The Stafford trade that almost happened from the Panthers perspective

What does that mean?

So a Rams player dropped an easy TD

A Rams player tried to throw a horrible interception

What is the relevance?

If your basketball team shoot 12-20 from the line, but in the last second the Star player misses a dunk as time expires, the missed free throws down change that making a dunk wins the game.

If Stafford throws that god awful pick and the media trades him, good luck throwing your WR under the bud for the pass he dropped?

As i have said and many have said in this forum and elsewhere, it is a silly game to play. If you want to say that “If that int is caught then the Niners win” then the same can be said about had Skowronek not dropped a td in his hands, the Game never would have been 1 score. Also it is assuming a lot that the niners would have turned that int into points. Did you see how well the Niners offense did in the 4th qt?

it is a dumb point, so don’t make it.

1 Like

No it’s not the same. Everyone is giving Stafford credit for taking the Rams to the SB, not Skowronek.

Aaron Rodgers has lot of dropped passes. He rarely throws it to the other team.

It wasnt just an almost pick to likely end the game. It was a 40 yard duck that looked like a punt to the middle of the field. That was a conscience choice by him brother.

Sure in hindsight many other plays happened to get to that point.

Again, if the Pistons are down by 1 with 5 seconds left and Cade travels or dribbles off his knee, he’s gonna get heat. If he pulls up and misses a shot that clangs the rim, it’s part of the game.

He didn’t miss an open WR with an overthrow. He literally tossed it straight up in the air and hit a safety on the chest with zero WRs nearby enough to justify.

Agree on all of this.

Stafford just hit another wide open “safety in the hands” with no WR in the area.

1 Like

Back to back great throws!!!

Nvm that was rude….I just don’t think it’s a point I would push.

1 Like

No, meant what I said. It is too early to speak definitively.

From a chart / point perspective you are correct, but until we know who the players are filling out those picks it is too soon.

Not really.

Wentz was traded for a 1st.

Goff would easily fetch a 1st…

So three firsts and a 3rd?

Keep in mind the “5th” year is becoming more of a mystery each year. Extensions happen after year 4 when the player kills it, and if they bust there is no 5th year.

I would rather have 2 firsts, a solid QB and Iffy vs 3 more cheap years of Parsons.

1 Like

Holmes was a rookie GM with not much time to prepare for the draft, which makes that no 8 pick less valuable. Better getting multiple picks for when you’re actually ready to make them, rather than one that you have to make immediately.

3 picks and Goff or 1 pick and Bridgewater. That’s a no brainer IMO.

3 Likes

I’m not a front office defender for this franchise at all. I’m not sold on Campbell and Holmes like most on here are. With that said, this point above is underrated in the discussion so far. Holmes has been on record saying they are “so much further ahead” in their evaluations this year than they were last year. They are settled in with a system in place. I get coming into the job, with essentially rookies at every major decision making point in the franchise, and saying to yourself that 2 future first rounders plus an immediate 3rd rounder plus Goff to steady the ship - I can see how that offer is more enticing than just one singular 8th overall pick plus a crappy QB in Bridgewater. Reasonable minds can differ on this for sure, and I’m not going to make the point it was the “right” decision… but even as someone who’s not sold on this braintrust I can accept that line of thinking. It’s certainly defenseable. The Lions have not used either of the first round picks they acquired in the trade yet, plus we don’t truly know who the Lions would have taken at #8 so it’s all hypotheticals regardless.

In the mean time the Lions are in the position to put a quality product on the field in the coming years (this coming season probably not so much), Stafford won a Super Bowl - I’m not sure how anyone other than the Panthers can be mad right now LOL.

5 Likes

This is not accurate.
The Panthers offered #8 OA and Teddy… for Stafford.

The Donkeys offered #9 and Drew Lock, but wanted a 2nd round pick back in addition to Stafford.

I just wonder, if Holmes had gone back to the Panthers, and said “here’s what the Rams are offering, are you willing to give up your first round pick in 2022 as well?”–whether Tepper would’ve signed off on that. The hedge fund manager has been adamant about getting a star QB:

Tepper might have pulled the trigger and that would’ve been a better deal.

1 Like

Yep. They could have added Burns to the pot and we’d have gotten our impact EDGE player that way… and… Sewell and Parsons… sniff. Bridgewater/Sewell/Parsons/Burns > Goff, Iffy and an end of the round 1st round pick in 22 and 23.

I don’t think they take Parsons if Bridgewater was the QB coming back. They draft Fields or Jones.

Holmes has a history with Goff. May have made them more comfortable that they didn’t need to go QB last year.

2 Likes

I really like bridgewater. I’d love for him to be our backup. he would die horribly here tho until we get some more skill stuff.

Remember when Gronk was almost traded to the Lions? But then he “retired”

Imagine if they did have the 7th and 8th pick and went Sewell and Parsons no one will ever convince me the Rams trade was the best one for the Lions it was the best for Matt.

1 Like

You can’t know, until you see what we get with the Rams pick this year and next. If we get a better player, or two better players than Parsons (not likely)…but also Iffy, who I think is gonna be a very good one.

Not even then. We have no idea what the Lions would have done with 8 overall or who they would have taken. It’s a moot discussion unless someone is in the mood to project personal assumptions in rewriting history

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.