The Rams draft pick

I would rather risk over drafting a quality player than dropping down and hoping my guy is there or giving up a potential trade for more draft capital. Picking a good player too high is not the end of the world.

3 Likes

Well, Austin Bryant and possibly Charles Harris will be gone in 2023, so there’s room for a robust rotation on the D Line.

2 Likes

Good point. If you were to draft a kicker in the 1st round (not that I’m advocating that) and they became a HoF kicker, no one would question the pick.

1 Like

That could work. Once we know the actual draft order, it’ll be easier to understand motivations for trading with us, to say nothing of the flood of player information we’ll have. Turd quotients will be known too and we don’t draft turds.

is so…

youare GIF

1 Like

Great point on job security. Everybody in Denver could be sacked. They should all be fighting for their lives. It’s been that big a train wreck. McVay and Co. in LA are untouchable for the foreseeable. Carter and a top flight CB (along with the emergence of Jamo and maturation of that youngest roster in the league) could vault us into NFC elite status. A HUGE game at SoFi to say the least. (Still hard to believe Baker’s miracle placed us on this precipice). To get Anderson or Carter would be grand slams for the Lions. The drop off after those two looks considerable.

Just based on what BH/MCDC have said about building from the inside/out, I wouldn’t be surprised if the first three picks are spent on DT, OG and LB. Then take a CB/DE with the fourth & fifth pick. The final three picks could then be taking a flier on QB, RB and maybe another DT or CB/S. In 2024, the picks would focus on QB, RB, CB, S and late round WR.

Of course, I’m just talking out-of-my-ass and giving my completely uninformed opinion. Additionally, this is subject to change based on BPA at the pick and my lack of scouting ability and knowledge.

2 Likes

The hell we wouldn’t. :slight_smile:

1 Like

An interesting Transfer

NC State QB Devin Leary is transferring to Kentucky

1 Like

I can only imagine the reaction if this board was around in 1992 when Wayne and Chuck Schmidt drafted a kicker with our 2nd Rd pick (#56 OA).

2 Likes

That said, RBs (same with Safeties and Linebackers) are far less expensive in FA than other position groups. Maybe grab a RB in FA and an extra CB (high cost FAs) in the draft. This year’s crop of FA RBs and project market value: Hunt (6M), Damien Harris (7M), Montgomery (10), Barkley (11M), Sanders (7M), Jacobs (12M).

In support of taking a RB in the 1st, premier RBs rarely hit the market, we’ll see if the NYG have the money to sign Saquon or LV Jacobs.

Projected market value of 2023 Free Agents:

1 Like

I hate to say this because I really like Jacobs, but I would rather see us draft a high end RB and save the cap.

6 Likes

Projected contract for #22 pick in first round is roughly 4yrs/$15M or $3.75 M/yr. Signing Miles Sanders or Kareem Hunt would cost 6M/yr. Not debating, just adding insight.

2 Likes

I really am not interested in signing a FA RB. With the draft capital we have. I am sure the money can be spent on areas of need where the wear and tear on the body and staying healthy isn’t as much of an issue.

We might not be able to get Robinson or Gibbs (although I would love to see Gibbs in Detroit). But we do have 2 2nds where we could easily take a young explosive RB.

2 Likes

NO on some 5’11" QB. Hell. He won’t be able to see over the OL.

Brees was 6’0. Young is highly intelligent. He is the one QB I don’t see Holmes passing on. Besides, If Goff got hurt, would our offense take a noise dive??

4 Likes

Not if we could get David Blough back. Should have asked for him to be included in the Hockenson trade.

Austin Mock of The Athletic uses a gazillion data points to project where teams in the top 10 will most likely be drafting. As of today he projects the Rams pick at #3OA. I hope, I hope…

2 Likes

Are Shane Stant and Jeff Gillooly available for part time work in the bowels of SoFi Stadium prior to this Sunday’s Rams Broncos tilt? If so, I heard Baker Mayfield is a huge fan and would love to meet briefly.

2 Likes

We need what you posted as well. I was just focusing on next year.

1 Like