The Rams draft pick

Hunh.

Seems to me that if you have any faith in the Lions’ braintrust - and Holmes, in particular, has certainly earned my trust - there is no scenario under which it’s better for the Lions to get a lower draft pick than a higher one.

3 Likes

Even if Carter and Anderson are gone picking high is still important because it provides options.

Trading back for more picks, drafting a top OL and cutting big V to free up free agent money. Selecting the top WR if Chark is offered a huge contract somewhere, drafting the top RB. The higher we pick the more options we have and the greater those options will be. I like the flexibility that having a top 5 pick brings.

I think pick 4 is where the value is going to be as far as trades go. Texans take Young, CJ or Levis, then Carter and Anderson go and then QB needy teams will look to move up IMO. I don’t see a CB worth a top 5 pick this year however we can always trade up with our 2nd first rounder if there is a difference maker we want in the mid rounds.

2 Likes

Bears will trade up and snag a QB. LOL

2 Likes

Nah, I predicted it would be 4-5 years before they moved on from Fields.

2 Likes

Fields is a great RB!

3 Likes

Agreed……Von Miller for that matter too. I will never understand how a game-changer is not a fit for any team

1 Like

This.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with over drafting a CB at 3OA?

2 Likes

i see what you did there bill hader GIF

Again?

1 Like

Well that would be because a game-changer is a fit for every team. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Think of Micah Parsons. same build features. Both 6’2" to 6’4" and 245. quick bendy good tackler. Micah wasn’t a good fit. People said to small to be a D end and too big for a outside LB. until people watched him play in Dallas. As people here have posted he is a game changer.

I’ll be overjoyed with either him or Carter in this rotation. just let it happen.

4 Likes

100%

The problem with this is you are replacing very good players. I realize an upgrade is an upgrade but I would rather see a Bonita, Hughes, AO player replaced with our top draft picks versus houston, Okwara, etc. Hopefully the draft falls in our favor.

2 Likes

Think of it in baseball terms. You have a great lineup then you add a fantastic clean-up hitter. 4 becomes 5. 5 becomes 6 and so on. EVERYONE gets better. can’t walk the #3 cause 4 is a stud can’t pitch around 4 cause 5 is a great hitter. Just make it hard to scheme around.

in Football 5 OL blocking 4 DL. Easy to double team one DL. How do you double team 2? TE or RB have to stay in which is 1 less receiver running a route. Now picture Hutch, McNeil, Carter Houston (whoever). You need to double 3 of them. OL not getting to second level in the run game either. Your LBs are better on running plays. your DBs don’t have to cover long on passing plays. The whole defense gets better simply by adding 1 stud to the DL.

3 Likes

I get it but if I can replace batter number 8 with the number 2 that is much better than replacing batter number 3 or 4 with the number 2. Both scenarios are a positive but effect is much larger when you replace position 8 vs. 3 or 4. We have good players at the DE spot. We have average to below average players at DT and CB. So everything being equal I would go DT or CB before DE. Just my opinion of course and a lot of depends totally on what the prospective player brings to the table.

1 Like

This isn’t baseball it’s football. And drafting a guy high to replace a guy that is already pretty good starter, while leaving holes with players that are not starting quality, will probably help your team less. Romeo, Hutch, Comish Houston and little Okey. Is pretty good. Adding Anderson is kinda over kill, and probably at the expense of another position of need. But it’s cool you don’t have to agree. I think they they pass on Anderson, but really don’t think it will be relevant, because Carter and Anderson will be off the board before we pick.

2 Likes

Last year at this time almost no one wanted to replace AO, despite a few of us pointing out how his underlying metrics weren’t great. Things change quickly in the NFL. What if next year at this point Paschal’s hurt, James Houston’s in a sophomore slump, and we’ve moved on from Harris, Bryant and the Okwara Bros (Romeo for salary cap purposes)? Everyone would be crying about how we need an edge desperately.

Our “needs” should really be called our “needs right now”, and it’s a really, really small sample size.

6 Likes

I had this discussion with many on the board. Last year, hardly any one seemed to think we needed DB help. You and are were definitely the exception. A year later everyone has come around.

To be honest our secondary is better than I thought it would be. I wasn’t expecting much from Okudah at all.

We really need some help at outside corner, S and NB.

6 Likes

Yeah I remember us being in lockstep on it. And actually it’s not awful they waited since this draft is a lot better one for drafting secondary pieces than last year’s was. It wouldn’t surprise me to see us add 3 or even 4 pieces back there.

1 Like