Thibodeaux VS Hutch

I didn’t watch this game but this article claims otherwise

“… Kayvon Thibodeaux had an impact but was largely neutralized because Utah offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig ran the ball away from the best defensive player in the country…”

“…Thibodeaux wasn’t put in positions to maximize his impact

Thibodeaux had seven tackles and a pass breakup. He regularly stuck with plays from the backside and chased down runners from behind. He did cause some pressure on Rising, but Utah schemed around him for the most part, running the opposite direction, chipping and double-teaming when need be.

To not move Thibodeaux inside or stunt him more often, if for no other reason than to give the Utes a different look, was a missed opportunity. Dropping him into pass coverage on occasion has been OK at points this season, but one play had him dropping with only an end-of-line tight end eligible and resulted in a big play to the other side of the field. When Utah’s offense wasn’t taking Thibodeaux out of the game, Oregon’s defense did too at times…”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/11/13-takeaways-from-oregons-loss-to-utah.html%3FoutputType=amp

Kenny !!

I don’t know who’s scout database you’re using but if they’re saying Hutch is better than KT than yes, they are UM homers and bias.

If the argument is would you rather have Hutch and Booth/Sauce/Matt Corrall/ etc then yeah I think we can all agree on that but it says KT vs Hutch so I took that in a very literal sense.

And in a very literal sense KT is the VASTLY superior prospect to Hutch, who in his own right, looks great and could be a very valuable piece.

Is Karloftus in this convo anywhere, or is there a big drop off from Thibs/ Hutch?

That article sure is being nice to Thibs. Sure they ran the ball away from him, but they also had 2 TD’s running straight at him. Utah ran the ball anywhere they wanted, they had well over 200 yards rushing and 4 TD’s on the ground.

I’m not saying Thibs isn’t a terrific prospect, it just seemed a bit too easy to take him out of the game for someone who is being considered for the 1st overall pick. I want a first overall pick to be a game wrecker in college. Remember what Suh was like @ Nebraska.

And that was the biggest game of the year for Oregon, they came in at #3 in the nation in a primetime game and he’s their captain. They got destroyed all game long. That’s concerning to me. Another thing I noticed is him giving up on plays, not always going 100%, especially in the 2nd half of that game vs Utah. That’s just my take. I posted every snap from the game in this thread above if you want to check it out for yourself.

Not disagreeing with you at all. I didn’t watch the game and just tried to look up his grades. It’s certainly cooled my interest for the number one pick a bit

1 Like

Trust me, I would love to see him going wild and dominating games. The Lions need that kind of player desperately. I’ll be watching him vs the Beavers this weekend.

Oregon State Osu GIF by Oregon State University

1 Like

The article makes a good point in the Ducks not adjusting. I would like to see them stunt him or play him inside.

When Bosa shifted inside the other night against the Steelers over a guard and loaded the sides with edge rushers it resulted in two sacks to ice the game

1 Like

I have trouble coming away with any conclusion other than the guy is overrated. You hear things and expect certain things and its just not there.

1 Like

This is what I want to see. Yes, I’m greedy.

All I said is Hutch is the consensus #2 EDGE behind KT and that he is a consensus top 10OA pick. So it’s not that it’s a terrible EDGE class and a crap DE is getting shoehorned into being the “#2 guy.” It’s that he’s both the #2 guy AND a top 10 overall player in the draft. None of that means he is “better” than KT is. I don’t know that KT is “vastly” superior, as that’s pretty hard to quantify. He’s the better prospect IMO and consensus opinion as well. No argument there. If I could get both Hutch and Corral, then there is no player in this draft, KT included that I like better than getting both of those guys out of our top pick value.

2 Likes

Interesting how the OSU beatdown changed everyone’s opinions