The NFL's suspension of Jameson Williams for sports betting looks increasingly unreasonable

6 Likes

Jamo probably deserves 1 or 2 games. That’s plenty for a guy who wasn’t betting on nfl games. Now dudes like Moore, Cephus and this new Colts players betting on NFL games, should get lifetime bans or at least 1 or 2 seasons depending on how many bets they actually placed.

8 Likes

If more and more of this comes to light and it’s more of a league wide problem than expected, the consequences have to be the same for everyone if they find out CeeDee Lamb did the same thing as Jamo, would be get the same punishment? Maybe that changes next offseason, but anybody getting suspended this off-season, the consequences should be the same. Otherwise, they better reduce Jamo’s suspension.

8 Likes

For me it would depend on when the bets were placed. For a guy like Cephus did he place the bets when he was on IR and not active with the team? If he’s not participating in games I’d say a year is fair.

I think the jamo suspension is a bit harsh for such a gray area infraction. 1-2 games feels more appropriate for a first time offense.

7 Likes

One of the Detroit sports writers said he’s seen it posted in Detroit’s locker room that gambling isn’t allowed.

That being said, wouldn’t it be normal for a player (or NFLPA rep) to appeal the suspension in effort to get a lesser sentence ??

4 Likes

Not sure why but I heard you can’t appeal this type of suspension. Again not sure why though?

1 Like

Yea, and a huge difference in betting on other nfl games that the Lions are not playing in. I still wonder about that. No info ever came out, other than Cephus and Moore were betting on nfl games. Were they Lions games? Were they betting the Lions to win? To lose? Cover the spread?

Those details should be important to deciding the severity of consequences. If they were betting on games they were playing in, that’s gotta be pretty close to lifetime man material.

3 Likes

They were suspended for betting from team property. It’s a stupid rule, but, one that they are contractually obligated to abide by.
It’s cute when the NFL uses sports betting as a way to fix games.

2 Likes

Does the rule say 6 games. It’s not about appealing the suspension. It’s about getting it lessened.

There is an article in The Athletic behind a paywall that alludes to anonymous veteran NFL players saying something like it “could have happened to any one of us” or some such.

So, gambling by players is widespread and because a particular sports book ratted out Detroit players the Lions get the shaft.

Free Jamo. Eff the shield.

1 Like

you know what is going to happen, right? After Jamo serves the full 6 games another prominent player from one of our upcoming opponents will get caught doing the same thing 3 games b4 they are scheduled to play the Lions. Said player will get a 2 game suspension and be eligible just in time for the Lions game. The league finally decides that the punishment for betting on college games is a little too severe

5 Likes

I’m sure the league will apologize, so…

6 Likes

No Doubt Yes GIF by Yiannimize

4 Likes

Yes …, it’s clearly written in the team locker room and anyone with half a brain shouldn’t have to be told.

I may have an actual picture somewhere. I’ll try to dig it up.

3 Likes

Sitting in your car in the parking lot placing a bet …if that’s the story we got ok.

If that’s the truth of the matter, then that is ridiculous to suspend a guy for that for more than 1 -2 games.

5 Likes

One would think…

3 Likes

Yep, it was stated in the original thread about this. It is “apparently” an offense/punishment that cannot be appealed.

Not sure if the actual policy verbiage was ever posted or if it was just someone in the know stating that.

Can you respond without caps also your wrong not sure you even read the article.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/website/Departments/Player-Affairs/Gambling-Policy.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi8hqWfqq3_AhWgkIkEHdD5A28QFnoECA0QBg&usg=AOvVaw312fvSozvDeWauMKhYF6MZ

Just in case. Now can we please shoot the next person to ask why he isnt appealing?