Think about this

Fair enough. If that was a joke I clearly missed it. In my defense I am a bit distracted. My bosses keep expecting me to do my job.

3 Likes

It was. Whether or not it was funny is another question.

That seems unreasonable.

1 Like

Herbert was a very difficult evaluation. This guy says it best:

1 Like

Don’t sell yourself short. I laughed out loud.

I agree……fascists! :rofl:

The funny thing is Patricia and Quinn had an up close view of the guy and still botched it! They weren’t thinking long term.

2 Likes

Herbert was an easy valuation (6 6", mobile, huge arm and calm demeanor). Watched his games at Oregon then pictured him on Bama and compared him to Tua. I was for trading Stafford and drafting Herbert, but knew that would never happen, so was hoping for Derrick Brown as plan B. I also thought Zack Wilson was the top guy in this year’s draft and that ain’t looking so good. The QB that is killing it and surprising me is Murray, but I think he is paired with the right coach.

This is the key. The rest of us just latch onto other people’s opinions at times. Haha.

I never evaluated him for myself. I bought into the opinions of others saying he wasn’t a great prospect.

I wouldn’t mind losing for the next 5 seasons if we get to draft arch Manning. If a Manning can’t win here then nobody will ever be able to.

Herbert was too smart and too well-rounded a human being to be a great quarterback. What you want is a simpleton with no depth beyond football. You know, like Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf.

The evals on Herbert were beyond stupid. Honestly what gives me the most hope about the Lions is how bad other teams are at scouting and evaluating. Maybe a blind squirrel finds a nut…

1 Like

Careful with that. The original “Arch” never won anything with his sad sack team, hence the reason that he wouldn’t let Eli go to the Chargers. The Winner gene might skip generations with the Mannings, so better to go with Peyton’s first grandson. Anybody got a date on that? Maybe shoot for the 2060 draft?

1 Like

From what I’ve read this kid is the real deal. The major reason Archie didn’t win is because the Saints were still an expansion team with no offensive line. We at least, in theory, have that. Don’t crush my dreams with your logic sir! :joy:

Yep. I watch way too much college, or at least my wife says that. I will tape games and sometimes watch them 3 or 4 times, not the case with the Lions lol.

Ha! I used to watch Lions games 2-3 times/week. VHS tapes. All of my people used to make fun of me. I sure did love Barry.

1 Like

You put a team around Goff (like Stafford) and you may find that took care of the problem.
A winning QB comes to an absolute shit team (for the last 60 years), and there are people comparing him to another guy that had an absolute shit team around him and couldn’t make the team better all by himself…
And can’t see the commonality.

1 Like

Eric Hipple is my favorite Lions QB.

1 Like

There weren’t many people here that wanted Herbert, though I do remember a couple beating the drum for him, But more of the board wanted Tua if they wanted a QB. I/m pretty sure the majority of the board wanted Brown (though I was not one of them).

It was a terrible terrible position (3OA) to be in. Two sure things (Burrow and Young), and then nobody. I really really wanted to trade down, for a WR or Kinlaw, Simmons, etc. But with bat-boy at the helm, that just wasn’t happening.

I tip my hat to those that wanted Herbert, but there truly were not many…or many that made their views known anyway.

2 Likes

I didn’t want Herbert because nothing I saw in that Oregon offense translated well to the NFL. I was crazy wrong.

I was locked in on him 2 years ago.
I realize(d) that we have need of many starting caliber players and with only one first round pick, you take the highest graded guy, especially when you have Jared Goff on your team.
Rest assured, Herbert would suck on this team.
Football is a team sport!

I could really care less about QB’s. I’d prefer building a great defense.

Just imagine our defense with Isaiah Simmons & Micah Parsons at LB right now.

1 Like