Think about this

I wanted either Brown or Jeudy in a trade-down scenario.
I know, I know…Me…wanting a DT…SHOCKER!

I wasn’t posting here in 2020 before the draft, so I have no receipts to prove my preference at the time.

Howver… I will say I would have 100% taken Herbert at #3 if there were no trade offers fo move down.
I am not saying I wanted him to replace Stafford, but I viewed it the as the same as the Chargers taking Eli Manning when everyone knew Eli wouldn’t end up playing there.

Obviously… Eli was more of a sure thing to command a big trade offer, but I was very confident the Dolphins and Chargers had little option but to draft a QB… plus Carolina and Jacksonville were at #8 and #9 with Teddy and Minshew as QBs.

There was never a doubt in my mind that the Lio s wouldn’t have been able to swing a trade with 1 of those 4 teams if they weren’t asking for a crazy high price.

And… I would have been fine with Okudah, Brown, Lamb, Jeudy, or Wirfs if they traded down 2 to 6 picks.
I thought Okudah would be better than he has shown… so I missed that… but no way I would have taken him at #3. But… I wouldn’t have taken ANY position player at #3 in that draft with Chase Young off the board.

It had to be a QB… or a trade down.

1 Like

No disagreement here.

2 Likes

Pat Kaputo wanted Herbert but not many others I wanted Isaish Simmons

1 Like

I do remember him wanting Herbert and New York Lion I believe on here was big on Herbert.

I wanted Tua or a trade back. Tua not looking to good. I was wrong on that one big time.

Herbert is looking like the real deal! Looks like another draft pick I’ll be bitching about the Lions not taking for years.

1 Like

Who is “him”? Edit - never mind - i see you are referring to caputo, the sportswriter.
New York Lion rings a bell, the other one that I remembered was @wolfcub36 Wolfcub I think.

Yes, you’re correct on that. He still wanted to pass on him because of Stafford though.

2 Likes

same. QB was not at all on my radar

Fouts a San Francisco high school graduate

He came to my high school in 05’ I still have his autographed picture.

People’s feelings on Herbert and whether they wanted to draft him are two separate issues. I liked Herbert and said he was a top 5 pick, but I didn’t want to actually draft him to back up Stafford. But I will say I wasn’t exactly surrounded by people agreeing with me on Herbert. Quite the opposite, actually. So its kind of funny to see the board do what it normally does after a guy finds success. And the “tank for Tua” crowd has thinned out…with some of the more honest people willing to speak their truth.

My biggest miss so far from that draft has to be Grant Delpit. Not only did I have him pegged as a top 20 pick type talent (not even close to where he was drafted)…but he’s only played a few games so far.

The problem is Herbert would look like Goff or worse with this supporting cast. The Chargers have some good talent. That’s the blueprint for how this should be built. The Lions need to improve that defense and get some WRs before even thinking about buying the shiny new savior. The way I see it we have two choices: We can construct it right and throw a slightly above average (or hopefully better) QB in there and probably find success. Ooor, we can throw a great prospect in with this white-hot dumpster inferno and watch him crumble, or make us just good enough to keep picking second tier talent in the teens and low twenties. Sound familiar?

3 Likes

mine was J-Will. I figured he’d be getting 200/game, by now.
Partly joking. :wink:

That’s a different draft class. I was just talking about the Herbert/Tua 2020 class. I wanted us to draft Derrick Brown, and my other team drafted Derrick Brown. So it all worked out in the end.

1 Like

I wanted Isaiah Simmons to & Parsons,

I had Brown and Jeudy as 1a and 1b, with a slight lean toward getting Jeudy. Wanted a trade down scenario to snag one of 'em.

I’m always a DT first type, if the right guy is available.

Yeah, I remember you saying Herbert “was everything you could want in a QB”…or something to that affect.
I do remember the criticism’s of him though, being quiet and not a leader.
NewYorkLion was probably his biggest advocate.
I was like you, I knew we weren’t going to draft him to backup Stafford. Especially when BQ and MP had to win now…I just wanted us to get someone to trade up to our spot so we could get some more magic beans…
687da302-40fc-4260-8a98-fe2ffe58dc34_text

1 Like

I remember those criticisms. And to a degree they still might be true. But the guy is straight out of central casting for a QB outside of that one criticism. I called him a rich man’s Joe Flacco. Because it was like bringing up a rookie Flacco on a video game…giving him a better face…then juicing up his ratings in nearly every category (including speed and agility) and then using the “buff” body type instead of the normal one.

1 Like

Herbert and Josh Allen were both quite inaccurate in college. Prevailing wisdom has been that accuracy issues are tough to fix. They may be changing that thought process though.

1 Like

Or you could be looking at two outliers. That’s one of the tough questions. I don’t know that those guys would make me comfortable drafting a guy who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn in college.

1 Like