This board is acting ridiculous

line up to go for it and at least try a hard count or see if there is a match-up you like.

1 Like

We are number 2 in scoring offense. If we keep that up we’re going to win quite a few ganes this year. Our defense may not be serviceable enough for that to matter but it is a sign of significant improvement yoy.

He went for 6 4th downs in a game he never trailed lol. I’ve never heard of such a thing. I didn’t want him to go for it on 4th down at the end of the game. It’s a punt, all day everyday. The Vikings aren’t thinking TD with ~1:00 go from the 10~20 yard line. They play for a FG. You can’t lose the game in regulation punting the ball.

The Lions aren’t very good! Just because you think they are doesn’t make it fact. We have won 4 of our last 20 games. A coach shouldn’t be putting his team in game altering situations that many times in a football game. Sure, if he does and they win, he should get credit. But if he does and they lose, he should be blamed 100%.

You aren’t winning or staying very long just going for every 4th and short on your own 40 in…it’s reckless football and that doesn’t fly in the NFL. There’s a reason nobody else does it.

3 Likes

Where in the hell did I say they are very good???

You’re trying to argue about something that wasn’t even said.
My entire post was about the players, the coaches, and the refs all being responsible for the loss….

1 Like

That was probably the wrong thing to say, my apologies.

But can you address the other 90% of what I said. Is what I’m saying not valid? You think DCs approach to decision making is good? You think it’s smart to put your team in the situations he does? Especially as many as he did today? He gave them the ball at the 50 yard line with 5 minutes to go before the half up 7. Washed away a Lions dominated half. And the Vikings got the ball to start the second half. Then decided to kick a field goal instead of punt, knowing that if he missed he put TD in play. 56 yards is two chunk plays to get you into the red zone. Making a team start from the 10-20 yard line almost eliminates a TD.

He set his players up to fail. I don’t know how anyone can argue otherwise.

1 Like

Yup

1 Like

Going for a bunch of 4th down conversions is tough to sustain over the long haul. Relying on this defense that is not great to start… and missing a bunch of players… is not really sustainable either.

That is why many of us expect 7-8 wins this year. :man_shrugging:

I’m not always thrilled with the X’s and O’s…
but we also don’t have the best Jimmy and Joe’s…

3 Likes

I love DC, and I want him to be the guy. But coaching like he does has zero chance of working. And I, as well as the entire fan base, will turn on him if this is what he’s doing as a HC with his in game decisions.

Maybe I am exaggerating and placing the entire blame on DC to make my point. But you can’t control the refs, and you put your players in the situations he is putting them in, he is setting them up for failure.

Why do you feel the need to point the finger?
After every loss fingers are pointed
It’s so juvenile

3 Likes

Seriously? Team is up 3, opponent on their own 36, a minute and change left w/no TO’s. Defense yields 64 yds in 25 seconds and you have eyes only for DC?

I call that a serious slack of imagination.

5 Likes

They were on the 44…needed to go 56 yards to score a TD. If they are on the 14, is TD even in the thoughts of the Vikings? And coach put them in the situation to have to defend a short field. It’s a young, inexperienced team. Was it bad defense, sure…but is that a coach putting his team in the best position for success? Absolutely not

So many threads - good and bad - vitriol and love. So I just decided to respond to this one.

I said in several threads go 2-2 in the first 4, and I’m okay. Didn’t like Philly, didn’t like today. But win next week and this team is 2-2 and I’m okay. I have zero overreaction or underreaction. Get to 2-2.

5 Likes

You’re acting as if DC’s decision gave the V’s the ball in the red zone. The truth is that at “winning time” the defense GAVE UP 56 YARDS AND A TD IN 25 SECONDS W/ZERO TIMEOUTS. That’s pathetic, not DC’s fault, and, if anything, the winning drive was even easier than that sounds. The receiver was open by 15 yds on the TD score. The defense IS allowed to make a play to win the game, right? No rule against that?

But you’re going on (and on) about Campbell.

1 Like

If you can acknowledge DC made some bonehead decisions (especially the last one), I will acknowledge the defense was pathetic on that last drive.

2 Likes

See I don’t agree with that last part. If we’re healthy, our offense is WAY up there in terms of talent IMO. If Goff plays like today we’ll win at least 8 games. Even with this D.

1 Like

Dunno why you need me to acknowledge DC’s mistakes before admitting the obvious, but… sure. I definitely thought the FG attempt was a mistake - too long for Seibert, would only put the Lions up 6, and I had little faith in the D even before those 25 seconds. Certainly, I had more faith in the O getting 4 yds to win the game than in the D preventing the FG or TD.

But I leave being much more worried about the D than Dan’s decision making.

3 Likes

no disagreement from me… offense could be top 5 unit…
defense needs more “dudes”…. and that might get better if some guys get healthy.

2 Likes

Dan him self said he made the wrong decision, so can we all shut the hell up already. People standing up for are just has bad as myself and others for saying it was wrong decision

1 Like

So a defense that gave up 245 yards and 14 points through 3 quarters on the road you had little to no confidence in? 7 of their 14 points were scored after our coach went for another 4th down at the 5 minute mark of the second quarter. He basically gifted them points giving them the ball at the 50.

Seems like you have a problem admitting the obvious…today the defense was as good as we can probably hope for this season. If he won’t punt today with a minute remaining…When do you?

And I’m not saying we have a good defense by any means. Be lucky if we don’t end the season bottom 5. I expect them to struggle due to having a lot of average at best talent. I do not expect our HC to make the decisions he did today. That’s the difference for me.

I even acknowledged earlier in the thread that I was probably exaggerating the blame to prove a point. Our HC needs to be a lot better and not so reckless. Going for 6 4th downs in a game is a losing formula.

2 Likes

Well, you think he should have gone for that SEVENTH 4th down, right? Problem isn’t that he went for too many 4ths; it’s that he went for too few!

Gotta get your story straight, my man.

1 Like