This game will tell you if Lions are for real

I’m not just looking for a win here. Time to put the pedal to the metal and punish a team. Get up fast and just keep pouring it on.

1 Like

One game is not going to tell you if this team is for real. They have to produce a record of wins against good teams at full strength and sometimes on the road. Can they play consistently good football or not?Tell you what, win the North; that’ll convince a lot of people the Lions are for real.

1 Like

Yeah, there is that. Also Stafford could play against tendencies.

It’s a huge chess game for sure.

You guys are super overrating it. A good D coordinator can get just as much info as Schwartz by watching the game film, but believe what you need to believe.

Disagree. Watching game film doesn’t give you much insight into a player’s head as working with him every day for several years. Night and day difference really. We may not be able to notice it on TV, but it will be going on down on the field IMO.

1 Like

I don’t “need” to believe it. I just do. I don’t know why you have to say it’s a “need”…

So you’re saying that Schwartz knows absolutely nothing more than anyone can glean by watching game film? I just want to be clear on this.

You are right. Only Schwartz can figure out any way to game plan against Stafford. I mean, last year the Vikings and Bears didn’t seem to have much of a problem game planning against Stafford, but it must have been luck since they didn’t know Stafford as well as Schwartz.
Stafford has been in the league 11 years. I am pretty sure you a D coordinator doesn’t need intimate knowledge of Stafford to make up a competent game plan. But once again, if you need to believe Schwartz knows how to game plan against Stafford better than any other good D coordinator , then go for it.

When Stafford throws for 300 yards and 3 TDs what are you going to say?

When did I say this?

Are you familiar with the term “strawman”?

I don’t know for sure. Did we win the game? Did he also throw a pick 6 on a terrible throw and get sacked a lot too? Were the TDs little dink passes that were all YAC?

I don’t remember guaranteeing that Stafford wouldn’t have a good game because we’re playing Schwartz, either…

Completely different offense. JBC was entirely predictable. This offense is built to disguise what’s coming. They should only become more proficient executing it and expanding their repertoire as the season progresses. Hopefully, anyway…

1 Like

Good point. Not a whole lot of tape on the current offense.

Or the front 3 in the 4th quarter in AZ.

1 Like

I agree with you and disagree with you at the same time. I agree that some people are completely overrating it. I disagree that being with someone for 5 years is no different than just looking at the game film. When you really know someone like Schwartz would know Stafford, it gives you a different perspective of what you see on film.

Throwing out random examples that do not apply to Stafford, maybe on film you see him flushed left and nail a few passes to a crosser over the middle. Then you see him forced to step up in the pocket to drill an out route, and he misses them on film. Watching game film, you are going to see a guy that is good at one thing and bad at the other…which is fine. But if you’ve watched a million practice reps like Schwartz has, it might give you a different perspective. You might understand that he typically misses the play where he’s flushed left, and nails the other pass damn near every time. But for whatever reason, by pure fluke…it looks like the opposite.

Its not that Schwartz will have different film that everyone else, he’ll just have a different perspective of what he’s seeing. Another random thing is that Schwartz knows what Matt was taught for 5 years. He might recognize something he knows Matt was taught to see or do in a certain situation, where if you were just some guy looking at film you wouldn’t notice the pattern.

2 Likes

Good post Iggy. I agree…this is a statement game. Normally going into Philly, tall order. But if we are in about as good of position as it gets. A win here sets up a huge showdown with KC

Honestly I can see us winning here and then giving KC all they want…or losing here and going into Green Bay on a 2 game losing streak.

This is a huge game for us. Big fork in the road as far as our season goes

1 Like

Says the guy who can’t walk and chew gum at the same time… :crazy_face:

I think balance is key to the season. The Lions just have to play better.
The Eagles don’t scare me. I think they are favored.

1 Like

The Eagles are favored and Pederson has only lost 3 home games since he got there. They are not an easy win. Besides the Lions have a fair amount of key injuries themselves. I’m expecting a close game to be honest.

I suspect the Eagles will struggle against our TE’s. This has been a weakness for them and we provide a tough challenge. I expect to see more TJ this game than last game.

My big concern is stopping the run and turnovers. The Lions run defense has been inconsistent and if PHI gets a run game going they can control the game. If Schwartz defense can wreak havoc and force turnovers the game could get out of hand.

But I do agree this is a statement game for DET. Either they step up or they don’t. A loss here wouldn’t be an end all to the season but it would be an indication. 3 games in and hopefully the Lions open things up.

I can’t say this game will say the Lions are for real. Its still too early in the season. If we win tomorrow, and then lose out, what did we learn? That we could beat an injury depleted team and melted down?

I agree with the rest, that this game is very winnable, and its a game that you can make a statement. Going on the road and winning a tough game, regardless of who is playing, and a chance to keep the unbeaten streak alive going into KC.

The Irish hot lunch lady in elementary school used to make a hamburger noodle special called Beef O’Reel

Maybe the lions can be like my third grade lunch and Beef O’Reel fo once yo

This is a game that the Lions can win. If they cant win games against teams missing half of their star players, its a lost season.

Anything else is excuse making.

1 Like