 Likes

Jeremiah has Pitts as a top 3 talent in this draft:

Lawrence
Chase
Pitts
Wilson
Farley

Half messing with you, a long way till the draft. I don’t see it FWIW. Not top 3.

I completely get what you are saying too, man. I love the fun picks. I think I might like Devonta Smith if I’m taking a fun pick. Put him at the Z and find an vet X. Lots of fun slots in this year’s draft too.

Honestly, Caleb Farley looks pretty good if you ask me. But I don’t know if I’m allowed to talk CB on this thread :joy:

Here’s an article that was released on “the worst draft mistake of all 32 teams.” Any fan of any team could obviously disagree because its all subjective. I appreciate that they went different directions and not just specific picks with each team. Ours is something we have complained about and what this thread was based on.

" DETROIT LIONS: POSITIONAL VALUE

The Lions’ insistence on drafting low-impact positions highly was simply never going to pan out great. They used their nine top-50 picks on two running backs, two linebackers, one center, one tight end, one nose tackle, one offensive tackle and one cornerback. In a league where passing the ball and stopping the pass has led to wins more than anything else the past five years, the Lions chose a different path."

3 Likes