The Rams Pick Will Be #23

Great topic gents. Does anyone know where the Lions would pick if the Rams win tonight but then lost in the Divisional Round?

It’s hard enough being a Lions fan but adding this internal Stafford element is too much :joy:.

I don’t necessarily agree with the national media narrative that Stafford doesn’t show up in big games. He went toe to toe with Brees in N.O., was robbed in Dallas, and was playing on a bad finger in Seattle.

Getting the playoff monkey off his back would be nice for him, but not as nice for the Lions.

Last feeling I have on this, would we REALLY be happy if Stafford won a Super Bowl in his 1st season away from Detroit? That would probably be a gut punch too strong for me to take regardless of the draft positioning.

Should be a good game tonight.

Rooting for the Rams, by a shred. I’m a Stafford stan and my fanduel account has a few parlays contingent upon a Rams W. I think the Rams pull it off. They have a few more pieces on both sides of the ball imo, and Cards struggled a bit down the stretch.

But if the Rams lose, we get a much better pick, so there’s that. I also like the Cards, and was pretty high on them going into the season, so much so that I made Kyler my QB1, grabbed Edmonds as RB depth, and Prater as my K. I may have put a buck or two on Cards/Bills (+11000) and Rams/Bills SB matchups before the season started too–so really I’m pulling for the winner of this game to take the NFC.

1 Like

That is pretty much how I feel. If the Rams do win, I just want it to be by 4 points or less.

I see it the same way. There’s some definite win/win in it for me too. I have a on of faith in Holmes, no matter which pick we get from Ramtown.

I had a post awhile back where I talked about how there are 2 parts of me that root as a fan. I used the example of “what if GB had to win, to help the Lions?” Intellectually, I am gonna root for whatever helps the lions most. Me being me, and operating in my nature (what I’m calling my primal fan), roots for GB to lose as soon as that ball is kicked off, no matter what does/doesn’t help the Lions.

There will be levels of gray area to that too. If GB wins, we get better playoff seeding…■■■■ GB 95%
…Where if GB wins, we get into the playoffs…■■■■ GB may only be 30%, with biting my tongue through rooting for them

Primal fan wants Stafford to win 90%
-Primal fan sees a good man that’s done his best and been largely under appreciated.
-Primal fan sees people “■■■■ everyone that doesn’t help Lions…your not a fan…etc…etc.” I call COMPLETE bullshit on that. What if your son played for a different team in the exact same scenario? “well…that’s different.” Yes! That is different. It’s the same principle to a much greater extent. I don’t root for Matt as much as I would if I had an NFL son, but I do root for him approximately the level if it was an old college buddy.

Intellectual fan in me wants the better draft position 10%
-I believe in Brad
-I don’t think it’s a MASSIVE difference, though I concede even one spot could potentially make a difference
-Always, always, always, Lions first

1 Like

I’m going to take this CBS Sports mock draft and look at who the Lions would be missing out on if the Rams win the Superbowl (like many are wishing for) vs losing today.

1. Chris Olave WR OSU
  2. Trent McDuffie DB Washington
  3. Jordan Davis DL Georgia
  4. Darian Kinnard T Kentucky
  5. Ahmad Gardner CB Cincinnati
  6. Treylon Burks WR Arkansas
  7. Derion Kendrick CB Georgia
  8. Daxton Hill DB Michigan
  9. Logan Hall DL Houston
2 Likes

Yeah but *BEanZ dONt MATT-er AnD R fOR LoOserS!!1!

LOL - Nicely done!

2 Likes

Yes but 23 sounds better than 28 or lower no matter how you slice it and will make for a more fun prospect discussion point for the next several months so the Rams losing tonight is better for the Lions.

I don’t think you understand the concept of ‘beanz.’

There’s a reason we call them beans.

You’re literally not understanding the joke.

Yes, because mock drafts in January are accurate.

Yes, because a player’s success in college is guarantor of their success in the league.

What if I told you the Lions are more than a late-first round pick away from being competitive?

MAJEK BEEEEENZ!!!

We thought we were taking Gregory Rousseau this time last year.

Great discussion here.

I’ve always been a “Stafford” guy but apart from the draft positioning I would feel pretty damn pissed if he won the Rams a damn SB in 1 year after not taking care of that for us in 12 years.

Call it my selfish Lions side :joy:

Yeah, it’s a joke poking fun at fans who want a rebuilding team to have better draft picks which is confusing to me.

1 Like

So is it the suggestion that the ‘magic bean’ between 25 and 32 is going to determine whether not Detroit’s rebuild is more or less successful?

It’s a late first-round pick, which is generally a crapshoot, on a team that won 3 games and is devoid of talent at major positions on both sides of the ball.

Everyone needs to settle down.

Maybe we need more faith in Brad and Dan that their success doesn’t hinge on a mock draft posted in January.

23 and 32. 9 positions in the first round. The names were used just to provide an idea of the kind of talent that would no longer be available. I think its significant. Hopefully we don’t have one of those GMs were it doesn’t matter at all. Like the kind of idiot that would take Ikaika Alama-Francis in the 2nd round. Cause if we do, we’re already f-ed.

Misunderstood this post the first time, just wanted to add that I think it’s more than that. It’s the silly assumption that a draft pick—or more draft picks—will always ‘magically’ result in success for the player chosen/organization. That’s where I was going with the ‘25-32’ thing. I think that exemplifies the problem with magic beans-thinking.

In fact, it’s particularly troubling that Lions fans would think this way.

Magic beans = FOMO.

Honestly, I don’t think it’s that complicated. Fans would rather have a higher pick than a lower one, that’s all.
Pick 23 is better than 28 or lower. It’s not going to make or break the rebuild but fans wanting a higher pick for their team shouldn’t be surprising or “troubling”.

1 Like

I don’t find it troubling or surprising in the least. At one point, some of us were wearing ‘Got Mooch?’ t-shirts, so no one here should judge.

Do I find it a bit silly? Sure.

I think sometimes we all talk past one another, because it seems that some here are both surprised and troubled that a few of us wouldn’t mind seeing Matt win a Super Bowl, and aren’t as concerned about a few draft slots.

It is significant. In early May, we’ll see how it actually plays out. Of course, it’s important that your GM and surrounding cast have a special skill in milking talent and value from the draft. But I want to make it easy on Brad and have him choose closer to the top where rare talent is more often found. There’s a reason more time is allotted in the first round than in later rounds.

2 Likes