Thibodeaux or Hamilton through 4 weeks

I take Hamilton then Burks with 1a and 1b.
Hamilton and Adam Anderson is plan B , if you want Defense, then maybe Romeo Doubs in the 2nd.

Thibodeaux, Hamilton of Stingly

2 Likes

Can very easily see the Lions picking #1 overall.

2 Likes

With the thought that we may get the #1 OA pick this year, does the current #1 OA frontrunner Kayvon Thibodeaux fit our current defense? I haven’t seen him play a single snap, but his size makes me assume he is a standard 4-3 type DE. If he doesn’t have much experience playing a stand up edge rushing OLB role, do we change our base defense next year ,or do we play him out of position much like we will eventually do with Sewell this year when Decker returns?

He’s really good at rushing the passer so he’s probably not a fit for our scheme.

8 Likes

He’d play the same position as Romeo and Flowers. Whatever that is.

I know what position he would play here if we didn’t switch schemes, the question is does he fit our 3-4 OLB position? How does he lineup and play in college? Does he appear to have the speed and quickness to be a stand up edge rusher or is he strictly a 4-3 DE?

I ask this because my assumption is the Lions will get kinda screwed again if we do get the #1 pick. It would 100% be our luck that the consensus #1 player is not a scheme fit. We could obviously change our base defense, but yet again that is not at all ideal and is typical Lions luck.

Tank for Philly’s draft picks.

I bet you he fits better than flowers

1 Like

This would be a typical Lion fan line of thinking. Declare that no matter how high we pick, we just needed to pick a little higher. Then if we get the highest pick, declare there is noone worth the pick.

5 Likes

That’s a given! In my head though, I’m picturing a Flowers type scenario for Thib possibly playing out of position here which is worrying.

Just means aaron Glenn and dom capers need to scheme better

He’s nothing like Flowers. He’s like a better version of Julian Okwara.

I mean it’s a realistic scenario isn’t it? In this current scheme a player like Von Miller fits better than Nick Bose right?

Yes, but it also isn’t ideal to change your base defense every year. Players need consistency to play at their best.

Next year we could be looking at thibs barnes rookie jokwara and a line of onwuzarike McNeil brockers i would be okay with that if we had an upgrade at safety and see what is in free agency to add a cb to go with melifonwue and maybe oruwarie

Joey Bosa had the same concerns in the same scheme. They told him not to worry about it. He only stands up occassionally and spends his time with his hand on the ground in nickel and dime packages, and isn’t expected to do much as a standup player otherwise. In the film I reviewed we were standing Flowers up and pushing him out wide in frickin nickel. That’s not a players fit problem, that’s coaches being frickin morons.

4 Likes

What i mean is that the players you have should influence your scheme to a certain extent anyway. The idea that a base defense is more important than putting players in a realistic position for success seems a bit outdated. Players are much more dynamic and multiple these days especially a player as talented as thibs

1 Like

We’re not all that far off. Our black hole at one safety and injuries at CB have made things tough. We need one more stud LB and another safety. Resign Walker and some development out of our youngsters (with another couple coming next year) and we can be serviceable.

1 Like