This rebuild could take 3-4 years minimum

we already knew it was a 3 season -build, and that this season was a trial run for our team foundation…not losing my shit off 1 game !! there are 16 more to go…

I’m guessing they’ll stick with Goff for next season and draft their guy in 2023.

Now they have crying need at WR1, WR2, CB1, ILB (Barnes will be good but need another stud inside), S (possibly 2). There still seems to be no pass rush yet. That was really disappointing. I expected some pressure. Add a rush LB to the list.

They will need all their 4 first rounders to hit over the next two years to even be competitive.

This is a young team. If they can go 2-6 out of the gate, I see them finishing strong and go 9-8.

Goff is barely learning who he can rely on to get the ball to and make plays, his first time on a new team new-everything to him…figure he’ll get adjusted to playing here with his team mates but he looked nervous /jittery.

Doubt it but that would be awesome and massively bullish

Goff is who he is. The tell for me was the last play of the game. Not sure where his head was at for that. A winner thinks, if there is any breakdown in protection I’ve got to chuck into the end zone. He wasn’t even thinking like that. Something a sandlot QB would be aware of.

Not going to bag on Goff too much, but he needs a stud team around him to win. I hope he elevates his game but he looks like the placeholder game manager many believed him to be when he arrived in DET.

4 Likes

Blocking seemed to be the main problem on that play. 49ers ran a stunt and it appears Ragnow was too far out and got caught out position allowing the 49ers blitzer to get in Goff’s face.

https://youtu.be/jXriPs8KNZs?t=804

It also appears that Goff’s 1st read was to his left (Cephus and possibly the slot WR undercutting Cephus route with a route to the sideline), with only 17 seconds on the clock and no timeouts, getting out of bounds was a priority.

However, I agree that there was nobody in that zip code when he threw the ball, so either it was a timing route that was off or Goff just threw it away not realizing it was 4th down.

That was the problem, it was 4th down. He has to have the awareness that he’s got to make something happen there. I know it’s easy to play armchair QB on Monday, but damn that was lame.

I agree - 3 years is probably best-case scenario for a team that can make the playoffs. 4-5 to actual compete for a title (assuming best case scenario - particularly since this team hasn’t been a real competitor since the early nineties).

Anthony Lynn might have something to answer for there. He’s got to be in Goff’s ear to cut him loose there and throw it downfield damn the torpedoes. Your only shot.

2 Likes

Good thing that he’s made sure to think in 60% of his games

If you don’t have natural killer instincts (something Stafford was criticized for) the OC has got to make it dead clear what the situation is. Make a play. Better an INT than throwing it to nobody. Yikes.

Tough to tell whether Vaitai was supposed to pass off his guy to Ragnow and pick up Ragnows guy. Pretty sure that’s how they coach those stunts. But Hal stuck with his guy all the way through and wasn’t anywhere near Ragnow when Rags let his guy go.

“Alas, aggressive architecture doesn’t always build a sturdy house. Jared Goff was largely timid at quarterback, a quality that cannot be a building block. Of his first 43 pass attempts, just two traveled more than 15 yards down the field per a FOX broadcast graphic.”

“FOX broadcast noted sadly, “So many missed opportunities for the Detroit Lions today.” While even capitalizing on all the missed throws from Goff, the drops, the missed tackles, whatever Will Harris was doing on defense”

Love that last part. Lol

1 Like

Nah. Competitive by year 2, or it’s on to the next plan.

Thinking Math GIF

Exactly…Goff is a stop gap. Qb is a dire need once one worthy becomes available. The good problem is that quinn/patricia left our entire roster devoid of talent we can take BPA

1 Like

I don’t think Goff is a ling term answer but we all knew he’s a QB that doesn’t play well under pressure. And one of the leagues best when protected

Dude had 33QB pressures yesterday. They were in his grill like McGill. (not sure if that’s a saying, but I’m rolling with it)

Granted the Niner front is easily top 3-5 so hopefully it won’t look as bad going forward

The defense though is a lost cause. I next years draft is strong in defenders

The route tree didn’t have a receiver in the endzone. That wasn’t the play there.

The last play has me more concerned about Lynn than Goff.

It was 4th and 9 with no timeouts left.
The 49ers had just demonstrated that they were going to jump any route to the sideline on the prior 3rd down play… so Lynn should have been thinking endzone.

Knowing that Nelson needed help, they Hock chip the DE, which slowed him off the line… taking away the best jump ball threat we had.

If it were me… I would have had Hock, Benson, St. Brown, and Cephus running verticals.

Something like the screenshot below… but have the RB stay in to block. I would have Cephus running the go route at top of screen, Hock running the seam/post option out of the bunch… and St. Brown on the side line at bottom out of the bunch for a possible back shoulder throw if early pressure as a last resort.