This Just In: Levi and Alim Don't Play The Same Position

Sure. It can just as easily be said that McNeill’s weakness is lack of consistent penetration and QB disruption. Once you get out of the first, guys with the more singular traits is what you see, that’s why the don’t go in the first round. Nixon has a knack for getting into the backfield quickly and that is how and why he will be deployed. I always had Onwuzurike ahead of Nixon and so it was. Because LO’s game is more well rounded, even though he is a bit of a projection as a pure 3t here. I think Nixon will have a good career and he will be used as an interior pass rusher. If he can’t 2 gap, who cares, that isn’t and won’t be his game.

I’m not talking in 2-gap terms. What I’m picking up on these guys is that Nixon is more apt to be run out of his gap where our guys possess the strength to maintain it.

If he can manage to stay out of trouble…

I think the problem is your average fan doesn’t know about the different Dline shades. Both Levi and Alim are defensive tackles who will line up in different shades on different plays, but Levi is so versatile, that you could put him at nose tackle or defensive end.

Same with Barnes, right now Ourlads has him lined up as the second string Will, but maybe he can play Mike and Sam.

I pointed this out in the Nixon thread.

He’s great at smashing the gap and getting up field as a pass rusher. But in the run game he gets caught up by blockers and taken out of the play too often. Why is that? Is it lack of experience, strength or another factor.

So, with re to Nixon the best observation was by Greg Cosell IMO, which he made prior to the draft but I never heard. Go to the 18 minute mark…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvTHZQkV5jw

Still very interested in what the “character issue’s” are. Teams claiming he’s off their boards but no one ever actually laid it out.

“Nixon is a powerful individual who seems to make things happen at the drop of a hat. He boasts some impressive starting experience at the college level and should be a nice fit within the locker room judging by reports of his outstanding character away from the gridiron.”

?

This is how I kinda see it too.

Hand is in a contract year so it’s now or never, and I’m OK with either. Would rather have him turn into the stud we saw glimmers of but not if it’s a now and then situation. Cornell, yep, tough deal.

IMO, the key to understanding these picks isn’t to label them correctly. Many times getting the label right is unimportant like calling a defense a 4-3 or 3-4. The key is to understand that what the Lions got were two guys who can ATTACK a gap with athleticism and disrupt. Or at least that is what they hope they got.

McNeil is probably going to primary play shaded at the 1 over the center and occasionally two gap when I assume they play some 3-4 EAGLE or TITE even play a little 3 tech. Levi could technically be called a DE in the new scheme, but he is also going to attack a gap and play with explosion and quickness. Then also probably play some 4i. Not as sturdy as McNeill but quicker.

But I think the overall point of the OP is to simply say we got ourselves two defensive lineman with specific skill sets and I agree there.

1 Like

Nope we are running a 3 man over front, same the rams have been running for a few years. Brockers even talked about it in an interview. The 3 man over front is very similar in principles as a 4-3, to where they will line up at a 5 tech, a 1 tech a 3 tech, then have the 4th rusher standing up on the outside shoulder of the weak side tackle

Blockquote

Detroit, meanwhile, is expected to deploy what will look like a 3-4 defense, with first-year defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn calling the plays. And it’s a scheme that Brockers is equipped to play in, after his years of playing in new L.A. Chargers head coach Brandon Staley’s version of the 3-4 with the Rams.

Brockers described his favorite part of the scheme to The Detroit News.

1 Like

I brought this up in the Nixon thread. If you want to read it then click the link.

what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you

angry liam neeson GIF

1 Like

You shed zero light on the situation. Unless you can show a link to your allegations of him being suspended, etc, it’s means nothing. I have GOOGLED it and asked people and no one knows what you are talking about. In fact, the Panthers commented on his character as a reason WHY they drafted him.

Google Daviyon Nixon dorm room incident.

You can sift through what little info is out there but there’s info on it. They’ve done a good job of keeping the details of the story out of the press. My nephew played for Iowa and even he doesn’t know all the details.

Here’s one for ya.

No there isn’t, I have GOOGLED it and talked to people and once again, no one knows what you are talking about. All your article says is that there was an “incident” but that, “I was unable to find any substantive info beyond internet message board speculation and rumors. Sports Illustrated says he was cleared of wrongdoing. In January of 2019, he announced that he was entering the transfer portal. Instead of leaving, he remained at Iowa.”

You said, "During his redshirt year there was an incident in the dorms at Iowa and he was suspended from the school. He put his name into the transfer portal before the investigation was completed. Which signified that he expected to be kicked off the team and out of school. " This is total BS. He was never suspended from school and your entire remark is crap, unless you have something more. In a world where beat writers can’t wait to break a story there is nothing, repeat, nothing. But in your opinion it’s because IOWA is simply good at covering things up. You even have a “source” on the team and got what, well, nothing. Are you still going to maintain that he was suspended from the school?

I responded to you in the other thread with two links that support what I am saying along with his post. So I’ll share that post here too.

lol … ok bud … it’s been reported on. The info I shared is out there.

I know Kiper and Brugler have both spoke about it. The details have never been publicly released by the school. Iowa is pretty good at keeping things under wraps.

I’m just sharing what I know. You can chose to believe it or not.

Peace

If you want to know more than what’s in those links then do a little research I guess.

I have, and when was Nixon suspended? And was he or was he not cleared of whatever incident there was according to SI? And did the team that drafted him say that his character factored into them taking him?

Pick a thread I am not bouncing back and forth between two threads. I’ve answered this in the other thread. Why are you asking the same questions in two separate threads?

The info your asking is in my posts.

Then you should have no problem linking it.

I gave you 3 links that all support what I said and I told you what I know. If you wish to learn more then do your own research on the subject. Peace